Old 04-25-2008, 06:59 AM
"Big Z"

Default How to config VIM on ubuntu8.04 server?

Hi,everybody

I meet strange problem about vim configuration on ubuntu8.04 server.
I use follow two cmd:

sudo apt-get install vim
sudo cp /usr/share/vim/vim71/vimrc_example.vim /etc/vim/vimrc

when I used ubuntu7.04, it's all OK after above cmd.
but now it's not work. VIM isn't using the configuration..no syntax...

I also try to set ":syntax on" in vim window, it's not work.
I also try to "cp /usr/share/vim/vim71/vimrc_example.vim ~/.vimrc",
it's not work and show error.

How to config VIM on ubuntu8.04 server? I thought I config it use
above two cmd enough on 7.04.
somebody said that must install vim-full package, but the vim-full is
so large and includes many trashy GUI packages to my server.

--
Best Regards!

Old 04-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Markus Schönhaber

Big Z wrote:

> I meet strange problem about vim configuration on ubuntu8.04 server.
> I use follow two cmd:
>
> sudo apt-get install vim
> sudo cp /usr/share/vim/vim71/vimrc_example.vim /etc/vim/vimrc
>
> when I used ubuntu7.04, it's all OK after above cmd.
> but now it's not work. VIM isn't using the configuration..no syntax...

Works fine for me.

> I also try to set ":syntax on" in vim window, it's not work.
> I also try to "cp /usr/share/vim/vim71/vimrc_example.vim ~/.vimrc",
> it's not work and show error.

Since you didn't consider it necessary to tell us *what* errors
*exactly* you got when you did the different things you did, one can
only guess:
Maybe vim.tiny is still the default alternative for vim on your machine. Try
sudo update-alternatives --config vim
and select vim.basic.

> somebody said that must install vim-full package,

Nonsense.

> but the vim-full is
> so large and includes many trashy GUI packages to my server.

Yep. Installing the "vim" package, as you did, should get you the vim
you want.

Regards
mks

Old 04-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Felipe Figueiredo

On Fri 25 Apr 2008 03:59:53 Big Z wrote:
> Hi,everybody
>
> I meet strange problem about vim configuration on ubuntu8.04 server.
> I use follow two cmd:
>
> sudo apt-get install vim
> sudo cp /usr/share/vim/vim71/vimrc_example.vim /etc/vim/vimrc
>
> when I used ubuntu7.04, it's all OK after above cmd.
> but now it's not work. VIM isn't using the configuration..no syntax...
>
> I also try to set ":syntax on" in vim window, it's not work.
> I also try to "cp /usr/share/vim/vim71/vimrc_example.vim ~/.vimrc",
> it's not work and show error.
>
> How to config VIM on ubuntu8.04 server? I thought I config it use
> above two cmd enough on 7.04.
> somebody said that must install vim-full package, but the vim-full is
> so large and includes many trashy GUI packages to my server.

Maybe the wrong vim alternative is in use (perhaps vim-tiny?). Try this
command and see if you can choose another one that works as you expect:

sudo update-alternatives --config vim

regards
FF