Old 04-24-2008, 11:07 PM
steve

Default alpha > beta> to LTS

Old 04-24-2008, 11:41 PM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 19:07 -0400, steve wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was under the impression hardy alpha and beta releases would
> eventually turn into LTS if I just kept running the update manager. Ive
> had hardy installed for maybe 2 months or so, and have regularly ran
> updates maybe twice a week to "keep up" As of today, I have no updates
> available, and /boot/grub/menu.lst still shows development branch as
> seen below...any idea why? (I have already run update-manager -d,
> nothing shows as available)
>

> title Ubuntu hardy (development branch), kernel 2.6.24-16-386
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-386
> root=UUID=d65ab5bb-a3a0-446e-9ad8-e6e3009a302c ro quiet splash
> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-386
> quiet
>
> title Ubuntu hardy (development branch), kernel 2.6.24-16-386 (recovery
> mode)

> thanks.
>
> - --
> Steve Reilly

Hi Steve
You forgot the RC !

> alpha > beta> to LTS

After beta> and before "to LTS" there is the RC !! ;-)

Good luck & cheers, svobi

Old 04-25-2008, 12:20 AM
steve

Old 04-25-2008, 04:51 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 19:07 -0400, steve wrote:
> I was under the impression hardy alpha and beta releases would
> eventually turn into LTS if I just kept running the update manager.

This is correct.

> {...]As of today, I have no updates
> available, and /boot/grub/menu.lst still shows development branch as
> seen below...any idea why?

Dunno, I tracked Hardy since before the Alpha releases and I have:

## ## End Default Options ##
title Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic

What is the contents of /etc/lsb-release ?

> (I have already run update-manager -d,
> nothing shows as available)

That's normal. the "-d" switch is needed to tell update-manager to try
and upgrade to a not-yet-released new version, e.g., from 7.10 to 8.04
alpha/beta. Currently there is, however, no in-development version
8.10.

(From the man page of update-manager:
-d, --devel-release
Check if upgrading to the latest devel release is possible)

Within the 8.04 branch, the daily updates from pre-alpha up to final
release (and any updates that come after release, e.g., security fixes)
are just "normal" upgrades that don't need the "-d" switch.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 24.04.2008, 20:20 -0400 schrieb steve:

> Hi, thanks, but even after I run apt-get update, and then update-manager
> ~ -d it still reports no updates available?
which is right

> Maybe its got to do with the update servers overloaded due to the
> release,?
it has rather something to do with the -d you use
see update-manager -h ... the -d tells u-m to try to upgrade to the next
*development* release (intrepid (8.10) now that hardy is released) which
indeed doesnt exist yet. try without -d and see if that helps.

ciao
oli

Old 04-25-2008, 11:44 AM
steve

Old 04-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Freitag, den 25.04.2008, 07:44 -0400 schrieb steve:

> thanks for the tip, I tried it without the switch and still get the same
> response. no updates available. Im sure there probably isnt any
> updates as I kept up quite regularly during development. the only thing
> thats weird by me is that menu.lst still says development release, i
> thought the development part would drop off eventually?
menu.lst will only get updated if a new kenrel is getting installed,
yours was probably already the latest when hardy got final. have a look
at the output of lsb_release -a, that actually tells you what the system
thinks it is
if that also shows development in its output then something is wrong.

ciao
oli

Old 04-25-2008, 12:02 PM
steve

Old 04-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 08:02:49AM -0400, steve wrote:
> Oliver Grawert wrote:
> | hi,
> | Am Freitag, den 25.04.2008, 07:44 -0400 schrieb steve:
> |> thanks for the tip, I tried it without the switch and still get the same
> |> response. no updates available. Im sure there probably isnt any
> |> updates as I kept up quite regularly during development. the only thing
> |> thats weird by me is that menu.lst still says development release, i
> |> thought the development part would drop off eventually?
> | menu.lst will only get updated if a new kenrel is getting installed,
> | yours was probably already the latest when hardy got final. have a look
> | at the output of lsb_release -a, that actually tells you what the system
> | thinks it is
> | if that also shows development in its output then something is wrong.
> |
> | ciao
> | oli
> |

> ah! just as I suspected! all is well.
>
> steve@ubuntu-laptop:~$ lsb_release -a
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID: Ubuntu
> Release: 8.04
> Codename: hardy
>

> thanks for the tips oli, have a good day.

You can run 'sudo update-grub' to regenerate grub's menu.lst. Perhaps
it will then have correct titles.

Regards,
Marius Gedminas
--
Linux. Where do you want to go tomorrow?

Old 04-25-2008, 10:54 PM
steve

Marius Gedminas wrote:
| On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 08:02:49AM -0400, steve wrote:
|> Oliver Grawert wrote:
|> | hi,
|> | menu.lst will only get updated if a new kenrel is getting installed,
|> | yours was probably already the latest when hardy got final. have a look
|> | at the output of lsb_release -a, that actually tells you what the
system
|> | thinks it is
|> | if that also shows development in its output then something is wrong.
|> |
|> | ciao
|> | oli
|> |

|> ah! just as I suspected! all is well.
|>
|> steve@ubuntu-laptop:~$ lsb_release -a
|> No LSB modules are available.
|> Distributor ID: Ubuntu
|> Release: 8.04
|> Codename: hardy
|>

|> thanks for the tips oli, have a good day.
|
| You can run 'sudo update-grub' to regenerate grub's menu.lst. Perhaps
| it will then have correct titles.
|
| Regards,
| Marius Gedminas

well thanks, I gave that a go, and a cat of menu.lst shows no change,
still says "development". its really not a huge deal, i just thought i
was still in the development cycle, which i DONT want to be. thanks again.

- --
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com