Old 04-25-2008, 02:58 PM
"John Toliver"

Default - How do I disable Compositing?

I decided to throw caution to the wind and upgrade to Hardy the first day it came out.* Overall I like it.* The OS seems a bit faster on certain things and I'm overjoyed that finally, I can properly share a folder on my laptop on the network (don't laugh).* In my eagerness to test out desktop effects, I enabled it knowing full well my T23 couldn't handle it and has an unsupported graphics chip.* It tried to enable it and then gave me the error that desktop effects couldn't be enabled however I think it turned on the default compositer when it attempted to start compiz, and then forgot to turn it off.* Apparently Hardy doesn't use xcompmgr for this and I don't know how to disable compositing.

1. What is the compositing manager that hardy defaults to?

2. I might be able to figure this out but, what command can I use to turn it off?

As always thanks in advance for any help.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:07 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 10:58 -0400, John Toliver wrote:

> 1. What is the compositing manager that hardy defaults to?

Compiz

> 2. I might be able to figure this out but, what command can I use to
> turn it off?

Menu System > Preferences > Appearance. Go to tab Visual Effects, select
None.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:15 PM
"John Toliver"

I did this first.* Visual effects are disabled however I still have the black shadows and attempt at fading around windows that came whenever I manually started xcompmgr -cCfF.* I really wouldn't mind but it screws around with video playback.

Thanks again.

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 10:58 -0400, John Toliver wrote:

> 1. What is the compositing manager that hardy defaults to?

Compiz

> 2. I might be able to figure this out but, what command can I use to

> turn it off?

Menu System > Preferences > Appearance. Go to tab Visual Effects, select

None.

Patience yields far greater results than brute force or rage ever could so relax......it's just life !!!

Old 04-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 11:15 -0400, John Toliver wrote:
> I did this first. Visual effects are disabled however I still have
> the black shadows and attempt at fading around windows that came
> whenever I manually started xcompmgr -cCfF. I really wouldn't mind
> but it screws around with video playback

Hmmm, sorry, no idea then, I haven't seen this issue.