Old 04-25-2008, 03:31 PM
John Toliver

Default problems installing g++ hardy heron

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 17:15 +0200, Bram Kuijper wrote:

sudo apt-get install g++

sudo apt-get install "g++"

with the same response:

Try searching for it in the synaptic?* I'm in the middle of downbloading JRE or else I'd have verified you could find it myself....sorry

Patience yields far greater results than brute force or rage ever could so relax......it's just life !!!

Old 04-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Nils Kassube

Bram Kuijper wrote:
> I am trying to install g++ on a fresh install of hardy heron. How can I
> avoid bash eating away my operators?
>
> sudo apt-get install g++
>
> it says:
>
> couldn't find package g
>
> apparently bash sees the +-es as an operator. So I tried also:

Nope, not bash. And I couldn't reproduce your trouble - "sudo apt-get
install g++" works here.

Nils

Old 04-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Karl Larsen

Bram Kuijper wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to install g++ on a fresh install of hardy heron. How can I
> avoid bash eating away my operators?
>
> sudo apt-get install g++
>
> it says:
>
> couldn't find package g
>
> apparently bash sees the +-es as an operator. So I tried also:
>

> sudo apt-get install g++
> sudo apt-get install "g++"
>
> with the same response:
> couldn't find package g
>
> what should I do to install g++?
>
> Bram

Try apt-get install gcc

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 04-25-2008, 08:14 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 05:15:24PM +0200, Bram Kuijper wrote:
> I am trying to install g++ on a fresh install of hardy heron. How can I
> avoid bash eating away my operators?
>
> sudo apt-get install g++
>
> it says:
>
> couldn't find package g
>
> apparently bash sees the +-es as an operator. So I tried also:
>
> sudo apt-get install g++
> sudo apt-get install "g++"
>
> with the same response:
> couldn't find package g

This is weird. What is your system locale? (The 'locale' command
prints your settings.)

I'm blindly guessing that perhaps a broken locale might cause '+' to be
misclassified as a whitespace character, or something.

> what should I do to install g++?

'sudo apt-get install g++' works for me. You could try aptitude or
synaptic and select g++ from the list.

Marius Gedminas
--
Think different? I'd be happy if most people would just think...