Old 04-26-2008, 11:34 AM
R Kimber

Default 8.04 PAM errors

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 13:01:18 +0200
Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 10:32 +0100, R Kimber wrote:
> >
> > CRON[1034]: PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so
>
> I have no clue, but Google found this bug report, maybe it can get you
> started:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/222003

Thanks. I'm not sure this is quite the same, but maybe the errors have
a common source. I'll file my own bug and see what happens.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

Old 04-27-2008, 09:12 PM
R Kimber

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 10:32:35 +0100
R Kimber wrote:

> I frequently get errors of the form:
>
> CRON[1034]: PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so
> CRON[1079]: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_smbpass.so)
> CRON[1079]: PAM [error: /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so: cannot open
> shared object file: No such file or directory]
>
> It looks as if there might be errors for most but not all cron jobs,
> but I'm not sure yet.

OK. Installing libpam-smbpass seems to have got rid of the errors.

I've no Idea why this has become a necessary package. I'm not aware of
needing to use it, or anything smb-related. It looks as though some smb
package is installed by default, and someone forgot to include
libpam-smbpass.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

Old 04-28-2008, 05:43 PM
NoOp

On 04/27/2008 02:12 PM, R Kimber wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 10:32:35 +0100
> R Kimber wrote:
>

>> I frequently get errors of the form:
>>
>> CRON[1034]: PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so
>> CRON[1079]: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_smbpass.so)
>> CRON[1079]: PAM [error: /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so: cannot open
>> shared object file: No such file or directory]
>>
>> It looks as if there might be errors for most but not all cron jobs,
>> but I'm not sure yet.
>
> OK. Installing libpam-smbpass seems to have got rid of the errors.
>
> I've no Idea why this has become a necessary package. I'm not aware of
> needing to use it, or anything smb-related. It looks as though some smb
> package is installed by default, and someone forgot to include
> libpam-smbpass.
>
> - Richard

FWIW: I just came across this on the machine that I just upgraded from
Gutsy to Hardy. I discovered it when I found that I could not VNC into
the machine. Each time I would get the password prompt, but then get an
authentication failure. Ssh and NX worked, so I was able to view the
logs etc., and installing libpam-smbpass worked.

This is a pretty serious problem for folks that have remote machines. I
have not experienced the problem on fresh Hardy installs.

I'll add to the bug that Mario referred to, but found a few more. The
first one gives very bad advise:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pam/+bug/218110
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pam/+bug/218110/comments/6

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pam/+bug/216990
[similar comments about it being cosmetic etc., etc. but it obviously is
*NOT* cosmetic].

Old 04-28-2008, 10:38 PM
R Kimber

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:43:22 -0700
NoOp wrote:

> FWIW: I just came across this on the machine that I just upgraded from
> Gutsy to Hardy. I discovered it when I found that I could not VNC into
> the machine. Each time I would get the password prompt, but then get
> an authentication failure. Ssh and NX worked, so I was able to view
> the logs etc., and installing libpam-smbpass worked.

I got rid of the erros quoted by installing libpam-smbpass, even though
I have no need of smb. I've since had quite a lot of:-

sudo: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
sudo: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root

and some for user 'me'

They seem to occur during the night, and so relate to scheduled jobs of
one sort or another, but seem to indicate that whatever it is is
successful.

-Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

Old 04-28-2008, 11:35 PM
NoOp

On 04/28/2008 03:38 PM, R Kimber wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:43:22 -0700
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> FWIW: I just came across this on the machine that I just upgraded from
>> Gutsy to Hardy. I discovered it when I found that I could not VNC into
>> the machine. Each time I would get the password prompt, but then get
>> an authentication failure. Ssh and NX worked, so I was able to view
>> the logs etc., and installing libpam-smbpass worked.
>
> I got rid of the erros quoted by installing libpam-smbpass, even though
> I have no need of smb. I've since had quite a lot of:-
>
> sudo: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
> sudo: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
>
> and some for user 'me'
>
> They seem to occur during the night, and so relate to scheduled jobs of
> one sort or another, but seem to indicate that whatever it is is
> successful.
>
> -Richard.

Yep, it's an odd one.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pam/+bug/216990
<quote>
You can work around this, by commenting out the pam_smbpass.so related
lines in /etc/pam.d/common-auth and /etc/pam.d/common-password.
</quote>

I've suggested:

<quote>
Thanks, I tested that, and that does work.

However, this will be an issue for those that upgrade from Gutsy to
Hardy (as I found out) and suddenly find that they can no longer log
into their machine via VNC. Perhaps a patch issuing new
/etc/pam.d/common-auth and /etc/pam.d/common-password with the
pam_smbpass.so related lines commented out would be a better solution?
</quote>

I've no idea why pam_smbpass.so/samba would be related to VNC or cron jobs:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/libpam-smbpass

Maybe the libpam0g module didn't get updated properly & libpam-smbpass
fixes it during its installation. See;
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pam/+bugs
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pam/+bug/216209

I can't recall, but I seem to remember something similar when I was
upgrading. Then again it was very late at night, and about a half a
bottle of wine later, so I could be wrong :-)