Old 04-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Herbert Fruchtl

Default BusyBox

I am trying to install 8.04 on an old laptop. After choosing the language, I get into a page starting with "BusyBox v1.1.3" and an (initramfs) prompt. I had tried 7.10 on it, with the same effect. Google finds a lot of people with the same problem, but no useful answers. It happens before I have the chance to screw thing up myself. The CD is the normal (live) CD, not the alternative one. Debian works on the machine, but I'm still looking for a distro that gets the USB wireless working without transfering a few dozen packages by memory stick (as the network doesn't work yet...).

The computer is a Sony SR1K. Old but good enough for what I need... Any ideas?

Herbert

Old 04-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Gerald Dachs

Am Fri, 25 Apr 2008 21:59:06 +0000 (GMT)
schrieb Herbert Fruchtl <hfruchtl@yahoo.co.uk>:

> I am trying to install 8.04 on an old laptop. After choosing the
> language, I get into a page starting with "BusyBox v1.1.3" and an
> (initramfs) prompt. I had tried 7.10 on it, with the same effect.

Look like for some reason the kernel doesn't find your cdrom.

> Google finds a lot of people with the same problem, but no useful
> answers.

There are many possible reasons for this. Very often this happens with
inexperienced users that can't make a diagnose that would help to
fix the problem.

> It happens before I have the chance to screw thing up
> myself. The CD is the normal (live) CD, not the alternative one.

Give the alternate iso a try. It uses the debian installer so there
is a big chance to get a step farther.

Gerald

Old 04-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Herbert Fruchtl

> > I am trying to install 8.04 on an old laptop. After choosing the
> > language, I get into a page starting with "BusyBox v1.1.3" and an
> > (initramfs) prompt. I had tried 7.10 on it, with the same effect.
>
> Look like for some reason the kernel doesn't find your cdrom.

Possible. It's an external one with a PCMCIA card. But that's of course where the kernel itself is loaded from...

> > It happens before I have the chance to screw thing up
> > myself. The CD is the normal (live) CD, not the alternative one.
>
> Give the alternate iso a try. It uses the debian installer so there
> is a big chance to get a step farther.

I'll try that next week (better bandwidth from work). Is there a possibility to copy the ISO or the files on it and install from the HD?

Cheers,

Herbert

Old 04-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Gerald Dachs

Am Fri, 25 Apr 2008 22:43:09 +0000 (GMT)
schrieb Herbert Fruchtl <hfruchtl@yahoo.co.uk>:

> > > I am trying to install 8.04 on an old laptop. After choosing the
> > > language, I get into a page starting with "BusyBox v1.1.3" and an
> > > (initramfs) prompt. I had tried 7.10 on it, with the same effect.
> >
> > Look like for some reason the kernel doesn't find your cdrom.
> >
> Possible. It's an external one with a PCMCIA card. But that's of
> course where the kernel itself is loaded from...

Yes, but the kernel is loaded by grub with the help of the bios.
The kernel doesn't use the bios.

Gerald