Old 04-26-2008, 11:38 AM
"Craig Hagerman"

Default Hardy problems

I just upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04, Hardy Heron and have a couple small issues.

MOUSE
For some reason after upgrading it seems that that mouse clicks are
sometimes not detected. I now usually have to click a few times before
a window changes focus, a selection is made or whatever. (No the mouse
is not dirty or have any issues. It is only 6 months old as well). Any
ideas why this has happened or how to 'fix' the issue?

MOUNTED DISCS
I have three data hard drives that show up as icons on the desktop. Up
until now they have shown up by mount point.They are all mounted on
/media with names like "Music", "Video", "Library". Now, there seems
to have been some changes and instead the discs are displayed by their
label (which is not set), meaning that they are listed with names like
"500.1 GB Media", which is neither what I want nor helpful. If you set
a new label for a disk it wipes it. Is there any way to go back to the
old way of displaying mounted discs?

Craig Hagerman

Old 04-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 20:38 +0900, Craig Hagerman wrote:
> I just upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04, Hardy Heron and have a couple small issues.
>
> MOUSE
> For some reason after upgrading it seems that that mouse clicks are
> sometimes not detected. I now usually have to click a few times before
> a window changes focus, a selection is made or whatever. (No the mouse
> is not dirty or have any issues. It is only 6 months old as well). Any
> ideas why this has happened or how to 'fix' the issue?

Try going into System --> Preferences --> Mouse; move the Timeout slider
to the right to raise the timeout to 600 or 700 milliseconds. I had the
same problem and this seems to fix it.

> MOUNTED DISCS
> I have three data hard drives that show up as icons on the desktop. Up
> until now they have shown up by mount point.They are all mounted on
> /media with names like "Music", "Video", "Library". Now, there seems
> to have been some changes and instead the discs are displayed by their
> label (which is not set), meaning that they are listed with names like
> "500.1 GB Media", which is neither what I want nor helpful. If you set
> a new label for a disk it wipes it. Is there any way to go back to the
> old way of displaying mounted discs?

anyone?

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 04-26-2008, 03:34 PM
David Vincent

Old 04-27-2008, 12:31 PM
"Craig Hagerman"

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 12:34 AM, David Vincent
<dvincent@sleepdeprived.ca> wrote:

> what filesystem are they? i seem to recall being able to change the
> label on ext2/3 without wiping my data but on fat16/32 everything is
> destroyed.

I use ext3. I didn't know you could change the label. On the gnome
partition editor if you try to change the label it says all data will
be qiped out. Can anyone confirm this?

Craig

Old 04-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 09:31:29PM +0900, Craig Hagerman wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 12:34 AM, David Vincent
> <dvincent@sleepdeprived.ca> wrote:
>
> > what filesystem are they? i seem to recall being able to change the
> > label on ext2/3 without wiping my data but on fat16/32 everything is
> > destroyed.
> >

> I use ext3. I didn't know you could change the label. On the gnome
> partition editor if you try to change the label it says all data will
> be qiped out. Can anyone confirm this?

If it says so, I'd believe it.

On the other hand, there's a command-line program called e2label that
can change the label of ext2/ext3 filesystems without wiping any data.

Regards,
Marius Gedminas
--
I need a word processor on my laptop like I need a Selectric typewriter in my
laptop bag.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Karl Larsen

When I loaded Hardy from a LiveCD it went very fast and well. Upon
reboot I got all the Updates and every one worked. As time passes I
learn about things that I might like to see on Ubuntu, and often they
are already on my system.

Since Hardy has pulse audio I was sure my Ham Radio digital software
would fail. It didn't fail at all and works fine.

I put Hardy on my laptop sure that the WiFi would not work. It
didn't at first but now it works fine every time.

I was so happy with Gutsy I didn't plan to load Hardy. But then
learned it was not going to be supported. So I loaded Hardy and it is
better than Gutsy in several areas.

The current problem is I can't use the fancy compiz because of
computer failings and will try to upgrade the computer so it works.
There will be others like this but it sure seems like there is nothing a
lot better than Ubuntu Hardy for a Desktop computer.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-13-2008, 04:19 PM
"David Fox"

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 8:17 AM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
> The current problem is I can't use the fancy compiz because of
> computer failings and will try to upgrade the computer so it works.

Well, you don't have to run it .

You have nvidia, right? What card and how much video ram? Those things
are pretty important to be able to run compiz properly. I run it
adequately with the onboard 6100 nvidia on my amd64 motherboard and
nvidia's 169.12 packaged from repositories.