Old 04-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Thomas Kaiser

Default nvidia-glx-new and TwinView

Hello

I try to get TwinView running with my nvidia graphics card but now luck
so far. I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04 and it installed nvidia-glx-new. Now
it looks like the "TwinView" option in the xorg.conf file does nothing.
Has anybody TwinView running with nvidia-glx-new? If so, please post me
the relevant options I have to set in the xorg.conf file or the whole
xorg.conf file, please.

Thanks,

Thomas

Old 04-25-2008, 07:56 PM
"Matthew Clarke"

what works for me:

- install the nvidia drivers (as you have)
- install the nvidia-settings package
- Run: System->Administration->Nvidia X Server Settings

That will give you a GUI interface for your video hardware! Works much
like other OS's resolution/monitor setup apps. Handles TwinView very
nicely. And writes the config to your xorg.conf and all.

Cheers,
MC

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Thomas Kaiser <ubuntu@kaiser-linux.li> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I try to get TwinView running with my nvidia graphics card but now luck
> so far. I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04 and it installed nvidia-glx-new. Now
> it looks like the "TwinView" option in the xorg.conf file does nothing.
> Has anybody TwinView running with nvidia-glx-new? If so, please post me
> the relevant options I have to set in the xorg.conf file or the whole
> xorg.conf file, please.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thomas

Cheers,
MC

Old 04-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Thomas Kaiser

Matthew Clarke wrote:
> what works for me:
>
> - install the nvidia drivers (as you have)
> - install the nvidia-settings package
> - Run: System->Administration->Nvidia X Server Settings
>
> That will give you a GUI interface for your video hardware! Works much
> like other OS's resolution/monitor setup apps. Handles TwinView very
> nicely. And writes the config to your xorg.conf and all

Good Tip.

nvidia-settings is a nice tool, but it looks like it does not recognize my second TFT :-(. In Ubuntu 7.10 the nvidia driver had no problems and I did not change anything on the hardware after/before the upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04. Ubuntu 7.10 did use nvidia-glx, didn't it? (not nvidia-glx-new).

Any more tips, please?

Thanks,

Thomas

Old 04-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Thomas Kaiser

Thomas Kaiser wrote:
> Matthew Clarke wrote:
>> what works for me:
>>
>> - install the nvidia drivers (as you have)
>> - install the nvidia-settings package
>> - Run: System->Administration->Nvidia X Server Settings
>>
>> That will give you a GUI interface for your video hardware! Works much
>> like other OS's resolution/monitor setup apps. Handles TwinView very
>> nicely. And writes the config to your xorg.conf and all
>>
> Good Tip.
>
> nvidia-settings is a nice tool, but it looks like it does not recognize my second TFT :-(. In Ubuntu 7.10 the nvidia driver had no problems and I did not change anything on the hardware after/before the upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04. Ubuntu 7.10 did use nvidia-glx, didn't it? (not nvidia-glx-new).

I played with nvidia-settings tool and got somehow a TwinView (dual
monitor) setup running. My main monitor is running on 640x480 and my
second monitor is running on 1280x1024. 1280x1024 should be the same
resolution on both monitors because both monitors are the same models.

The main monitor is connected on the analog VGA port and the second
monitor is connected on the DVI port with a DVI to VGA adapter (that
means the second port is analog VGA, too!)

I checked the xorg.conf file and found this interesting line:
Option "metamodes" "CRT-0: 640x480 +0+0, CRT-1: 1280x1024
+640+0"

I changed it to:
Option "metamodes" "CRT-0: 1280x1024 +0+0, CRT-1: 1280x1024
+1280+0"
and the second screen went black :-( .

The TwinView (dual monitor) setup was working fine in Ubuntu 7.10 with
the restricted nvidia driver which was available there but it dose not
work anymore with Ubuntu 8.04 :-(

Any pointers advice or help are really appreciated.

Here is my full xorg.conf:
# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings: version 1.0 (buildd@yellow) Tue Mar 4 20:28:57
UTC 2008

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "X.org Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
RgbPath "/etc/X11/rgb"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
Load "GLcore"
Load "record"
Load "dbe"
Load "xtrap"
Load "dri"
Load "extmod"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

#Section "Monitor"
# Identifier "Monitor0"
# VendorName "Unknown"
# ModelName "CRT-0"
# HorizSync 28.0 - 33.0
# VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0
#EndSection

Section "Device"

### Available Driver options are:-
### [arg]: arg optional
#Option "SWcursor" # [<bool>]
#Option "HWcursor" # [<bool>]
#Option "NoAccel" # [<bool>]
#Option "ShadowFB" # [<bool>]
#Option "UseFBDev" # [<bool>]
#Option "Rotate" # [<str>]
#Option "VideoKey" # <i>
#Option "FlatPanel" # [<bool>]
#Option "FPDither" # [<bool>]
#Option "CrtcNumber" # <i>
#Option "FPScale" # [<bool>]
#Option "FPTweak" # <i>
#Option "DualHead" # [<bool>]
# Driver "nv"
# Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "UseEdidFreqs"
# Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "UseEdidFreqs"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
BoardName "NV43 [GeForce 6600 GT]"
Option "TwinView" "1"
Option "MetaModes" "1280x1024,1280x1024"
# Option "TwinViewOrientation" "RightOf"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce 6600 GT"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "1"
Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
Option "metamodes" "CRT-0: 640x480 +0+0, CRT-1: 1280x1024
+1280+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Thomas

Old 04-30-2008, 12:00 AM
"Matthew Clarke"

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 5:44 PM, Thomas Kaiser <ubuntu@kaiser-linux.li> wrote:

I played with nvidia-settings tool and got somehow a TwinView (dual

monitor) setup running. My main monitor is running on 640x480 and my

second monitor is running on 1280x1024. 1280x1024 should be the same

resolution on both monitors because both monitors are the same models.
I had the same problem with Hardy when I was testing the beta and had a "multi-boot madness" situation with Gutsy also. My configs got a little messed up--I ultimately attributed the issue to a mismatch between drivers and kernel. I re-did my multi-install of Hardy and Gutsy properly and the problem went away.

Sorry I cannot provide more detail at the moment... I guess what I'm suggesting is that you confirm that your install of Hardy is clean and up-to-date.

--
Cheers,
MC

Old 04-30-2008, 06:26 AM
Thomas Kaiser

Matthew Clarke wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 5:44 PM, Thomas Kaiser <ubuntu@kaiser-linux.li
> <mailto:ubuntu@kaiser-linux.li>> wrote:
>
> I played with nvidia-settings tool and got somehow a TwinView (dual
> monitor) setup running. My main monitor is running on 640x480 and my
> second monitor is running on 1280x1024. 1280x1024 should be the same
> resolution on both monitors because both monitors are the same models.
>

> I had the same problem with Hardy when I was testing the beta and had a
> "multi-boot madness" situation with Gutsy also. My configs got a little
> messed up--I ultimately attributed the issue to a mismatch between
> drivers and kernel. I re-did my multi-install of Hardy and Gutsy
> properly and the problem went away.
>
> Sorry I cannot provide more detail at the moment... I guess what I'm
> suggesting is that you confirm that your install of Hardy is clean and
> up-to-date.

It's a fresh install on a new HD and fully updated.
I will try the driver from nvidia's site next. Let's see what happens.

Thomas

Old 04-30-2008, 07:42 AM
Clayton

> > I played with nvidia-settings tool and got somehow a TwinView (dual
> > monitor) setup running. My main monitor is running on 640x480 and my
> > second monitor is running on 1280x1024. 1280x1024 should be the same
> > resolution on both monitors because both monitors are the same models.

Sometimes... depending on the monitor, the nvidia-settings tool
incorrectly detects one of the monitors (I haven't checked with nVidia
to see if this is a known bug). It then defaults to what I call
"safe" settings and you end up with one of the monitors set to a max
of 640x480. This would happen to me when one of my monitors was an
LCD TV capable of up to 1400x900 (it would be incorrectly detected and
best i could get was 640x480).

The main culprit is the Monitor0 or Monitor1 refresh settings. If the
monitors are the same, you should see identical HorizSync and
VertRefresh values. If the monitors are different.. there is a manual
way you can figure it out and manually tweak your xorg.conf to get it
working the way you want.

So.. if the monitors are identical, edit your xorg.conf, and copy the
correct HorizSync and VertRefresh values. Save and restart X.

If the monitors are different....
----------
- make an initial backup of your working xorg.conf (just in case all
goes wrong, you can set things back to the last known working
state).... eg: sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.working

- Run nvidia-settings and configure for twinview. Allow it to set
the "wrong" 640x480 values for the second monitor. Save the settings
to the xorg.conf file.

- make a backup copy of the xorg.conf eg: sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.firstmonitor

- swap the monitor cables over

- run nvidia-settings and go through the process of setting up
Twinview again. Note, you may need to force nvidia-settings to
re-detect the monitors.. the most reliable way I found was to copy the
last known working single monitor configuration back to xorg.conf (you
made a backup of that working configuration right?), restart X, and
then run nvidia-settings.

- once you have two xorg.conf files, one where monitor0 is set up
correctly, and one where monitor1 is set up correctly, open the two
xorg.conf files (xorg.conf and xorg.conf.firstmonitor) and copy the
Section Monitor values over (from the xorg.conf.firstmonitor file) and
the Section Screen values (from the xorg.conf.firstmonitor file). You
have to use a little thinking to make sure you get the Monitor0,
Monitor1, Screen0 and Screen1 values in the right places... make sure
that they match to where each monitor is physically plugged into the
video card.

- save and restart X.

This in theory should give you a fully functioning dual monitor setup
with all the right settings - well it's what I ended up doing to get
my set up working "right".

Once you've done this, you should also be able to use nvidia-settings
to do things like change resolutions for either monitor etc.

Remember, if all goes wrong, you still have a backup of the last known
working xorg.conf file and you can recover things by simply copying it
back: sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.working /etc/X11/xorg.conf and then
restarting X.

C.