Old 04-26-2008, 10:56 AM
Marius Gedminas

Default Low WiFi rates (Hardy 64Bit, Intel Pro Wireless 3945)

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 11:11:51AM +0200, Phil Bieber wrote:
> Since I switched to Hardy, I had quite low WiFi rates, but it didn't
> bother me as I was able to surf and load with ~70 - 100 Kbit/s. But
> now it dropped down to 700KBit/s, so it cant be the surrounding setup.
> In the Ubuntu Forums I saw someone fixing this by issuing "iwconfig
> wlan0 rate 54M", but that didn't help me.

Not for an Intel 3945ABG, no.

Try 'iwpriv eth1 set_mode 4' instead, it might help if the slowdown is
caused by this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ipw3945/+bug/103210

On the other hand if you're not using the ipw3945 driver (Hardy prefers
iwl3945 instead), this may not help and you may need to look for a
different cure.

> According to WICD (WiFi
> Manager alternative to the network manager), the signal strength is
> good, and that is confirmed by Windows. Also the problem stays when
> manually connecting via System->Administration->Network. With gutsy
> everything was OK and I could surf fast as well!

Strangely enough, I used to get the slowdown in Gutsy, but not, so far,
in Hardy. Hey, hardy uses a different wifi driver (iwl3945 instead of
ipw3945), maybe that's why.

Anyway, as far as I understand, the problem is caused when the signal
quality drops temporarily -- the ipw3945 driver reduces speed, and then
forgets to increase it again when the signal quality rises.

> The card is an Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG inside a DELL Inspiron 640m.

I've the same card in my Lenovo T61, although I run the 32-bit version
of Ubuntu. (Back when I installed it I hadn't realized Intel Core 2 Duo
CPU supports the instruction set known as "AMD64".)

Marius Gedminas
--
Key emulation:
[ ] Intuitive[*] Emacs (Seen in an MCEdit dialog)

Old 04-26-2008, 11:21 AM
"Phil Bieber"

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 12:56 PM, Marius Gedminas <marius@pov.lt> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 11:11:51AM +0200, Phil Bieber wrote:
<--snip-->
> Try 'iwpriv eth1 set_mode 4' instead, it might help if the slowdown is
> caused by this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ipw3945/+bug/103210

I tried it, but it said:
root@hekate:~# iwpriv wlan0 set_mode 4
Invalid command : set_mode
root@hekate:~#

As far as I know I'm using the iwl, as I didn't change anything and
lsmod said the following:
root@hekate:~# lsmod | grep iwl
iwl3945 104820 0
iwlwifi_mac80211 251876 1 iwl3945
cfg80211 17680 1 iwlwifi_mac80211
led_class 7176 1 iwl3945
root@hekate:~# lsmod | grep ipw
root@hekate:~#

<-- snip -->
> Anyway, as far as I understand, the problem is caused when the signal
> quality drops temporarily -- the ipw3945 driver reduces speed, and then
> forgets to increase it again when the signal quality rises.
<--snip>

When monitoring the signal strength using WICD, I allways see a
quality of >= 85% and in Windows it allways say "Excelent" (Not sure,
what it actually says in English, but in German it is
"Hervorrangend".) and a link speed of at least 38MBit/s.

Anyhow, thanks alot for helping!
--
Avoid rape - say yes!

Warnings from the manual for Layer Express v2 (an AutoCAD extension):
Written on Page 12 (Blank page separating Ch. 1 & 2):
To reduce the risk of shock,
Do not remove the cover of this book.
No serviceable components inside.

GPG KEY ID (Philipp Bieber): 0x0185E301
FINGERPRINT: CA81 28C2 E63F DAF8 5ED4 DACB 7C26 EE5B 0185 E301
Phil Bieber - philbieber@gmail.com

GPG KEY ID (Philipp Bieber Work): 0x3E43576A
FINGERPRINT: F043 92A1 2A2C 5256 52A9 DECB A39F B04C 3E43 576A
Philipp Bieber - philipp.bieber@gundlach.de

Old 05-03-2008, 03:35 PM
"Phil Bieber"

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Phil Bieber <philbieber@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 12:56 PM, Marius Gedminas <marius@pov.lt> wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 11:11:51AM +0200, Phil Bieber wrote:
> <--snip-->
<--snip-->

Hi!
I've just booted the Ubuntu 8.04 64Bit Live CD to check if those
sucking wifi rates are a problem of my setup or if it's the driver's
fault. I can say, it's the driver's fault. I've just downloaded
Firefox 2 (9MB) and I never got more than 30KB/sec. When browsing
during that time, it dropped to <15KB/s and GMail didn't load up
nearly as fast as in Windows.
I've given up using Ubuntu for anything except listening music, just
because it's unbearable. I'm even considering switching... perhaps to
Fedora.

Cheers anyhow.
Phil

Old 05-03-2008, 07:25 PM