Old 04-25-2008, 12:56 PM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

Default What's the cause / reason of: "unable to resolve host WS24 !?

Hi Linux / Ubuntu experts and cracks
My wife's notebook has Hardy 8.04-RC / LTS installed.

At systemboot menu.lst shows 2 sets of bootables and
I wanted to mark one of the sets with # to avoid displaying.

This happens:

xyz@WS24:~$ sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
sudo: unable to resolve host WS123
xyz@WS24:~$

What am I missing or doing wrong ??

TIA for your help, hints and suggestions.
Cheers, svobi

Old 04-26-2008, 12:31 AM
Tim

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 20:56 +0800, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> Hi Linux / Ubuntu experts and cracks
> My wife's notebook has Hardy 8.04-RC / LTS installed.
>
> At systemboot menu.lst shows 2 sets of bootables and
> I wanted to mark one of the sets with # to avoid displaying.
>
> This happens:
>
> xyz@WS24:~$ sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
> sudo: unable to resolve host WS123
> xyz@WS24:~$

Can you run other commands via sudo? The error suggests
that /etc/sudoers has a reference to an unknown host in it.

Are you sure about the error message -the subject line references WS24,
an d so do the shell prompts in the text, but the error message above
references WS123 (have you edited the host name in the messages?)

Old 04-26-2008, 12:53 AM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 12:31 +1200, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 20:56 +0800, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> > Hi Linux / Ubuntu experts and cracks
> > My wife's notebook has Hardy 8.04-RC / LTS installed.
> >
> > At systemboot menu.lst shows 2 sets of bootables and
> > I wanted to mark one of the sets with # to avoid displaying.
> >
> > This happens:
> >
> > xyz@WS24:~$ sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
> > sudo: unable to resolve host WS24
> > xyz@WS24:~$
> >
> Can you run other commands via sudo? The error suggests
> that /etc/sudoers has a reference to an unknown host in it.
>
> Are you sure about the error message -the subject line references WS24,
> an d so do the shell prompts in the text, but the error message above
> references WS123 (have you edited the host name in the messages?)

Thanks and sorry, Tim !
My mistake & typo, all should be and are WS24 !!
Need to check with other sudo's. ;-)
Cheers, svobi

Old 04-26-2008, 01:57 AM
Marius Gedminas

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 08:53:07AM +0800, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 12:31 +1200, Tim wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 20:56 +0800, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> > > Hi Linux / Ubuntu experts and cracks
> > > My wife's notebook has Hardy 8.04-RC / LTS installed.
> > >
> > > At systemboot menu.lst shows 2 sets of bootables and
> > > I wanted to mark one of the sets with # to avoid displaying.
> > >
> > > This happens:
> > >
> > > xyz@WS24:~$ sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
> > > sudo: unable to resolve host WS24
> > > xyz@WS24:~$
> > >
> > Can you run other commands via sudo? The error suggests
> > that /etc/sudoers has a reference to an unknown host in it.
> >
> > Are you sure about the error message -the subject line references WS24,
> > an d so do the shell prompts in the text, but the error message above
> > references WS123 (have you edited the host name in the messages?)
>
> Thanks and sorry, Tim !
> My mistake & typo, all should be and are WS24 !!

sudo is very unhappy if it cannot resolve the system hostname. The fix
is to make sure /etc/hosts has an entry for the hostname. In your case
the top of the file should look like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 WS24

Now, editing /etc/hosts is difficult if sudo doesn't work for you. You
may need to boot in rescue mode to get a root shell and use a text-mode
editor (nano is simple and user-friendly, vi is complex and beloved by
experienced admins).

Cheers,
Marius Gedminas
--
TCP_UP - The 16-bit TCP Urgent Pointer, encoded as the hex
representation of the value of the field. The hex string MUST be

Old 04-26-2008, 09:49 PM
David Curtis

Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 08:53:07AM +0800, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:

>>> Can you run other commands via sudo? The error suggests
>>> that /etc/sudoers has a reference to an unknown host in it.
>>>
>>> Are you sure about the error message -the subject line references WS24,
>>> an d so do the shell prompts in the text, but the error message above
>>> references WS123 (have you edited the host name in the messages?)
>> Thanks and sorry, Tim !
>> My mistake & typo, all should be and are WS24 !!
>
> sudo is very unhappy if it cannot resolve the system hostname. The fix
> is to make sure /etc/hosts has an entry for the hostname. In your case
> the top of the file should look like this:
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 127.0.1.1 WS24
>

> Now, editing /etc/hosts is difficult if sudo doesn't work for you. You
> may need to boot in rescue mode to get a root shell and use a text-mode
> editor (nano is simple and user-friendly, vi is complex and beloved by
> experienced admins).
>
> Cheers,
> Marius Gedminas

It has been reported in lauchpad and the forums that 'gksu gedit
/etc/hosts' should work. Also from the menu: System > Administration >
Network > Hosts.

I don't have this problem, so if the above is incorrect please inform.

HTH,

Dave.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:44 PM
jsan4christ

sudo is very unhappy if it cannot resolve the system hostname. The fix
is to make sure /etc/hosts has an entry for the hostname. In your case
the top of the file should look like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 WS24

Now, editing /etc/hosts is difficult if sudo doesn't work for you.

use gksudo gedit /etc/hosts

this should give you a provide you with dialog to authenticate and then the
page to edit.

cheers!