Old 04-25-2008, 12:47 AM
Pat Brown

Default Problem updating Ubuntu 8.04

I updated to Ubuntu Gutsy a month or so ago. Since then there have been
several updates which I always applied. But I was unable to update for
about 2-3 weeks since at the time I was staying with family and they
have a limit on downloads, so I had to stop downloading. Now I'm in my
own place but when I try to run the updates, it first comes back with a
message saying it can't update everything but it can do a partial. So I
click okay and then I get an error authenticating some packages and at
that point all I can do is Cancel. It says it may be a 'transient'
problem and to try again later. I've tried this about 4 times and never
get past this point. So I'm at an impasse. I've seen that install
partial updates before and was always able to go back after the initial
round of installs and update the rest, but now I can't update at all.
And to top it off I'm having issues with some web sites - PayPal and
eBay in particular. I can get to the sites, but the minute I try to do
any transactions Firefox closes completely. Sometimes I get an error
reporting option but it won't do the report because I need the updated
files. It's a vicious circle. Can anyone help.

--
Pat Brown
http://www.pabrown.ca/

L.A. Heat, the first Chris and David mystery