Old 04-26-2008, 08:43 AM
Vincent Trouilliez

Default Setting the screen resolution

> I recently installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my virtual machine (I am using
> VirtualBox as my virtual machine) and I can't change the screen
> resolution. When I try to change it, the only two options I get are
> 800x600 and 640x480. I want o increase the resolution. Is this a
> problem with Ubuntu or with my virtual machine? How do I get Ubuntu to
> use the host OS video card?

Hi there,

I had the same "problem" too.
The problem was that the guest machine was using incorrect refresh
rates, probably because it was using default/failsafe/conservative
settings, or virtualbox was emulating a substandard monitor, do'nt know.

Cure: simply edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf in the Ubuntu virtual machine, so
as to explicitely specify the correct refresh rates for your monitor.

HTH

--
Vince

Old 04-26-2008, 10:05 PM
klybear

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 03:09:28 -0500, Andrew S. wrote:

> I recently installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my virtual machine (I am using
> VirtualBox as my virtual machine) and I can't change the screen
> resolution. When I try to change it, the only two options I get are
> 800x600 and 640x480. I want o increase the resolution. Is this a problem
> with Ubuntu or with my virtual machine? How do I get Ubuntu to use the
> host OS video card?

I take it you've installed the guest additions?

Old 04-27-2008, 04:03 AM
"Andrew S."

Yes, I installed the guest additions.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:15 AM
"Andrew S."

Hi Vince,

Thank you for your email. I found the "xorg.conf" file but I am not
sure how to edit it, or what to edit (I am new to the world of Linux).
Can you tell me what changes I need to make and how to make them to
resolve my problem?

Here is what the "xorg.conf" file looks like:

File: /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Page 1 of 1
# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier
"Generic Keyboard"
Driver
"kbd"
Option
"XkbRules"
"xorg"
Option
"XkbModel"
"pc105"
Option
"XkbLayout"
"us"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier
"Configured Mouse"
Driver
"mouse"
Option
"CorePointer"
EndSection
Section "Device"
Identifier
"Configured Video Device"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
Identifier
"Configured Monitor"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier
"Default Screen"
Monitor
"Configured Monitor"
Device
"Configured Video Device"
EndSection
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier
"Default Layout"
Screen
"Default Screen"

Old 04-27-2008, 04:25 AM
"Andrew S."

I'm not sure if I have installed the guest additions successfully for
Ubuntu on the VM. In VirtualBox (the virtual machine I am using) I go
to Devices -> Install Guest Additions and double-click on
VBoxLinuxAdditions.run. The program looks like its running but then I
get an error message that says "This program must be run with
administrator privileges. Aborting." Do you know why that is? When I
install Ubuntu I did set up a username and password and that's what I
use to log in every time I launch Ubuntu. How do I give myself
administrator privileges?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Vincent Trouilliez

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 23:15:38 -0500
"Andrew S." <vir.admin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Vince,
>
> Thank you for your email. I found the "xorg.conf" file but I am not
> sure how to edit it, or what to edit (I am new to the world of Linux).
> Can you tell me what changes I need to make and how to make them to
> resolve my problem?

Hi Andrew,

First of all, that file being a system file, you have to have
administrative rights to be allowed to modifiy/write to it:

Press Alt+F2 to display the "run" dialog box, then enter:

gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

press enter, then you will asked for your password (the same password
that you used to log in).

Now you should have the file loaded into "Gedit", the text editor of
Gnome/Ubuntu.

THe file is very well structured: you have various "sections", each of
them describes a peripheral that make part of the user interface, for
example the keyboard, the mouse, the video card, the monitor.

What you need to do is specify a couple characteristics (the refresh
rates) of your monitor. SO in the file, locate this section:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

make add acouple lines in that section, so that it looks like that:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
HorizSync 31-69
VertRefresh 55-120
EndSection

Now, the numerical values I indicated here (31-69, and 55-120) are
those that correspond to MY monitor, don't use these values ! They
differ from monitor to monitor !
So you must use the values that correspond to YOUR particular monitor.
So, dig out the user/technical manual of your monitor, and search for
that information. They should be easy to find, as they are very
basic/important charateristics of any monitor.
If you give us the exact model of your monitor (and is it an LCD or
CRT to start with?), we could search for the user manual on the
internet, and find out the values for you.

--
Vince

Old 04-27-2008, 03:28 PM
"Andrew S."

Hi Vince,

Your instructions were perfect! I had no problem modifying the
"xorg.conf" file. Now the screen resolution and refresh rate are much
better although the resolution is not as high as I'd like it to be (it
only goes up to 1024x768, but I'd like it to be 1280x1024), but it is
still a HUGE improvement. Thanks again for your time and willingness
to help. I greatly appreciate it. I think I am going to like Linux!

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 3:48 AM, Vincent Trouilliez