FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-25-2008, 07:46 PM
R Kimber
 
Default disks renamed in 8.04

Having upgraded to 8.04, I find that the disks have been renamed.

What was hdb1 now seems to be sdb1. The problem with this is that my
external USB drive used for backups used to be /dev/sdb1. How do I find
out what it is now so that I can edit the scripts that write to
it?

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-25-2008, 07:52 PM
"Bob Cortez"
 
Default disks renamed in 8.04

Hi Richard

In a terminal window enter* sudo lshw

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:46 AM, R Kimber <rkimber@ntlworld.com> wrote:

Having upgraded to 8.04, I find that the disks have been renamed.



What was hdb1 now seems to be sdb1. *The problem with this is that my

external USB drive used for backups used to be /dev/sdb1. *How do I find

out what it is now so that I can edit the scripts that write to

it?



- Richard

--

Richard Kimber

http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/



--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Marius Gedminas
 
Default disks renamed in 8.04

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 08:46:39PM +0100, R Kimber wrote:
> Having upgraded to 8.04, I find that the disks have been renamed.
>
> What was hdb1 now seems to be sdb1. The problem with this is that my
> external USB drive used for backups used to be /dev/sdb1. How do I find
> out what it is now so that I can edit the scripts that write to
> it?

Plug it in and see? The latest kernel messages ('dmesg | tail' in a
terminal window) will show you the device name. Or you can use mount to
see the device name.

You can also use one of the more expressive device aliases that appear
in /dev/disk, such as

/dev/disk/by-label/MYUSBDISK
/dev/disk/by-uuid/2D86-1B3A
/dev/disk/by-id/usb-32MB_HardDrive_230760A43DF01841-0:0-part1
/dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:1d.0-usb-0:2:1.0-scsi-0:0:0:0-part1

You can find the label & UUID of the disk by right-clicking on its
desktop icon and looking in the Volume tab. It's easy to see which of
the ID/path devices is the right one if you have only one USB disk.

Marius Gedminas
--
A "critic" is a man who creates nothing and thereby feels qualified to judge
the work of creative men. There is logic in this; he is unbiased -- he hates
all creative people equally.
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-25-2008, 08:27 PM
R Kimber
 
Default disks renamed in 8.04

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:52:25 -0800
Bob Cortez wrote:

> Hi Richard
>
> In a terminal window enter sudo lshw
>

Thanks.

Is this new assignment permanent? Can I rely on it being /dev/sdd1, as
it now is, from reboot to reboot?

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-25-2008, 09:51 PM
James Tappin
 
Default disks renamed in 8.04

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 21:27:20 +0100
R Kimber <rkimber@ntlworld.com> wrote:

RK> Is this new assignment permanent? Can I rely on it being /dev/sdd1,
RK> as it now is, from reboot to reboot?

I'm not sure, but (assuming you want the device to be mounted at boot,
rather than hotplugging) I'd suggest a safe option would be to give the
device a label, e.g.:

tune2fs -L BACKUP /dev/sdd1
then in your /etc/fstab have:
LABEL=BACKUP .....
as the mount specification

James

--
+------------------------+-------------------------------+---------+
| James Tappin | School of Physics & Astronomy | O__ |
| sjt@star.sr.bham.ac.uk | University of Birmingham | -- /` |
| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722 | |
+--------------------------------------------------------+---------+

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-26-2008, 11:46 AM
R Kimber
 
Default disks renamed in 8.04

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 22:51:58 +0100
James Tappin wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 21:27:20 +0100
> R Kimber <rkimber@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> RK> Is this new assignment permanent? Can I rely on it
> RK> being /dev/sdd1, as it now is, from reboot to reboot?
>
> I'm not sure, but (assuming you want the device to be mounted at boot,
> rather than hotplugging) I'd suggest a safe option would be to give
> the device a label, e.g.:
>
> tune2fs -L BACKUP /dev/sdd1
> then in your /etc/fstab have:
> LABEL=BACKUP .....
> as the mount specification

Good idea. Thanks.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-26-2008, 01:17 PM
"Craig Hagerman"
 
Default disks renamed in 8.04

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 8:46 PM, R Kimber <rkimber@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> > I'm not sure, but (assuming you want the device to be mounted at boot,
> > rather than hotplugging) I'd suggest a safe option would be to give
> > the device a label, e.g.:
> >
> > tune2fs -L BACKUP /dev/sdd1
> > then in your /etc/fstab have:
> > LABEL=BACKUP .....
> > as the mount specification

I think you are talking about the same problem I just wrote about in
Hardy where mounted discs are displayed by label rather than by mount
point (as it was previously). I don't have labels on my mounted discs
so they ALL show up as "500.1 GB Media".

I was under the impression that if you changed the label of a disc it
wiped all the data. Is this not so? I don't want to try that tune2fs
thing if it is going to wipe out 500 GB of data.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-27-2008, 12:18 AM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux
 
Default disks renamed in 8.04

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 22:17 +0900, Craig Hagerman wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 8:46 PM, R Kimber <rkimber@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> > > I'm not sure, but (assuming you want the device to be mounted at boot,
> > > rather than hotplugging) I'd suggest a safe option would be to give
> > > the device a label, e.g.:
> > >
> > > tune2fs -L BACKUP /dev/sdd1
> > > then in your /etc/fstab have:
> > > LABEL=BACKUP .....
> > > as the mount specification
>
> I think you are talking about the same problem I just wrote about in
> Hardy where mounted discs are displayed by label rather than by mount
> point (as it was previously). I don't have labels on my mounted discs
> so they ALL show up as "500.1 GB Media".
>
> I was under the impression that if you changed the label of a disc it
> wiped all the data. Is this not so? I don't want to try that tune2fs
> thing if it is going to wipe out 500 GB of data.


Hello Ubuntu cracks and experts
Yes, I too was under this impression that if one changes label of a disc
under Linux ...
... like above ! ;-|

Especially as a newbie one has not really an idea how to setup best and
most ideal !

Sometime later one would like to change and adjust that and this, i.e.
like labels.
At installation I have set labels and some I would like to change to
something better / shorter !?

Even with labeling at installation ...
... my /etc/fstab shows no label entries !!

Could you enlighten us, please !?

TIA and cheers, svobi


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Oliver Grawert
 
Default disks renamed in 8.04

hi,
Am Freitag, den 25.04.2008, 21:27 +0100 schrieb R Kimber:
> Is this new assignment permanent? Can I rely on it being /dev/sdd1, as
> it now is, from reboot to reboot?
no, it isnt, the linux kernel uses partition UUIDs by default for
identifying devices now, the /dev/sddX and /dev/hddX devices can change
all the time, use a UUID entry in your fstab to identify the drive. this
ID stamp gets written at formatting time and will only change if you
change the formatting of your partition. to get the UUID of a partition
use the command:

blkid <partition name>

where partition name is /dev/sddX or hddX ...

in your fstab have a line like (indeed adjust the filesystem if you dont
use ext3):

UUID=f8c42a53-f50b-4d40-a56f-d1463ba0e822 /backups ext3 defaults 0 0

with the UUID output the first command gave you.

while gvfs/nautilus shows labels on the desktop if they are available,
using labels is not the best idea in an fstab.
your label might be "backups" and guess the USB key your friend gave you
yesterday with the cool new holiday photos you want to copy has the same
label.... will be fun if your backup scrpts run overnight while the key
is plugged in and overwrite all the stuff of your friend

ciao
oli
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-27-2008, 11:52 AM
R Kimber
 
Default disks renamed in 8.04

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 12:14:34 +0200
Oliver Grawert wrote:

> hi,
> Am Freitag, den 25.04.2008, 21:27 +0100 schrieb R Kimber:
> > Is this new assignment permanent? Can I rely on it
> > being /dev/sdd1, as it now is, from reboot to reboot?
> no, it isnt, the linux kernel uses partition UUIDs by default for
> identifying devices now, the /dev/sddX and /dev/hddX devices can
> change all the time, use a UUID entry in your fstab to identify the
> drive. this ID stamp gets written at formatting time and will only
> change if you change the formatting of your partition. to get the
> UUID of a partition use the command:
>
> blkid <partition name>
>
> where partition name is /dev/sddX or hddX ...

Thanks. That's helpful. I have, though, been somewhat wary of
UUIDs ever since an earlier re-install allocated identical UUIDs to two
different drives.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:35 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org