Old 04-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Anna EdwARds

Default Question about gpl

I have a question about the gpl license. If i have an open source product that is in-compatible with the gpl license, and if the license it allready has dosn't strictly forbid it, could i release the new project under the gpl license? Like one currently under a microsoft open source license.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 14:47 -0500, Anna EdwARds wrote:
> I have a question about the gpl license.

Such questions are best not addressed to this list. First read the GPL
itself, its FAQ [1] and the Howto [2].

[1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html
[2] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html

Then if you have questions, ask

> If i have an open source product that is in-compatible with the gpl
> license, and if the license it allready has dosn't strictly forbid it,
> could i release the new project under the gpl license? Like one
> currently under a microsoft open source license.

NOTE: you can only relicense software when you are the sole copyright
holder or when you have the written consent of all copyright holders.

You can DEFINITELY NOT redistribute some software that is under a
Microsoft license under any other license (unless you are Microsoft).

Read the license terms of the Microsoft license, you will find that they
allow very little, and certainly not relicensing.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Nils Kassube

Anna EdwARds wrote:
> I have a question about the gpl license. If i have an open source
> product that is in-compatible with the gpl license, and if the license
> it allready has dosn't strictly forbid it, could i release the new
> project under the gpl license? Like one currently under a microsoft
> open source license.

You may get some answers to your question, but you can't be sure if they
are relevant. Only a lawyer can give you reliable answers to legal
questions.

Nils

Old 04-26-2008, 08:14 PM
"Phil Bieber"

Old 04-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 22:11 +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> Then if you have questions, ask

... a mailing list specializing in GPL and possibly a lawyer.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Anna EdwARds

Yeah but i have access to neither a lawyer ('constitutional rights only belong to adults' and i am 13) nor the greater part of the internet

_____________________________

Sent from my phone using flurry - Get free mobile email and news at: http://www.flurry.com

Old 04-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Anna EdwARds

Well i know for a fact that you can release gpl programs under gpl compatible licenses.

_____________________________

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 9:47 PM, Anna EdwARds wrote:

> I have a question about the gpl license. If i have an open source product

> that is in-compatible with the gpl license, and if the license it allready

> has dosn't strictly forbid it, could i release the new project under the gpl license? Like one currently under a microsoft open source license.

Hi!

I don't know the contence of the MS OS license, but I would expect,

that you are not allowed to rerelease the software under another

license. In fact, the GPL is the same. When you alter an existing OSS

programm that uses the GPL, you *have to* release your project under

the terms of the GPL.

That's the way I see it, but I'm not quite sure.

Cheers

Phil Bieber

- --

Avoid rape - say yes!

Warnings from the manual for Layer Express v2 (an AutoCAD extension):

Written on Page 12 (Blank page separating Ch. 1 & 2):

To reduce the risk of shock,

Do not remove the cover of this book.

No serviceable components inside.

GPG KEY ID (Philipp Bieber): 0x0185E301

FINGERPRINT: CA81 28C2 E63F DAF8 5ED4 DACB 7C26 EE5B 0185 E301

Phil Bieber - philbieber@gmail.com

GPG KEY ID (Philipp Bieber Work): 0x3E43576A

FINGERPRINT: F043 92A1 2A2C 5256 52A9 DECB A39F B04C 3E43 576A

Philipp Bieber - philipp.bieber@gundlach.de

Spell a grand slam in this game where word skill meets World Series. Get in the game.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 15:44 -0500, Anna EdwARds wrote:
> Well i know for a fact that you can release gpl programs under gpl
> compatible licenses.

PLEASE read the links I provided and get legal counseling before
"releasing" ANYTHING.

You can "release" (read: relicense) ONLY if you have the copyright.

What you can do with programs under some licenses (like the GPL) is
to /redistribute/ them, but then you need to leave the license intact,
as the GPL, for example, specifically states.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 15:41 -0500, Anna EdwARds wrote:
> Yeah but i have access to neither a lawyer ('constitutional rights
> only belong to adults' and i am 13) nor the greater part of the
> internet

I am not a lawyer, but in this case I would suggest that you probably
cannot perform any legal acts at all without the consent of your legal
guardian (most likely parent).

Old 04-26-2008, 09:07 PM
Anna EdwARds

Well i know that much. They have given me permission to do anything (including take over the internet dont plan to though)