Old 04-26-2008, 08:23 PM
"Niels Andersen"

Default USB Drive sometimes auto mounts as read-only

Let's try that again, this time as a fresh thread...

My USB Drive sometimes auto mounts as a read-only file system on Ubuntu
7.10 i386 desktop.* This does not happen frequently, but when it does,
it means I can't update any files on the drive.* How do I switch it to
a read-write file system?* Is there something I can do to keep it from
being mounted as read-only?

I have tried unmounting it and inserting it into another USB port,
with the same results.* I am going to reboot my desktop* to see if I
can resolve this issue.* If that fails, I intend to copy all the files
off the USB drive, format it (as FAT32), and then restore the files.

Thanks,
Niels
--
Niels Andersen
Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Old 04-26-2008, 08:34 PM
"Niels Andersen"

| My USB Drive sometimes auto mounts as a read-only file system on Ubuntu
7.10 i386 desktop.
|* This does not happen frequently, but when it does,
it means I can't update any files on the drive.
|* How do I switch it to
a read-write file system?* Is there something I can do to keep it
| from
being mounted as read-only?

| I have tried unmounting it and inserting it into another USB port,
with the same results.
|* I am going to reboot my desktop* to see if I
can |* resolve this issue.* If that fails, I
| intend to copy all the files
off the USB drive, format it (as FAT32), and then restore the files.

The reboot did not resolve the issue.* Next, I will try copying the files from the USB drive,
reformat it, and then put the files back on.

Niels

Old 04-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Anna EdwARds

I would actually do it as ext3 (2 gb or more) or ext2 (otherwise)

Sent from my phone using flurry - Get free mobile email and news at: http://www.flurry.com