Old 11-19-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Moving from version to version was:{ Firefox and Java }

I changed the subject line from my previous posting 'Firefox and Java'.
That issue is still not quite resolved.

But along the way, I found something that is not all that appealing to
my kids. One box has Ubuntu 7.04 and the other Ubuntu 7.10. gaim has
been removed and replaced with pidgin. Why was it removed as opposed to
added? Is there some doc somewhere that will deal me what's different
from the older version?

The Add/Remove feature on the 7.10 is very handy. Does it exist in 7.04
just not on the menu? I am going to try the upgrade path from 7.04 to
7.10. Will I lose what is currently installed, like gaim, or will
pidgin simply be added as the kids would prefer. Me too, as I don't
have to hear the whining.

thanks

product doctrine and thus protected from disclosure. If the reader
copies and backups thereof. Thank you.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:34 PM
Thilo Six

Caleb Marcus wrote the following on 19.11.2007 21:21

<<-snip->>

> The reason Gaim was
> removed and Pidgin was added is because Pidgin is simply a newer version
> of Gaim, and keeping both around would be redundant.

just for completness:
http://pidgin.im/~elb/cgi-bin/pyblosxom.cgi/going_public.html

bye
--
Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Old 11-19-2007, 07:43 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Monday 19 November 2007, Michael.Coll-Barth@verizonwireless.com wrote:
> But along the way, I found something that is not all that appealing to
> my kids. *One box has Ubuntu 7.04 and the other Ubuntu 7.10. *gaim has
> been removed and replaced with pidgin. *Why was it removed as opposed to
> added? *Is there some doc somewhere that will deal me what's different
> from the older version?

I believe that Gaim is no longer supported and has been replaced (in all
distros) by pidgin.

http://developer.pidgin.im/

Pidgin is a graphical IM program that lets you sign on to AIM, Jabber, MSN,
Yahoo!, and other IM networks. It uses GTK+. It was formerly called Gaim.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:51 PM

Thanks Caleb, Bruce and Thilo!

I don't use AIM or have a need for IM in general, except for the office
and they give us an in-house only client. My kids, on the other hand,
love it.

In regards to the Add/Remove option on the menus. I found the item by
trying to add to the panel. The problem was that it would not accept a
check mark. I could check it and a second or two, it would uncheck
itself. So, I looked at the properties for it and created a manual add
to the panel. Not quite sure how to get it to add to the menus, but I
did not spend much time there.

As I have said before, Ubuntu is, so far, a very nice replacement for
Windows. Tux, the cute guy that he is, certainly made that an easier
sell. Of course, I have a learning curve. Being a UNIX comand line
type of guy, I guess I have a bigger curve, so thanks for the patience.
It is amazing how much easier 7.10 is to maintain than 7.04, so the
second box gets upgraded!

Old 11-20-2007, 06:25 PM
Thilo Six

Michael.Coll-Barth@VerizonWireless.com wrote the following on 20.11.2007 15:51
> Thanks Caleb, Bruce and Thilo!

welcome

> Being a UNIX comand line type of guy,

well pidgin has a nice cli inerface, too.
it´s called finch.

$ aptitude show finch
Package: finch
State: not installed
Version: 1:2.2.1-1ubuntu4
Section: net
Maintainer: Ubuntu Core Developers <ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com>
Uncompressed Size: 635k
Architecture: i386
Compressed Size: 292k
Filename: pool/main/p/pidgin/finch_2.2.1-1ubuntu4_i386.deb
MD5sum: de61fdd01b998bf0b86a38ccd32a24ce
Archive: gutsy
Depends: pidgin-data (>= 1:2.2.1), ...

> I guess I have a bigger curve, so thanks for the patience.

your welcome.

<<-snip->>

> please notify me
> immediately by replying to this message

done.

> and deleting it and all
> copies and backups thereof. Thank you.

well... ok everybody here is my hat and now you all put this mail back in
there ... hehe

bye
--
Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Old 11-20-2007, 07:37 PM
Caleb Marcus

In regards to the Add/Remove option on the menus. I found the item by
trying to add to the panel. The problem was that it would not accept a
check mark. I could check it and a second or two, it would uncheck
itself. So, I looked at the properties for it and created a manual add
to the panel. Not quite sure how to get it to add to the menus, but I
did not spend much time there.*

What are you trying to add to the menus? If it's Pidgin, it should already be there... but if it's not, right click the menu bar (not the whole panel, just the area that says Applications-Places-System) and hit Edit Menus.