Old 04-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Wade Smart

Default Dell Raid Controller Help

04252008 1720 GMT-6

On the Ubuntu Release notes page there is:

DELL RAID firmware compatibility

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS fails to run on some DELL PowerEdge servers with RAID
controllers, such as the 3/Di controller in the DELL PowerEdge 1650, due to a
bug in the RAID firmware. To install or upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS on a system
with the affected RAID controller, you will first need to upgrade your RAID
firmware.

Im working with a guy with a PowerEdge built in 05/09/2003 in Ireland. He is
having trouble with his upgrade. Can the firmware be upgrade from within Ubuntu
or only from in Windows?

wade

Old 04-26-2008, 12:01 AM
"Liam Proven"

2008/4/25 Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com>:
> 04252008 1720 GMT-6
>
> On the Ubuntu Release notes page there is:
>
> DELL RAID firmware compatibility
>
> Ubuntu 8.04 LTS fails to run on some DELL PowerEdge servers with RAID
> controllers, such as the 3/Di controller in the DELL PowerEdge 1650, due to a
> bug in the RAID firmware. To install or upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS on a system
> with the affected RAID controller, you will first need to upgrade your RAID
> firmware.
>
> Im working with a guy with a PowerEdge built in 05/09/2003 in Ireland. He is
> having trouble with his upgrade. Can the firmware be upgrade from within Ubuntu
> or only from in Windows?

Yikes!

I'd strongly suspect from Windows only, or possibly from DOS. DOS is a
lot easier if neither OS is on the machine - you can get a boot
diskette from www.bootdisk.com and start the machine from that. With a
little more work, you can make a DOS-bootable CD-ROM or USB stick if
the machine doesn't have a floppy drive; Google for instructions.

But booting DOS off newer media can be tricky - it might actually be
easier to temporarily transplant the controller into a DOS/Windows
machine, or temporarily install a Windows-bootable hard disk into the
server if this is not possible.

Final option, make a Windows boot CD using BartPE on another machine
and use that.

If none of those is doable, you might have to temporarily install
Windows on it. :¬(
AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven@aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven@hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven@yahoo.co.uk • Skype: liamproven • ICQ: 73187508

Old 04-26-2008, 12:07 AM
James Gray

Wade Smart wrote:
> 04252008 1720 GMT-6
>
> On the Ubuntu Release notes page there is:
>
> DELL RAID firmware compatibility
>
> Ubuntu 8.04 LTS fails to run on some DELL PowerEdge servers with RAID
> controllers, such as the 3/Di controller in the DELL PowerEdge 1650, due to a
> bug in the RAID firmware. To install or upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS on a system
> with the affected RAID controller, you will first need to upgrade your RAID
> firmware.
>
> Im working with a guy with a PowerEdge built in 05/09/2003 in Ireland. He is
> having trouble with his upgrade. Can the firmware be upgrade from within Ubuntu
> or only from in Windows?

I believe you can update the firmware from Linux if you install the Dell
Megaraid utilities. However, these are only provided for RHEL and SuSE
distributions. You might be able to install the RPM for RHEL5 as long
as you convert the RPM to deb using "alien".

I've successfully updated the firmware on our work PE1850's and PE2850's
under CentOS4 but never tried it with Ubuntu. Given that a bad firmware
flash can brick your controller, if you go the "alien" route, you're on
your own (Dell might fix it as long as you plead ignorance).

The other alternative is to flash it from ye olde DOS; however I believe
the only way to create the boot disks from the files provided by Dell,
is to have a windows machine handy (Grrrr). You may be able to use
"unzip" to extract the files from a self-extracting zip from Dell, but
if it's an "msi" installation package etc, that approach wont work
either. If you simply need a DOS boot disk, then try
http://www.bootdisk.com

Sorry I can't offer you any specific advice

HTH,

James

Old 04-26-2008, 12:47 AM
Wade Smart

James Gray wrote:

> I believe you can update the firmware from Linux if you install the Dell
> Megaraid utilities. However, these are only provided for RHEL and SuSE
> distributions. You might be able to install the RPM for RHEL5 as long
> as you convert the RPM to deb using "alien".
>
> James

04252008 1940 GMT-6

I got the guy to give me a bunch of numbers off the back of the pc - but none of
them said they were the Service Tag. I finally figured out which one it was and
got the original system setup. We are in luck that it doesnt have a raid
controller on it.

Wade

Old 04-26-2008, 12:51 AM
Wade Smart