Old 04-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Pat Brown

Default Hardy install over existing Ubuntu install

I'd love to use the Upgrade Manager but when I run it, it finds over 300
updates and says it can't do a full installation. When I try to run a
partial, it comes back with another error saying it can't authenticate
the packages and that I should try again later. I've tried this a half a
dozen times over the last few days. No luck. I'm having problems with my
system that I'm sure need these updates to fix them, but I can't do the
updates. So I thought installing the lates Ubuntu LTS I might get past
this point and be able to get those updates, or their already in the LTS
version.

--
Pat Brown
http://www.pabrown.ca/

L.A. Heat, the first Chris and David mystery

Old 04-26-2008, 04:46 PM
"Jayson Rowe"

Jayson Rowe wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Pat Brown <pat.mysterywriter@gmail.com

> <mailtoat.mysterywriter@gmail.com>> wrote:

> * * I've got the newest release of Ubuntu 8.04 - the LTS version I believe.

> * * When I run the install, will it overwrite everything or will it

> * * recognize the Linux partition and simply replace the core files and

> * * leave my home directory and documents folder alone? I'm backing things

> * * up but don't know of a way to save all my emails outside of physically

> * * saving all. But I'd like to install this to fix some issues I'm having

> * * not being able to run updates.

> * * --

> * * Pat Brown

> * * http://www.pabrown.ca/

> * * L.A. Heat, the first Chris and David mystery

> * * --

> * * ubuntu-users mailing list

> * * ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com <mailto:ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>

> * * Modify settings or unsubscribe at:

> If you have /home on a seperate partition you will be ok - if you have

> everything in a single partition, settings will be overwritten.

> You may also want to consider upgrading via Upgrade Manager online if

> you can.

> --

> -jayson

You might try upgrading using the Alternate Install CD (snipped from the Ubuntu Website):

Upgrading using the alternate CD/DVD

Use this method if the system being upgraded is not connected to the Internet.

Download and burn the alternate installation CD.

Insert it into your CD-ROM drive.

A dialog will be displayed offering you the opportunity to upgrade using that CD.

Follow the on-screen instructions.

If the upgrade dialog is not displayed for any reason, you may also run the following command using Alt+F2:

gksu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"

Or in Kubuntu run the following command using Alt+F2:

kdesu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"

--
-jayson

Old 04-26-2008, 05:08 PM
Pat Brown

Jayson Rowe wrote:

> [...]
> > -jayson

> You might try upgrading using the Alternate Install CD (snipped from the
> Ubuntu Website):
>

> Upgrading using the alternate CD/DVD
>
> Use this method if the system being upgraded is not connected to the
> Internet.
>
> 1.
>
> Download and burn the alternate installation CD.
>
> 2.
>
> Insert it into your CD-ROM drive.
>
> 3.
>
> A dialog will be displayed offering you the opportunity to upgrade
> using that CD.
>
> 4.
>
> Follow the on-screen instructions.
>
> If the upgrade dialog is not displayed for any reason, you may also run
> the following command using Alt+F2:
>
> gksu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"
>
> Or in Kubuntu run the following command using Alt+F2:

I found the reference on the web site for using the alternate install
CD, but no mention or link as to where to get it. Am I missing something
really obvious?

Old 04-26-2008, 05:20 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 13:08 -0400, Pat Brown wrote:
> I found the reference on the web site for using the alternate install
> CD, but no mention or link as to where to get it. Am I missing
> something really obvious?

Go to http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
A bit down there is a checkbox, "Check here if you need the alternate
desktop CD. This CD does not include the Live CD, instead it uses a
text-based installer."

Old 04-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Pat Brown

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 13:08 -0400, Pat Brown wrote:
>> I found the reference on the web site for using the alternate install
>> CD, but no mention or link as to where to get it. Am I missing
>> something really obvious?
>
> Go to http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
> A bit down there is a checkbox, "Check here if you need the alternate
> desktop CD. This CD does not include the Live CD, instead it uses a
> text-based installer."

Thanks, Mario. I knew there was something I was missing.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Michael

Jayson Rowe wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Pat Brown
<pat.mysterywriter@gmail.com <mailtoat.mysterywriter@gmail.com>
> <mailtoat.mysterywriter@gmail.com
<mailtoat.mysterywriter@gmail.com>>> wrote:

> I've got the newest release of Ubuntu 8.04 - the LTS version I
believe.
> When I run the install, will it overwrite everything or will it
> recognize the Linux partition and simply replace the core
files and
> leave my home directory and documents folder alone? I'm
backing things
> up but don't know of a way to save all my emails outside of
physically
> saving all. But I'd like to install this to fix some issues
I'm having
> not being able to run updates.
>
> --
> Pat Brown
> http://www.pabrown.ca/
>
> L.A. Heat, the first Chris and David mystery

> If you have /home on a seperate partition you will be ok - if you have
> everything in a single partition, settings will be overwritten.
>
> You may also want to consider upgrading via Upgrade Manager online if
> you can.
>
> --
> -jayson

You might try upgrading using the Alternate Install CD (snipped from the
Ubuntu Website):

Upgrading using the alternate CD/DVD

Use this method if the system being upgraded is not connected to the
Internet.

1.

Download and burn the alternate installation CD.

2.

Insert it into your CD-ROM drive.

3.

A dialog will be displayed offering you the opportunity to upgrade
using that CD.

4.

Follow the on-screen instructions.

If the upgrade dialog is not displayed for any reason, you may also run
the following command using Alt+F2:

gksu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"

Or in Kubuntu run the following command using Alt+F2:

kdesu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"

--
-jayson

I found the reference on the web site for using the alternate install
CD, but no mention or link as to where to get it. Am I missing something
really obvious?

I may have missed something in this thread but I will give you my
experiences.* I installed 8.04 over 7.10 from the live CD with no
problems.* When the partitioner asked for the root partition I told it
to use the existing one without formating it.* It left my documents and
other home folders alone.* I did have to change a lot of settings and
reinstall some programs but I didn't lose any data.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 12:21 -0700, Michael wrote:
> <snip> When the partitioner asked for the root partition I told it to
> use the existing one without formating it.

This is very wrong. You now have a mess of an installation, as old files
that were not overwritten (because they had the same name) are now
scattered everywhere. It's likely that it works basically ok, but weird
issues can creep up.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Michael

Mario Vukelic wrote:

<snip> When the partitioner asked for the root partition I told it to
use the existing one without formating it.

This is very wrong. You now have a mess of an installation, as old files
that were not overwritten (because they had the same name) are now
scattered everywhere. It's likely that it works basically ok, but weird
issues can creep up.

It did warn me that system files would be overwritten, I don't remember
the exact wording but I had the impression that only data files would
remain untouched.* So far no problems of any kind.* When I read this
list I think that I must lead a charmed life, none of the issues that
come up here seem to bother me.* 8.04 is great for me as I think it is
for the vast majority of users.* YMMV

Old 04-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Michael

Mario Vukelic wrote:

<snip> When the partitioner asked for the root partition I told it to
use the existing one without formating it.

This is very wrong. You now have a mess of an installation, as old files
that were not overwritten (because they had the same name) are now
scattered everywhere. It's likely that it works basically ok, but weird
issues can creep up.

as a follow up to my last post I think this is the first version of
Ubuntu that would let you not format the root partition, in the past I
was required to format before installing from the live CD.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:35 PM
"Pat Brown"

[...]

I have run the update and am able to access all my files. All well and good, but when I install Thunderbird, it doesn't show up in my Applications - Internet like it did before. So right now I have to access my email via the web portal, which I don't like. How can I get Thunderbird to install and SHOW UP? The Package manager says it's installed. How do I access it?