Old 04-26-2008, 06:57 AM
Charly Avital

Default From 7.10 to 8.04 - Linux beginner.

Hi,

This is update to the message I posted on 4/24/08, immediately after
downloading (update-manager -d) all the packages, without problems.
The only problem at the time what that I was not getting any traffic
from the list. After switching from digest mode to current mode,
everything went back to normal.

System Monitor indicates:
Ubuntu 7
Ubuntu
Release 8.04 (hardy)
Kernel Linux 2.6.24-16-generic
Gnome 2.22.1
The new desktop now sports a The Heron.
I don't understand why the "Ubuntu 7".

During installation, I had warning (about openoffice.org
writer2latex.
The critical warning was:
"upgrade aborts now, system could be in unusable state, recovery will
run now (dpkg --configure -a).

I have now a working 8.04. I am almost sure it is lacking X-server,
because the virtual software under which Ubuntu is running uses a
version that is not compatible with 8.04, according to the virtual
software technical People (Parallels 3.0 build 5584), who are working on
a updated build that might be available end June, May 2008. I have no
problem with that, my experience with Parallels is that it's better to
give them ample time to update/test new builds.

I ran $ sudo dpkg --configure -a. The output indicated that a certain
extension was added to openoffice. I have tested openoffice, not in
depth, it seems to be working correctly, no crashes.

Since then I have run the same command line a few times, the output is
always a return to the prompt, therefore I reckon there's nothing more I
can do about this.

Synaptic Package Manager indicates that FF 3.0b5 is installed. But in
fact I am still running 2.0.0.12.

Heron, in spite of whatever component(s) it is lacking, is running well
and stable. Faster and more stable that Gutsy 7.10.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Charly
MacOS X 10.5.2 - Ubuntu 8.04 (under virtual ware) - GnuPG 1.4.9 - gpg2
2.0.9 - Thunderbird 2.0.0.12 (20080227) - Enigmail 0.95.6