Old 04-26-2008, 05:45 PM
Robert Fitzpatrick

Default Sharing Internet access via laptop wireless access point

I was wondering if what I'd like to do is even possible, but if so, what
type of hardware and/or configuration would I need for Ubuntu on my
laptop to make this work.

I have a camera with WiFi capabilities (Nikon S51c). It connects to my
home wireless connection fine with proper WPA2 setup, etc. and delivers
my photos up to the server on the Internet after connecting. BUT, when I
am in, let's say, a hotel where I must login using their guest page for
Internet access, this does not work. I can see the hotel access point
(AP), but fails to connect due to the incompatibilities with their
authentication methods.

So, is it possible to provide a wireless access point with my Ubuntu
8.04 LTS laptop with WPA security (because the camera only seems to
support user name and password login) that will allow my camera to use
the laptops Internet connection? I assume if this were possible, then I
would have to establish my AP after connecting to the Internet,
configuring it each time to route to or work with whatever connected
network?

Or, would there be a different or easier way to accomplish my goal?

Thanks in advance,
--
Robert

Old 04-26-2008, 06:57 PM
steve

Old 04-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Anna EdwARds

A simpler way would be to install reactos in a vm and give it a wireless usb that is windows compatible but linux in-compatible (kinda hard to do because nearly every usb driver compatible with windows is also compatible.) Or, if your camera has an sd/xd card, get a usb adapter to put it in. If your camera can, take a usb cord and connect-it

Sent from my phone using flurry - Get free mobile email and news at: http://www.flurry.com

[...]

Back to work after baby– how do you know when you’re ready?