Old 04-26-2008, 09:30 AM
Mario Vukelic

Default About gnome panel menu item height

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 14:44 +0530, Santanu Chatterjee wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> I want to reduce the height of the gnome-panel's menu items.
> There is just too much space (for my taste) both above and
> below the text in the menu items.
>
> Can you tell me where exactly should I look for doing that?

Not sure if I understand you correctly, but maybe it helps to adjust the
gnome-panel's height itself. To do so, find an area of the panel that
has no items on it and rightclick this area.

There will be a menu with these entries

* Add to Panel
* Properties
* Delete this Panel
* New Panel
* Help
* About Panels

Choose the entry, "Properties". Enter any size you want and close.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:39 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 11:30 +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> Enter any size you want and close.

Hmmm, or not. It turns out that the minimum size seems to be determined
by the items on the panel. In my case, I cannot set it smaller than 19,
and even 19 makes no difference to the default 24.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:40 AM
"Santanu Chatterjee"

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 3:00 PM, Mario Vukelic
<mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:
> There will be a menu with these entries
>
> * Add to Panel
> * Properties
> * Delete this Panel
> * New Panel
> * Help
> * About Panels
>
> Choose the entry, "Properties". Enter any size you want and close.

Uh.. no. I did not mean this actually. Let me explain. When I click on
the 'Menu' (the one with the 'Applications', 'Places', and 'System' on them)
on the gnome-panel, I get a menu with (for the
Applications menu) things like Accessories, Games, etc. I am
calling these the 'items' of the Applications menu. The height of
these items are too much for my taste... for instance, there is quite
a bit of space above and below the text of say, 'Games' item. I just
want to remove that space so that I get a sleeker menu.

Regards,
Santanu Chatterjee

Old 04-26-2008, 09:49 AM
"Santanu Chatterjee"

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Mario Vukelic
<mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 11:30 +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> > Enter any size you want and close.
>
> Hmmm, or not. It turns out that the minimum size seems to be determined
> by the items on the panel. In my case, I cannot set it smaller than 19,
> and even 19 makes no difference to the default 24.

In this particular case (although this was not what I was asking about), the
height somewhat seems to depend on the icons. I have seen
that once you deselect the
System->Preferences->Appearence->Interface->"Show icons in menus"
item, the gnome-panel obeys the 'size' setting of the panel properties.

Regards,
Santanu

Old 04-26-2008, 09:53 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 15:10 +0530, Santanu Chatterjee wrote:
> When I click on
> the 'Menu' (the one with the 'Applications', 'Places', and 'System' on
> them)
> on the gnome-panel, I get a menu with (for the
> Applications menu) things like Accessories, Games, etc. I am
> calling these the 'items' of the Applications menu. The height of
> these items are too much for my taste... for instance, there is quite
> a bit of space above and below the text of say, 'Games' item. I just
> want to remove that space so that I get a sleeker menu.

I see. I'm not sure, but I'd not be surprised if you would have to
change that in the source code and recompile. Not even disabling icons
in menus seems to have an effect on the spacing (I just tried, using
System > Preferences > Appearance > Interface. That's in 8.04, the
locations of the setting was different in earlier Ubuntus)

Old 04-26-2008, 10:12 AM
"Santanu Chatterjee"

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 3:23 PM, Mario Vukelic
<mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:

> I see. I'm not sure, but I'd not be surprised if you would have to
> change that in the source code and recompile.

Eeek! That would be troublesome. I was looking for an easier way.

I read somewhere (probably on a SuSE centric page) quite sometime
ago (a year maybe) where it was mentioned that what I wanted could be
done via some line in ~/.gtkrc file. But I can't find that document now...
and I don't remember what I read there :-(

Regards,
Santanu

Old 04-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 15:42 +0530, Santanu Chatterjee wrote:
> I read somewhere (probably on a SuSE centric page) quite sometime
> ago (a year maybe) where it was mentioned that what I wanted could be
> done via some line in ~/.gtkrc file.

Of course, that seems reasonable: when playing with themes, it seems
that different themes set this spacing differently, so it seems
reasonable that once can change it in gtkrc.

Maybe you can find something here:
http://www.gtk.org/~otaylor/gtk/2.0/theme-engines.html ?

Or here http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/2.12/

Old 04-26-2008, 11:35 AM
Shannon McMackin

Santanu Chatterjee wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 3:00 PM, Mario Vukelic
> <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:
>> There will be a menu with these entries
>>
>> * Add to Panel
>> * Properties
>> * Delete this Panel
>> * New Panel
>> * Help
>> * About Panels
>>
>> Choose the entry, "Properties". Enter any size you want and close.
>
> Uh.. no. I did not mean this actually. Let me explain. When I click on
> the 'Menu' (the one with the 'Applications', 'Places', and 'System' on them)
> on the gnome-panel, I get a menu with (for the
> Applications menu) things like Accessories, Games, etc. I am
> calling these the 'items' of the Applications menu. The height of
> these items are too much for my taste... for instance, there is quite
> a bit of space above and below the text of say, 'Games' item. I just
> want to remove that space so that I get a sleeker menu.
>
> Regards,
> Santanu Chatterjee

Different themes control the menu spacing you're seeing. Unfortunately
I've never found where that setting is controlled.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:45 AM
"Santanu Chatterjee"

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 4:05 PM, Mario Vukelic
<mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:
> Maybe you can find something here:
> http://www.gtk.org/~otaylor/gtk/2.0/theme-engines.html ?
>
> Or here http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/2.12/

Thanks. I will explore those. Hopefully I shall be able to figure somthing
out.

Regards,
Santanu

Old 04-26-2008, 12:40 PM
"Santanu Chatterjee"

Seems I found the part in gtkrc that actually controls this.
I directly modified the gtkrc file for the theme I am currently
using (Mist). It is this file:
/usr/share/themes/Mist/gtk-2.0/gtkrc

I modified the lines:
-------------------------------
style "menuitem"
{
ythickness = 2
xthickness = 2
}
-------------------------------
to this:
-------------------------------
style "menuitem"
{
ythickness = 0
xthickness = 0
}
-------------------------------
and found on reloading the theme that the y-padding of the panel
menu items did in fact became small. But that is the smallest I
can get (negative values are not understood).
(But now, as a side effect, the menus that appear on right-clicking
has their menu items too close... well, I guess I will have to settle
for a trade off situation here.)

I will have to search a little more to find out which file I
should add/modify (i.e. .gtkrc, .gtkrc-2.0 or any other)
to change the height of the menu items.

Regards,
Santanu