Old 04-24-2008, 02:55 PM
DigitalPig

Default Does anybody use apt-get dist-upgrade to upgrade to Hardy?

Hi there~

I was a Debian user. Since Ubuntu is another branch of Debian, I
wondering if apt-get dist-upgrade works. I read Ubuntu.com and it
recommend to use update-manager. However, I don't like graphic UI since
I have no idea what the progress is. (I mean on which package the update
manager is working.) Is there any critical issues that prevents me using
apt-get dist-upgrade?

Thanks!
--
DigitalPig
E-mail: digitalpiglee AT gmail DOT com

*Fudan University Macromoleculer Science Forum*
http://fudanmacro.com

Old 04-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Avi Greenbury

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 10:55:26 -0400
DigitalPig <lizhenqing.fudan@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was a Debian user. Since Ubuntu is another branch of Debian, I
> wondering if apt-get dist-upgrade works.

Not recently, but I've used apt-get dist-upgrade to get from 6.06 to 6.10.

--
Avi Greenbury

Old 04-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 24.04.2008, 10:55 -0400 schrieb DigitalPig:
> Hi there~
>
> I was a Debian user. Since Ubuntu is another branch of Debian, I
> wondering if apt-get dist-upgrade works. I read Ubuntu.com and it
> recommend to use update-manager. However, I don't like graphic UI since
> I have no idea what the progress is. (I mean on which package the update
> manager is working.) Is there any critical issues that prevents me using
> apt-get dist-upgrade?
use update-manager-core for commandline upgrades, dont use apt-get if
you cant handle the fallout you get with it (u-m has builtin handling
for a ton of special cases to guarantee a smooth upgrade in any case.
using apt-get you are on your own and will surely have to do some
additional manual steps)

see http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading for details ...

ciao
oli

Old 04-24-2008, 04:05 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 10:55 -0400, DigitalPig wrote:
> However, I don't like graphic UI since I have no idea what the
> progress is. (I mean on which package the update manager is working.)

Why not, simply click the Details button.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:12 PM
DigitalPig

Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> writes:

> On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 10:55 -0400, DigitalPig wrote:
>> However, I don't like graphic UI since I have no idea what the
>> progress is. (I mean on which package the update manager is working.)
>
> Why not, simply click the Details button.
Oh. Because GUI is slower than CMD. And I, personally, like
scrolling.

And I found in GUI there is no place to indicate the mirror server. It
simply get from us.archive.ubuntu.com. I don't know if there is any way
to change this, since I treat Ubuntu as a fast updating "Debian" and
follow every habit I had in Debian. So maybe I am wrong.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 12:12 -0400, DigitalPig wrote:
> And I found in GUI there is no place to indicate the mirror server. It
> simply get from us.archive.ubuntu.com. I don't know if there is any
> way to change this, since I treat Ubuntu as a fast updating "Debian"
> and follow every habit I had in Debian. So maybe I am wrong.

System > Administration > Software Sources

Old 04-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Derek Broughton

DigitalPig wrote:

> Hi there~
>
> I was a Debian user. Since Ubuntu is another branch of Debian, I
> wondering if apt-get dist-upgrade works. I read Ubuntu.com and it
> recommend to use update-manager. However, I don't like graphic UI since
> I have no idea what the progress is. (I mean on which package the update
> manager is working.) Is there any critical issues that prevents me using
> apt-get dist-upgrade?

None, though I much prefer to use aptitude.
--
derek

Old 04-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Derek Broughton

Oliver Grawert wrote:

> use update-manager-core for commandline upgrades, dont use apt-get if
> you cant handle the fallout you get with it (u-m has builtin handling
> for a ton of special cases to guarantee a smooth upgrade in any case.

Guarantee? That's a huge improvement over Gutsy...

I tried update-manager for the first time with gutsy, and it broke, so I
went back to aptitude.
--
derek

Old 04-24-2008, 08:35 PM
"Michael R. Head"

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 14:35 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Oliver Grawert wrote:
>
> > use update-manager-core for commandline upgrades, dont use apt-get if
> > you cant handle the fallout you get with it (u-m has builtin handling
> > for a ton of special cases to guarantee a smooth upgrade in any case.
>
> Guarantee? That's a huge improvement over Gutsy...
>
> I tried update-manager for the first time with gutsy, and it broke, so I
> went back to aptitude.

I've updated a few machines (both 6.06LTS and 7.10) with both
update-manager and update-manager-core (over the past month or two). The
only major glitch (in the upgrade process specifically) I encountered
was due to an out of sync mirror.

In my experience, the dist upgrader has seen a lot of improvement since
it was first introduced a couple years ago.

Of course it's annoying that it disables third party repositories, but
that's easy to correct post-upgrade.

--
Michael R. Head <burner@suppressingfire.org>
http://www.cs.binghamton.edu/~mike/

Old 04-25-2008, 08:11 AM
"PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE"

>I was a Debian user. Since Ubuntu is another branch of Debian, I
wondering if apt-get dist-upgrade works. I read Ubuntu.com and it
recommend to use update-manager. However, I don't like graphic UI since
I have no idea what the progress is. (I mean on which package the update
manager is working.) Is there any critical issues that prevents me using
apt-get dist-upgrade?

Try https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Debian/ToUbuntu*.

And talk there and here your experience.

Regards.