Old 04-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Pierre Frenkiel

Default unattended update-manager

I ran update-manager to upgrade from Feisty to Gutsy, in January, and
I had to stay in front of my computer for more than 3 hours, just to
answer 8 to 10 questions about keeping config files or installing the new ones.
Is there a way avoid that (for example, by setting a default answer)?
I think this should be available via a update-manager option.

Pierre

Old 04-25-2008, 06:26 PM
NoOp

On 04/25/2008 05:13 AM, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> I ran update-manager to upgrade from Feisty to Gutsy, in January, and
> I had to stay in front of my computer for more than 3 hours, just to
> answer 8 to 10 questions about keeping config files or installing the new ones.
> Is there a way avoid that (for example, by setting a default answer)?
> I think this should be available via a update-manager option.
>
> Pierre

There probably is, but is most likely is more trouble than it is worth
(unless you are updating quite a few systems at the same time).

One of the reasons the update takes so long is that you are doing it
from the internet. So, the update goes out and fetches info, configures,
checks, fetches more info, etc. You can speed this up by upgrading from
the CD. I don't know about the liveCD (I don't use it), but you can put
the alternate in your CD drive while you have Gutsy running. Gutsy will
then prompt you with a menu to upgrade from the CD (Cancel/Start package
manager/Run upgrade) - select "Run upgrade".

That should speed things up considerably.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:57 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 02:13:59PM +0200, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> I ran update-manager to upgrade from Feisty to Gutsy, in January, and
> I had to stay in front of my computer for more than 3 hours, just to
> answer 8 to 10 questions about keeping config files or installing the new ones.
> Is there a way avoid that (for example, by setting a default answer)?

Well, you can reduce the time to something like 40 minutes by
pre-downloading the packages, say, overnight, and then running
update-manager interactively.

I do the pre-downloading by editing /etc/apt/sources.list as root,
replacing gutsy with hardy, and then running

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade --download-only -y

I ran this command the night before the official Hardy release and got
1.2 gigs of debs at a rather decent speed. After the release
update-manager needed to download only 600k extra.

> I think this should be available via a update-manager option.

That would be nice, yes. Just show me a list of the config files I
should review at the very end (and perhaps email that list to
root@localhost -- that would be useful on a server).

Marius Gedminas
--
The laser etcher can accept most any image data, (think logos or screen dumps!)
and render it on a heat-sensitive surface. There's a big tunable exhaust fan,

Old 04-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Freitag, den 25.04.2008, 14:13 +0200 schrieb Pierre Frenkiel:
> I ran update-manager to upgrade from Feisty to Gutsy, in January, and
> I had to stay in front of my computer for more than 3 hours, just to
> answer 8 to 10 questions about keeping config files or installing the new ones.
> Is there a way avoid that (for example, by setting a default answer)?
> I think this should be available via a update-manager option.
thats sadly hard to do with a system upgrade since there might be
conffiles you changed manually which need human input to not break your
setup by blindly overwriting things (these prompts are supressed
wherever possible by update-manager already, if you get one thats likely
because you or an app you used changed a system config).
but have a look at the unattended-upgrades package for security updates
on a stable system

ciao
oli

Old 04-26-2008, 01:45 PM
Pierre Frenkiel

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008, Oliver Grawert wrote:

> thats sadly hard to do with a system upgrade since there might be
> conffiles you changed manually which need human input to not break your
> setup by blindly overwriting things

hi,
I don't understand you point. There are several ways to achieve the desired result,
each of them seeming not so hard to do:
1/ postpone all the choices about config files to the end of the upgrade
2/ provide a flag --keep ==> keep the user's file, and create xx.conf-new
3/ provide a flag --replace ==> move the user's file to xx.conf-old
and put in place the new file.
in cases 2 and 3, the user can very easily, after the upgrade,
review all config files, and do what he/she wants.

Anyway, the proposed workarounds (download the packages first / burn the cd)
seems a good improvement. I did the first step. I have now to do the upgrade,
and check wether it takes actully 40 minutes.

Pierre

Old 04-28-2008, 06:21 AM
"PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE"

>I ran update-manager to upgrade from Feisty to Gutsy, in January, and
I had to stay in front of my computer for more than 3 hours, just to
answer 8 to 10 questions about keeping config files or installing the new ones.
Is there a way avoid that (for example, by setting a default answer)?
I think this should be available via a update-manager option.

This is a good idea (i.e. keeping config fies or installing new ones), if the user can later roll-back to change some of the answers if there is any problem.

Regards.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Pierre Frenkiel

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Marius Gedminas wrote:

> . . .
> sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade --download-only -y
> . . .
that seemed a good idea. So I performed the first steps, which worked well.
But after that I had a more basic problem on 1 machine:
- on my desktop, update-manager works ( new distribution ... available )
- on my laptop, I get:
"you can install 1 update",
" download size 82 kb"
but the description window is empty, and clicking on "install updates"
dows nothing
Anyway, update-manager gives the message
"current dist not found in meta-release file"
and do-release-upgrade gives:
" Checking for a new ubuntu release
current dist not found in meta-release file
No new release found "
Browsing the Web for that message gave me no useful information. apart that
this bug was already present in previous releases, and was supposed to be fixed.

May-be this post should be done in a new thread?

Pierre

Old 04-28-2008, 10:23 AM
T bosc

Take a look at ubuntu source list on your laptop. Search an example of source.list for your release version and replace your list with this one.
I had a similar problem with Gutsy and this one solved it.

Pierre Frenkiel <pierre.frenkiel@laposte.net> wrote: On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Marius Gedminas wrote:

> . . .
> sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade --download-only -y
> . . .
that seemed a good idea. So I performed the first steps, which worked well.
But after that I had a more basic problem on 1 machine:
- on my desktop, update-manager works ( new distribution ... available )
- on my laptop, I get:
"you can install 1 update",
" download size 82 kb"
but the description window is empty, and clicking on "install updates"

dows nothing
Anyway, update-manager gives the message
"current dist not found in meta-release file"
and do-release-upgrade gives:
" Checking for a new ubuntu release
current dist not found in meta-release file
No new release found "
Browsing the Web for that message gave me no useful information. apart that
this bug was already present in previous releases, and was supposed to be fixed.

May-be this post should be done in a new thread?

Pierre

Be a better friend, newshound, and
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.--

Old 04-28-2008, 12:48 PM
"PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE"

** I don't understand you point. There are several ways to achieve the desired result,
** each of them seeming not so hard to do:
**** 1/ postpone all the choices about config files to the end of the upgrade
**** 2/ provide a flag --keep ==> keep the user's file, and create xx.conf-new
**** 3/ provide a flag --replace ==> move the user's file to xx.conf-old
********* and put in place the new file.
**** in cases 2 and 3, the user can very easily, after the upgrade,
**** review all config files, and do what he/she wants.

*
Is there any list of conf-new* / conf-old files (or a script to detect them) related to a new installation ?. This would be interesting to backup.
*
Regards.--

Old 04-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 14:48 +0200, PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE wrote:
> Is there any list of conf-new / conf-old files (or a script to detect
> them) related to a new installation ?

locate dpkg-new
locate dpkg-old

This should suffice after the locate database was updated. Otherwise,
something like

sudo find / -name "*.dpkg-old"