Old 04-24-2008, 04:28 PM
Oliver Grawert

Default Ubuntu Pricing Concern

hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 24.04.2008, 11:17 -0500 schrieb Ilya Vishnyakov:
> Hello, Ubuntu Lovers!
>

> I noticed that the Ubuntu Release News Article notices: “Pricing and
> Availability: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop Edition is free of
> charge” (http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu-8.04-lts-desktop)

you can optionally (aside to the costfree http://shipit.ubuntu.com) buy
pressed CDs or DVDs if you urgently want (since gutsy already) at
https://shop.canonical.com/

there are no plans for any commercial release of ubuntu ever.

ciao
oli

Old 04-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 11:17 -0500, Ilya Vishnyakov wrote:
> I noticed that the Ubuntu Release News Article notices: “Pricing and
> Availability: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop Edition is free of
> charge” (http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu-8.04-lts-desktop)
>
> What does Ubuntu want to say us by the term “Pricing”? Does this mean
> that there will be “commercial” releases in the future?

They want corporate users who have no concept of the term "free of
charge" to understand it.

There is no need to discuss this, read
<http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu>

If there were a need to discuss this, then it still should not happen on
this list, which is for technical support.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Felipe Figueiredo

On Thu 24 Apr 2008 13:17:17 Ilya Vishnyakov wrote:
> Hello, Ubuntu Lovers!
>

> I noticed that the Ubuntu Release News Article notices: "Pricing and
> Availability: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop Edition is free of charge"
> (http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu-8.04-lts-desktop)
>

> What does Ubuntu want to say us by the term "Pricing"? Does this mean
> that there will be "commercial" releases in the future?

In the front page in http://www.ubuntu.com/ there is the following:

"The Ubuntu promise

* Ubuntu will always be free of charge, including enterprise releases
and security updates.
* Ubuntu comes with full commercial support from Canonical and
hundreds of companies around the world.
* Ubuntu includes the very best translations and accessibility
infrastructure that the free software community has to offer.
* Ubuntu CDs contain only free software applications; we encourage you
to use free and open source software, improve it and pass it on.

Read more about the Ubuntu philosophy[1]"

1. http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/philosophy

regards
FF

Old 04-24-2008, 05:06 PM
"Owen Townend"

On 25/04/2008, Ilya Vishnyakov <ivishnyakov@1stbasis.com> wrote:

> Hello, Ubuntu Lovers!
>

> I noticed that the Ubuntu Release News Article notices: "Pricing and Availability: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop Edition is free of charge" (http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu-8.04-lts-desktop)
>

> What does Ubuntu want to say us by the term "Pricing"? Does this mean that there will be "commercial" releases in the future?
>

> Please share your thoughts on this topic.
>

> Thank you in advance.
Hey,
It is a little odd. There is this[1] on the frontpage www.ubuntu.com
Given a frontpage promise that Ubuntu will never cost anything, it
doesn't make sense to have 'Pricing' included so prominantly along
with the specific 'Desktop Edition is free of charge'. Why not
reiterate the promise that _all_ editions are always going to be free
and avoid the confusion.

cheers,
Owen.

Footnotes
--
[1]

Old 04-24-2008, 05:10 PM
"Ilya Vishnyakov"

> I noticed that the Ubuntu Release News Article notices: "Pricing and
Availability: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop Edition is free of charge"
(http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu-8.04-lts-desktop)

> What does Ubuntu want to say us by the term "Pricing"? Does this mean
that there will be "commercial" releases in the future?

> Please share your thoughts on this topic.
>

> Thank you in advance.
Hey,
It is a little odd. There is this[1] on the frontpage www.ubuntu.com
Given a frontpage promise that Ubuntu will never cost anything, it
doesn't make sense to have 'Pricing' included so prominantly along
with the specific 'Desktop Edition is free of charge'. Why not
reiterate the promise that _all_ editions are always going to be free
and avoid the confusion.

You made a good point. Following it would dismiss the need to implement
the "Pricing term". It's all just reminds me RedHat.... .

cheers,
Owen.

Footnotes
--
[1]

Old 04-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Wulfy

Ilya Vishnyakov wrote:

Hello, Ubuntu Lovers!

*

I noticed that the Ubuntu
Release News Article notices: “Pricing
and Availability: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop Edition is free of charge” (http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu-8.04-lts-desktop)

*

What does Ubuntu want to
say us by the term “Pricing”?
Does this mean that there will be “commercial” releases in the
future?

*

Please share your
thoughts on this topic.

*

Thank you in advance.

Perhaps it's there because Canonical offer commercial (paid) support:

http://www.ubuntu.com/support/paid

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Copyright July 17, 1988 by Del Goetz

Old 04-24-2008, 06:02 PM
Ari Torhamo

to, 2008-04-24 kello 11:17 -0500, Ilya Vishnyakov kirjoitti:
> Hello, Ubuntu Lovers!
>

> I noticed that the Ubuntu Release News Article notices: “Pricing and
> Availability: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop Edition is free of
> charge” (http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu-8.04-lts-desktop)
>

> What does Ubuntu want to say us by the term “Pricing”? Does this mean
> that there will be “commercial” releases in the future?

I agree that this was perhaps not the best way to put it, although
naturally not wrong in any way.

Ari

Old 04-24-2008, 08:19 PM
"Owen Townend"

> Hey,
> It is a little odd. There is this[1] on the frontpage www.ubuntu.com
> Given a frontpage promise that Ubuntu will never cost anything, it
> doesn't make sense to have 'Pricing' included so prominantly along
> with the specific 'Desktop Edition is free of charge'. Why not
> reiterate the promise that _all_ editions are always going to be free
> and avoid the confusion.
>
> cheers,
> Owen.
>

> You made a good point. Following it would dismiss the need to implement
> the "Pricing term". It's all just reminds me RedHat.... .

I actually had a longer post written out about Ron's thread on debian-user
'Why Redhat is the business distro' which IIRC became a discussion
about the psychology of perceived value.
In this vein, one gain of the current section title including
'Pricing' could be that it sets up an expectation of cost (and value)
then gives it away for free.
Just a thought.

cheers,
Owen.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Marc Wiatrowski

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 11:17 -0500, Ilya Vishnyakov wrote:

Hello, Ubuntu Lovers!

*

I noticed that the Ubuntu Release News Article notices: “Pricing and Availability: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop Edition is free of charge” (http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu-8.04-lts-desktop)

*

What does Ubuntu want to say us by the term “Pricing”? Does this mean that there will be “commercial” releases in the future?

*

I read it kind of like a joke, a jab at OSs that you do have to pay for...

Old 04-24-2008, 09:17 PM
Karl Larsen

Marc Wiatrowski wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 11:17 -0500, Ilya Vishnyakov wrote:
>
>> Hello, Ubuntu Lovers!
>>

>> I noticed that the Ubuntu Release News Article notices: “Pricing and
>> Availability: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop Edition is free of
>> charge” (http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu-8.04-lts-desktop)
>>

>> What does Ubuntu want to say us by the term “Pricing”? Does this mean
>> that there will be “commercial” releases in the future?
>>

> I read it kind of like a joke, a jab at OSs that you do have to pay
> for...

So far as I care, if the price was near what Microsoft charges I
would buy Ubuntu. The point is that Ubuntu is a far better operating
system than the others and I choose to use it. I used Red Hat for years
because it was good.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI