Old 04-26-2008, 04:08 AM
"Arpotu"

Default Upgrading 7.x To 8.x Desktop with update-notifier and LiveCD

Hello,

I downloaded the ISO images for Ubuntu 8.x today, and burned the x86_64
desktop image to a bootable CD-ROM.

When I booted my 7.x desktop, some patches were needed, and I saw that the
"upgrade to 8.x" option was available in the "update-notifier" GUI. I
thought "hey neat trick", and chose that option.

I didn't really see a way to change where it gets the packages, though
IMHO it should stand out somewhere like a green thumb, so I went ahead
with the network install. It's now sitting at 3 days to finish the
install...

When I boot from CD-ROM, it just asks if I want to install over the
existing system. I don't see an upgrade option there.

I want to upgrade the 7.x install using update-notifier and the 8.x
CD-ROM. Is there any easy way to do that?

Thanks,
Arpotu.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:03 AM
Chris Jones

> I want to upgrade the 7.x install using update-notifier and the 8.x
> CD-ROM. Is there any easy way to do that?

I believe you need to use the 'alternate' CD instead. Currently using it
myself to do the same thing ... Check

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

for details.

Chris

Old 04-28-2008, 06:59 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 23:08 -0500, Arpotu wrote:
> I didn't really see a way to change where it gets the packages, though
> IMHO it should stand out somewhere like a green thumb, so I went ahead
> with the network install. It's now sitting at 3 days to finish the
> install...

The place to change the sources is in System > Administration > Software
Sources. You possibly can add the CD there as a source

> When I boot from CD-ROM, it just asks if I want to install over the
> existing system. I don't see an upgrade option there.
>
> I want to upgrade the 7.x install using update-notifier and the 8.x
> CD-ROM. Is there any easy way to do that?

Others have suggested (in other threads) that it should work with the
Desktop CD (that you have), by adding it as a source in the
aforementioned place.

However, I cannot confirm this because I never tried it. The upgrade
notes mention the option to update from CD only for the Alternate disk:
<http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading#head-7311a7de9fdf1ca310c6937460c0a9d33f54279d>