Old 04-26-2008, 03:50 PM

Default very basic about initial install

Installing Ubuntu 8.1.4 in a vmware as guest on Vista home Premium

After a successfull install I'm not finding a way to get to a root
terminal and use the text files to do setup chores.

During install I was asked for a user name and passwd. I used a
familiar user I always use `reader' but once the install is finished
and I reboot.... I'm not unable to get to a root terminal.

I thought I might just boot the install disk and chroot to the new
install but using fdisk on the install disk, it cannot find the
virtual /dev/hda from the install... Seem like a bad catch 22
situation.

How might I get to a root login?

When I try to sudo I'm told my machine name won't resolve... when I
try to create a network I told I don't have the privs. Do actully
have to redo the install and chose `root' when it asked for a user
name?

Old 04-26-2008, 03:59 PM
"Jayson Rowe"

[...]

Ubuntu uses 'sudo' by default rather than having a root login. If you must have a purely root terminal session, simply do"

sudo su -

You will not be at a # prompt and logged in as root.

--
-jayson

Old 04-26-2008, 04:06 PM

"Jayson Rowe" <jayson.rowe@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 11:50 AM, <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>> Installing Ubuntu 8.1.4 in a vmware as guest on Vista home Premium
>>
>> After a successfull install I'm not finding a way to get to a root
>> terminal and use the text files to do setup chores.
>>
>> During install I was asked for a user name and passwd. I used a
>> familiar user I always use `reader' but once the install is finished
>> and I reboot.... I'm not unable to get to a root terminal.
>>
>> I thought I might just boot the install disk and chroot to the new
>> install but using fdisk on the install disk, it cannot find the
>> virtual /dev/hda from the install... Seem like a bad catch 22
>> situation.
>>

>> --
>>

> Ubuntu uses 'sudo' by default rather than having a root login. If you must
> have a purely root terminal session, simply do"
>
> sudo su -
>
> You will not be at a # prompt and logged in as root.

As I posted in OP:

Harry wrote:
>> How might I get to a root login?
>>
>> When I try to sudo I'm told my machine name won't resolve... when I
>> try to create a network I told I don't have the privs. Do actully
>> have to redo the install and chose `root' when it asked for a user
>> name?

So to rephrase this: Sudo fails with the message that my machine name
cannot be resolved. Consequently all attempts to use sudo do not
result in any commands being run as root.

Is there really no way to get a root terminal?

Also is there no way to have a text terminal console, after the
install? That is get clear away from the gui mess. I need the
regular unix style command line.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:15 PM
"Jayson Rowe"

Harry wrote:

>> How might I get to a root login?

>> When I try to sudo I'm told my machine name won't resolve... when I

>> try to create a network I told I don't have the privs. *Do actully

>> have to redo the install and chose `root' when it asked for a user

>> name?

So to rephrase this: *Sudo fails with the message that my machine name

cannot be resolved. *Consequently all attempts to use sudo do not

result in any commands being run as root.

Is there really no way to get a root terminal?

Also is there no way to have a text terminal console, after the

install? *That is get clear away from the gui mess. *I need the

regular unix style command line.

Never seen the "sudo problem" you seem to be having.

The only way to "log in as root" would still require the use of sudo to do a "sudo passwd root" and set a root password. Do you have a hostname set?

If you do not want a GUI at all, you would be better off installing Ubuntu Server as it's a CLi only install.
--
-jayson

Old 04-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Ioannis Vranos

reader@newsguy.com wrote:
> Installing Ubuntu 8.1.4 in a vmware as guest on Vista home Premium

8.04.

> After a successfull install I'm not finding a way to get to a root
> terminal and use the text files to do setup chores.

In a terminal type

sudo -i

Old 04-26-2008, 04:16 PM
"Sandy Harris"

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 12:06 AM, <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

> > Ubuntu uses 'sudo' by default rather than having a root login. If you must
> > have a purely root terminal session, simply do"
> >
> > sudo su -
> >
> > You will not be at a # prompt and logged in as root.

sudo sh should also work

> >> When I try to sudo I'm told my machine name won't resolve... when I
> >> try to create a network I told I don't have the privs. Do actully
> >> have to redo the install and chose `root' when it asked for a user
> >> name?
>
> So to rephrase this: Sudo fails with the message that my machine name
> cannot be resolved. Consequently all attempts to use sudo do not
> result in any commands being run as root.
>
> Is there really no way to get a root terminal?

Boot up from the live CD. Open a treminal, Using menu choices
Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

From there, you should be able to become root, mount your
hard drive, and do as you will. Once you've fixed a few things
on the hard drive (/etc/hosts perhaps?), reboot from it.

--
Sandy Harris,
Nanjing, China

Old 04-26-2008, 04:19 PM