Old 04-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Default Ubuntu 8.04: Migrating to Firefox 2.0.0.x from Firefox 3 Beta

OS: Ubuntu 8.04

How to migrate to stable firefox 2.0.0.x from firefox 3 Beta, until
firefox 3 final becomes available.

1. Run System::Administration::Software Sources.

2. i) Run System::Administration::Synaptic Package Manager.

ii) Press the Search button and type firefox.

iii) By selecting the "Mark for complete removal" boxes, uninstall
the "firefox", "firefox-3.0" and its dependencies packages.

iv) Install "firefox-2" and "firefox-2-gnome-support" packages.

3. Delete the .mozilla directory under your home directory (in my case
/home/john). If you are using nautilus, activate the View::Show Hidden
Files menu item, to do this.

4. Restart Ubuntu 8.04.

Now Firefox 2.0.0.x (currently 2.0.0.14) is ready to be used from the
menu Applications::Internet.

If it doesn't run at the first attempt, press alt-F2 and type firefox-2
and press Run.

If anyone has any problems, reply to this message.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:05 PM
Ioannis Vranos

[Removed an unnecessary step]

OS: Ubuntu 8.04

How to migrate to stable firefox 2.0.0.x from firefox 3 Beta, until
firefox 3 final becomes available.

1. i) Run System::Administration::Synaptic Package Manager.

ii) Press the Search button and type firefox.

iii) By selecting the "Mark for complete removal" boxes, uninstall
the "firefox", "firefox-3.0" and its dependencies packages.

iv) Install "firefox-2" and "firefox-2-gnome-support" packages.

2. Delete the .mozilla directory under your home directory (in my case
/home/john). If you are using nautilus, activate the View::Show Hidden
Files menu item, to do this.

3. Restart Ubuntu 8.04.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 17:03 +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> OS: Ubuntu 8.04
>

> How to migrate to stable firefox 2.0.0.x from firefox 3 Beta, until
> firefox 3 final becomes available.

It's very nice of you to provide a summary.

> 1. Run System::Administration::Software Sources.
>
> 2. i) Run System::Administration::Synaptic Package Manager.
>
> ii) Press the Search button and type firefox.
>
> iii) By selecting the "Mark for complete removal" boxes, uninstall
> the "firefox", "firefox-3.0" and its dependencies packages.

We have discussed this in another thread. WHY do you recommend to remove
FF2 when there is no real reason to do so? Or, if there is, please point
to the relevant issues (ideally, bug reports)

> iv) Install "firefox-2" and "firefox-2-gnome-support" packages.
>
> 3. Delete the .mozilla directory under your home directory (in my case
> /home/john). If you are using nautilus, activate the View::Show Hidden
> Files menu item, to do this.

It usually IS possible to keep the old FF2 profile. By removing it
prevent FF3 from carrying over the old settings. I see no point in doing
so. One can still try that after it turns out that for some (rare)
reason there is an issue with the old profile.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 17:03 +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>> OS: Ubuntu 8.04
>>

>> How to migrate to stable firefox 2.0.0.x from firefox 3 Beta, until
>> firefox 3 final becomes available.
>

> It's very nice of you to provide a summary.
>
>> 1. Run System::Administration::Software Sources.
>>
>> 2. i) Run System::Administration::Synaptic Package Manager.
>>
>> ii) Press the Search button and type firefox.
>>
>> iii) By selecting the "Mark for complete removal" boxes, uninstall
>> the "firefox", "firefox-3.0" and its dependencies packages.
>
> We have discussed this in another thread. WHY do you recommend to remove
> FF2 when there is no real reason to do so? Or, if there is, please point
> to the relevant issues (ideally, bug reports)
>
>> iv) Install "firefox-2" and "firefox-2-gnome-support" packages.
>>
>> 3. Delete the .mozilla directory under your home directory (in my case
>> /home/john). If you are using nautilus, activate the View::Show Hidden
>> Files menu item, to do this.
>
> It usually IS possible to keep the old FF2 profile. By removing it
> prevent FF3 from carrying over the old settings. I see no point in doing
> so. One can still try that after it turns out that for some (rare)
> reason there is an issue with the old profile.

The text is about removing the Firefox 3 Beta and installing Firefox 2
stable, and not the opposite as it looks like you think in your message.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:07 PM
Felipe Figueiredo

WARNING: people who follow this will loose all settings, including
bookmarks, RSS feeds, plugins and languages locally installed.

It's also unnecessary to do as described here, as Firefox3 is reported to
coexist well with Firefox2 when both are installed on Ubuntu 8.04 from
the official repositories.

regards
FF

Old 04-25-2008, 03:09 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 18:00 +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

> The text is about removing the Firefox 3 Beta and installing Firefox 2
> stable, and not the opposite as it looks like you think in your
> message.

Sorry, it was a type to write, "WHY do you recommend to remove
FF2 when there is no real reason to do so?" It should have been "FF3"

My point is that there is no reason to remove FF3 Beta at all. One can
simply install FF2 and use that. This way one will receive the update to
FF3 Final automatically, once is is released.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 17:09 +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> Sorry, it was a type to write, [...]
^^^

D'oh! Typo
^^^

Old 04-25-2008, 07:07 PM
NoOp

On 04/25/2008 07:03 AM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

> 3. Delete the .mozilla directory under your home directory (in my case
> /home/john). If you are using nautilus, activate the View::Show Hidden
> Files menu item, to do this.

I very much recommend *against* doing this, unless of course you have
backed this up someplace else. It is better to give instructions to
rename .mozilla to x-.mozilla-x so you can restore it if necessary.

The .mozilla directory is used for more than just FireFox. For example:

- It also is used for SeaMonkey (in that case you've just deleted *all*
of my SM emails if I followed your instruction)

- It can (and is in my case) be used for plugins: ./mozilla/plugins

- It is used to store extensions (in that case you've just deleted all)

- It can be used to store added bookmarks, backup profiles, chrome
files, css files, js files, bookmarks, backup addressbooks, etc., etc.

To advise others to simply delete the .mozilla directory is irresponsible.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:14 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Felipe Figueiredo wrote:
> It's also unnecessary to do as described here, as Firefox3 is reported to
> coexist well with Firefox2 when both are installed on Ubuntu 8.04 from
> the official repositories.

I do not know if this applies to 8.04, but in general, different
versions of the same program should not be installed on the same OS
installation.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:30 PM
Ioannis Vranos

NoOp wrote:
> On 04/25/2008 07:03 AM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>
>> 3. Delete the .mozilla directory under your home directory (in my case
>> /home/john). If you are using nautilus, activate the View::Show Hidden
>> Files menu item, to do this.
>
> I very much recommend *against* doing this, unless of course you have
> backed this up someplace else. It is better to give instructions to
> rename .mozilla to x-.mozilla-x so you can restore it if necessary.
>
> The .mozilla directory is used for more than just FireFox. For example:
>
> - It also is used for SeaMonkey (in that case you've just deleted *all*
> of my SM emails if I followed your instruction)
>
> - It can (and is in my case) be used for plugins: ./mozilla/plugins
>
> - It is used to store extensions (in that case you've just deleted all)
>
> - It can be used to store added bookmarks, backup profiles, chrome
> files, css files, js files, bookmarks, backup addressbooks, etc., etc.
>
> To advise others to simply delete the .mozilla directory is irresponsible.

I should have noted that I was talking about a fresh clean installation.
I will repost the message with this notice.