Old 04-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Default Firewall configuration under Ubuntu 8.04

I have installed 8.04 under VMware. Is there any simple GUI way to
configure the firewall?

In 7.10 I am using firestarter. I think in 8.04 the firewall has
changed. Is firestarter still suitable?

Old 04-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 21:04 +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> I have installed 8.04 under VMware. Is there any simple GUI way to
> configure the firewall?
>
> In 7.10 I am using firestarter. I think in 8.04 the firewall has
> changed. Is firestarter still suitable?

Is there a particular reason for why you want to run a firewall? I'm
asking because in the default install, no remotely exploitable services
run besides DHCP, and thus a firewall doesn't really buy you anything.

I don't know whether running a firewall inside the vm makes any sense at
all, maybe someone else can comment on that.

The new Ubuntu default firewall is ufw:
<http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/804overview#head-a1ab2f26d9a7785e3570aec6974de7ad07e55002>

It can only be configured from the command line. However, Linux
firewalls in general are just frontends to the kernel's iptables, and so
I can't see a reason why you shouldn't be able to run firestarter
instead of ufw, if you really need a firewall because you opened certain
ports.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:27 PM

Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> writes:

> On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 21:04 +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>> I have installed 8.04 under VMware. Is there any simple GUI way to
>> configure the firewall?
>>
>> In 7.10 I am using firestarter. I think in 8.04 the firewall has
>> changed. Is firestarter still suitable?
>
> Is there a particular reason for why you want to run a firewall? I'm
> asking because in the default install, no remotely exploitable services
> run besides DHCP, and thus a firewall doesn't really buy you anything.
>
> I don't know whether running a firewall inside the vm makes any sense at
> all, maybe someone else can comment on that.

Here is one place it would:

I setup a gentoo install inside a vmware on windows to use as the
recipient of dmz traffic from an upstream (hadware) router.

This was simply to play around with the traffic being aimed from the
internet at my IP address. I wanted to study what was being dropped.

A firewall would be essential there.
1. to log stuff for study
2. to keep from
getting rooted by some smart bad guy.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 21:04 +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>> I have installed 8.04 under VMware. Is there any simple GUI way to
>> configure the firewall?
>>
>> In 7.10 I am using firestarter. I think in 8.04 the firewall has
>> changed. Is firestarter still suitable?
>
> Is there a particular reason for why you want to run a firewall?

I do not want the firewall to protect the specific VM installation, I am
experimenting with 8.04 under a VM. The command line version you
mentioned is somehow better than firestarter?

Old 04-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Anna EdwARds

If you need a firewall, i would think it should be common sense to put it in the base machine.

_____________________________

Sent from my phone using flurry - Get free mobile email and news at: http://www.flurry.com

Old 04-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 21:30 +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> I do not want the firewall to protect the specific VM installation, I am
> experimenting with 8.04 under a VM.

I see

> The command line version you
> mentioned is somehow better than firestarter?

I don't know. Firestarter is a pretty simple to use firewall for basic
needs. I have no experience whatsoever with ufw. See its wiki page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFirewall

If you want to learn about powerful firewalls, look into something like
shorewall

Old 05-05-2008, 07:59 PM
"Miano, Steven M."

> If you want to learn about powerful firewalls, look into something like
> shorewall

Or skip all the front ends and go pick up a book on IPTables.

Webmin, Shorewall, Firestarter, and UFW all modify IPTables which is run at the kernel level.

Knowing IPTables will help you independently of any *nix distribution that you decide to use as well. ; )

Best of luck to you on your endeavors!

~Steven

Old 05-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Avi Greenbury

On Mon, 5 May 2008 15:59:16 -0400
"Miano, Steven M." <Steven.Miano@mybrighthouse.com> wrote:

> > If you want to learn about powerful firewalls, look into something like
> > shorewall
>
> Or skip all the front ends and go pick up a book on IPTables.

This is something I've been meaning to look at for a while.

Any recommendations?

--
Avi Greenbury

Old 05-06-2008, 09:25 AM
John K Masters

On 10:01 Tue 06 May , Avi Greenbury wrote:
> On Mon, 5 May 2008 15:59:16 -0400
> "Miano, Steven M." <Steven.Miano@mybrighthouse.com> wrote:
>
> > > If you want to learn about powerful firewalls, look into something like
> > > shorewall
> >
> > Or skip all the front ends and go pick up a book on IPTables.
>
> This is something I've been meaning to look at for a while.
>
> Any recommendations?

O'Reilly's "Linux Server Security" by Michael D. Bauer has a great
section on firewalls and two complete examples of scripts for different
setups. Plus a whole lot more useful info

Regards, John
--
I wish I was young enough to know everything.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Carlos Alberto Alves

Avi Greenbury wrote:
> On Mon, 5 May 2008 15:59:16 -0400
> "Miano, Steven M." <Steven.Miano@mybrighthouse.com> wrote:
>
>>> If you want to learn about powerful firewalls, look into something like
>>> shorewall
>> Or skip all the front ends and go pick up a book on IPTables.
>
> This is something I've been meaning to look at for a while.
>
> Any recommendations?

Guarddog has been working fine for me.

* Carlos Alberto Alves *
* Child Neurologist *
* Systems Analyst/ASUS Certified Professional*
* Rio de Janeiro, Brazil *
* Skype: carlos-aa *
* mailto:drcaa@click21.com.br *
* mailto:drcaa@predialnet.com.br *