Old 04-26-2008, 06:39 PM
Bob McConnell

Default Which scanner

Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> angels mail wrote:
>> Hi to all )
>> I'm planning to buy a scanner and I'm searching around to find out which
>> one would work on Ubuntu 7.10... Can someone of you help me with the
>> decision? And... I wouldn't buy the most expensive one ))
>>
>> thanks
>

>>From personal experience, HP provides Linux support for all its products.

That depends entirely on the vintage of the product. I have a perfectly
good ScanJet 4600 that they won't even talk to me about. On the other
hand my wife's Photosmart 2575 All-in-one just worked when we plugged it
into Gutsy. But the Dell BIOS won't boot until we turn it off.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Old 04-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Bob McConnell wrote:
>> From personal experience, HP provides Linux support for all its products.
>>

> That depends entirely on the vintage of the product. I have a perfectly
> good ScanJet 4600 that they won't even talk to me about.

If this is a scanner, have you tried installing and using Kooka? What
version of Ubuntu are you using?

Old 04-26-2008, 07:19 PM
Bob McConnell

Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Bob McConnell wrote:
>>> From personal experience, HP provides Linux support for all its products.
>>>
>> That depends entirely on the vintage of the product. I have a perfectly
>> good ScanJet 4600 that they won't even talk to me about.
>

> If this is a scanner, have you tried installing and using Kooka? What
> version of Ubuntu are you using?

My wife is using Gutsy (7.10). But she already has the Photosmart
working on that. I use Slackware for all of my boxen. The only one with
X-Windows installed has the XFCE manager, since I found both Gnome and
KDE to have way more overhead than I need.

I had never seen any references to Kooka before. What is it? Will it
work under XFCE?

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Old 04-27-2008, 01:38 AM
Ioannis Vranos

Bob McConnell wrote:
> I had never seen any references to Kooka before. What is it? Will it
> work under XFCE?

I do not know, but I suppose it will.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:04 AM
Bob McConnell

Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Bob McConnell wrote:
>> I had never seen any references to Kooka before. What is it? Will it
>> work under XFCE?
>

> I do not know, but I suppose it will.

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter. Kooka uses the SANE library. Looking
at the list of supported devices, the 4600 is one of nearly two dozen HP
models it explicitly states is NOT supported. Apparently HP never
released the documentation on the chips used in that model.

Thanks anyway,

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Old 04-27-2008, 02:27 AM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 10:35 -0700, Jim Smith wrote:
> Zach wrote:
> > I bought a Canon LiDE 30 on ebay for dirt cheap a few years ago and
> > have never regretted it.
> > Many of the LiDE scanners are well supported under linux. They scan
> > great, and many of them are very slim and are usb-powered, meaning
> > they don't require a bulky power adapter.
> >
> > Here's a list of scanners currently supported by the Linux's scanner
> > infrastructure:
> > http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html
> >
> > Here are some of the Canon LiDE 30 scanners on ebay:
> > http://tinyurl.com/4teclw
> >
> > On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 11:12 AM, angels mail <angels.mails@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi to all )
> >> I'm planning to buy a scanner and I'm searching around to find out which one
> >> would work on Ubuntu 7.10... Can someone of you help me with the decision?
> >> And... I wouldn't buy the most expensive one ))
> >>
> >> thanks
> >> --
> >> Cheers, Angels
> >

> Ditto for me. I was given a LiDE 60 for my birthday and it has always worked fine.
>
> Luck....
> Jim

Hello everybody,
Yes, this question would come from me too ! ;-)

Currently I own a very old Canon Canoscan 600 with SCSi interface.
Does one of you have some, hopefully good, experience with this model ?

If yes, I would like to hear about ...
... and of not: I have to decide a change to, looks like, a newer LIDE
too !? ;-))

TIA for your help and hints.
Cheers, svobi

Old 04-27-2008, 02:36 AM
Ioannis Vranos

Bob McConnell wrote:
> Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>> Bob McConnell wrote:
>>> I had never seen any references to Kooka before. What is it? Will it
>>> work under XFCE?
>>
>> I do not know, but I suppose it will.
>>

> Unfortunately, it doesn't matter. Kooka uses the SANE library. Looking
> at the list of supported devices, the 4600 is one of nearly two dozen HP
> models it explicitly states is NOT supported. Apparently HP never
> released the documentation on the chips used in that model.
>
> Thanks anyway,

Give it a try anyway.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:02 AM
"Robert Stockdale IV"

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 10:36 PM, Ioannis Vranos <ivranos@freemail.gr> wrote:

Bob McConnell wrote:

> Ioannis Vranos wrote:

>> Bob McConnell wrote:

>>> I had never seen any references to Kooka before. What is it? Will it

>>> work under XFCE?

>> I do not know, but I suppose it will.

> Unfortunately, it doesn't matter. Kooka uses the SANE library. Looking

> at the list of supported devices, the 4600 is one of nearly two dozen HP

> models it explicitly states is NOT supported. Apparently HP never

> released the documentation on the chips used in that model.

> Thanks anyway,

Give it a try anyway.

I have a Plustek, Inc. OpticPro UT12/16/24 Scanner and it works great. I also use kooka with no prblems. I bought this one when I couldn get a HP scanner to work in Linux. I canīt remember the HP model, however, I do remember doing some research and discovered it was not supported. I think I paid $80.00 for the Plustek 3 or 4 years ago. Hope this helps.

Bob

Old 04-28-2008, 07:31 AM
"angels mail"

Many many thanks to all of you...because I'm using ubuntu just lately, for about 6 months and I wouldn't ever switched* back to windows
as I have problems with other hardware, your answers are really appreciated...

I will look around .. considering your suggestions

anyway, I'm using ubuntu 7.10 on dell computer )

>>> I had never seen any references to Kooka before. What is it? Will it

>>> work under XFCE?

>> I do not know, but I suppose it will.

> Unfortunately, it doesn't matter. Kooka uses the SANE library. Looking

> at the list of supported devices, the 4600 is one of nearly two dozen HP

> models it explicitly states is NOT supported. Apparently HP never

> released the documentation on the chips used in that model.

> Thanks anyway,

Give it a try anyway.

I have a Plustek, Inc. OpticPro UT12/16/24 Scanner and it works great. I also use kooka with no prblems. I bought this one when I couldn get a HP scanner to work in Linux. I canīt remember the HP model, however, I do remember doing some research and discovered it was not supported. I think I paid $80.00 for the Plustek 3 or 4 years ago. Hope this helps.

Bob

Cheers, Angels

WE never know how high we are
Till we are called to rise;
And then, if we are true to plan,
Our statures touch the skies.(E.Dickinson)

Old 04-28-2008, 07:46 AM
"angels mail"

Have someone of you tried multifunction HP Photosmart C4280?