Old 04-24-2008, 05:09 PM
"Richard Cloutier"

Default RAID drives

* I have Windows XP
configured on two 250 GB drives configured as RAID 0.* Can I load Ubuntu 8.xx
on this drive?

*

Richard Cloutier

*

*

Old 04-25-2008, 06:12 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 1:09 PM, Richard Cloutier <rrcloutier@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have Windows XP configured on two 250 GB drives configured as RAID 0.
> Can I load Ubuntu 8.xx on this drive?

Windows software RAID? Hardware RAID from the BIOS? Expensive
hardware RAID controller? More info required....

An expensive hardware RAID controller (you'd know...) will work fine
and just look like one drive to linux (or windows, or anything else)

I'm assuming it's hardware RAID from your motherboard. The answer is 'maybe'
Boot with the Live CD and see if it recognizes your drives.

Linux software RAID is generally considered as good as or better than
the RAID provided by your motherboard. Unless you are trying to dual
boot, I'd just use it - it's more portable and probably more reliable.

I don't have any experience with Windows software RAID although I'm
pretty sure it exists. *IIRC* you have to have Win Server 2k or newer
to get it. I gather Windows server admins almost always use hardware
RAID. I wonder how WUBI deals with this...

Does that help?

Brian

Old 04-25-2008, 08:24 PM
"Liam Proven"

2008/4/24 Richard Cloutier <rrcloutier@gmail.com>:
> I have Windows XP configured on two 250 GB drives configured as RAID 0.
> Can I load Ubuntu 8.xx on this drive?
>
> Richard Cloutier

Almost certainly not. Unless you have a proper hardware RAID
controller, *not* one of the cheap SIL or similar
motherboard-integrated RAID controllers. By proper hardware, I mean an
add-on card from ALI or 3ware or someone; you will know if you bought
one, they typically cost more than the drives they control:
£150/US$300+.

Motherboard integrated RAID chips just use software to fool the OS
into thinking that 2 drives are one.

RAID0 is just striping, done for performance; it's not real RAID. The
R in RAID stands for "redundant"; a stripe is not redundant. If either
disk fails, you lose everything on both drives.

Back up your XP install to an external drive using a boot disk and an
imaging app such as PowerQuest DriveImage or Norton Ghost. Break the
stripe up into 2 separate disks in your BIOS. Restore XP onto the 1st
drive; put Ubuntu onto the now-empty 2nd drive. You will only get half
the space but you probably won't notice the loss of performance;
striped disks on workstations are a red herring, the claimed
performance benefits are largely spurious.

AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven@aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven@hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven@yahoo.co.uk • Skype: liamproven • ICQ: 73187508

Old 04-28-2008, 03:13 PM
Neil

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 7:09 PM, Richard Cloutier <rrcloutier@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have Windows XP configured on two 250 GB drives configured as RAID 0.
> Can I load Ubuntu 8.xx on this drive?
>

> Richard Cloutier

Hello

You most probably have something called a Fake Raid system. This means
the OS needs drivers to be able to run it. I tried to run the Fake
raid 0 I had on my Asus P4P800 with Ubuntu 6 to no avail. Suse was
able to get it right. Default Ubuntu does not include the dmraid
package that enables the fake raid on most systems. There may be a way
to get ubuntu to include the dmraid package while booting, but I have
no clue how.
I would advise to use Suse instead of Ubuntu, for it is more
apropriate for these setups. Suse isn't as user friendly as Ubuntu,
but I feel it is a bit more admin friendly.

A while back I did manage to get BSD to recognise the fake raid system
correctly. This may be possible under Ubuntu, but it is tricky to the
inexperienced user. It needed a small old harddrive to boot from,
created a software raid system with the same properties as the fake
raid and mounted most things (all but /dev and /boot as I recall) from
the new harddrive. Interresting as it was, I couldn't have done it
without a good BSD nerd helping me.

Neil
--
There are two kinds of people:
1. People who start their arrays with 1.