Old 04-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Default Ubuntu 8.04 and Firefox 3 Beta 5

I have some concerns about Ubuntu 8.04 and Firefox 3 Beta 5. I have read
that Firefox 3 Betas are unstable. Why this Beta was chosen to be
included in Ubuntu 8.04 instead of the stable version? Are there any
other Betas included in Ubuntu 8.04? Has anyone any experience on
Firefox 3 Beta 5 under Ubuntu 8.04?

The Firefox 3 Beta 5 mainly stops me from upgrading to Ubuntu 8.04.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:57 PM
"Nicolae Ghimbovschi"

You can remove firefox 3b5 and install firefox 2 using package manager

I have some concerns about Ubuntu 8.04 and Firefox 3 Beta 5. I have read

that Firefox 3 Betas are unstable. Why this Beta was chosen to be

included in Ubuntu 8.04 instead of the stable version? Are there any

other Betas included in Ubuntu 8.04? Has anyone any experience on

Firefox 3 Beta 5 under Ubuntu 8.04?

The Firefox 3 Beta 5 mainly stops me from upgrading to Ubuntu 8.04.

"Be the change you want to see in the world !" Gandhi Mahatma

Old 04-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Felipe Figueiredo

On Thu 24 Apr 2008 11:49:39 Ioannis Vranos wrote:

> Why this Beta was chosen to be
> included in Ubuntu 8.04 instead of the stable version?

There was at least one thread about this this month. Please check the
archives.

> Are there any
> other Betas included in Ubuntu 8.04?

Have you checked the release notes? You can also check packages.ubuntu.com
for the exact version of each individual package you want to know.

> Has anyone any experience on
> Firefox 3 Beta 5 under Ubuntu 8.04?

Many people. See the past thread(s).

> The Firefox 3 Beta 5 mainly stops me from upgrading to Ubuntu 8.04.

There is also firefox-2 in universe, and they should be able to co-exist
nicely (but you shouldn't try to use them simultaneously!). Please, read
available information before taking conclusions.

regards
FF

Old 04-24-2008, 02:59 PM
"Senectus ."

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 10:49 PM, Ioannis Vranos <ivranos@freemail.gr> wrote:
> I have some concerns about Ubuntu 8.04 and Firefox 3 Beta 5. I have read
> that Firefox 3 Betas are unstable. Why this Beta was chosen to be
> included in Ubuntu 8.04 instead of the stable version? Are there any
> other Betas included in Ubuntu 8.04? Has anyone any experience on
> Firefox 3 Beta 5 under Ubuntu 8.04?
>
> The Firefox 3 Beta 5 mainly stops me from upgrading to Ubuntu 8.04.
I've been using 8.04 since the beta, and am very much impressed with
the improvements of Firefox.
In my experience it's faster and more stable than ver2!

Only downside is that there are not a lot of compatible extensions,
tool bars etc for it. (I miss my mouse gestures!!)

--
Ubuntu Hardy 8.04
The less you know, the more you believe. - Bono

Old 04-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Felipe Figueiredo wrote:
> On Thu 24 Apr 2008 11:49:39 Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>
>> Why this Beta was chosen to be
>> included in Ubuntu 8.04 instead of the stable version?
>
> There was at least one thread about this this month. Please check the
> archives.

I am not interested in Ubuntu 8.04 Beta discussions. In Ubuntu 8.04 Beta
they could have added many Beta versions of any other programs they
wanted, since it was a Beta, and I didn't/don't care about Ubuntu 8.04
Beta discussions.

I care about the Ubuntu 8.04 final release and related problems.

I do not think there is any other discussion thread about Firefox 3 Beta
5 and Ubuntu 8.04 final release.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Avi Greenbury

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 17:49:39 +0300
Ioannis Vranos <ivranos@freemail.gr> wrote:

> I have some concerns about Ubuntu 8.04 and Firefox 3 Beta 5. I have read
> that Firefox 3 Betas are unstable. Why this Beta was chosen to be
> included in Ubuntu 8.04 instead of the stable version? Are there any
> other Betas included in Ubuntu 8.04? Has anyone any experience on
> Firefox 3 Beta 5 under Ubuntu 8.04?

I found FF 3b5 to be considerably more stable than FF2 under 7.10.
With whatever point release of FF2 I had before, I'd have apparently random, and certainly not requested, exiting of Firefox, or lockups that required killing from the command line. No crashes yet with FF 3b5.
FF 3b5 is certainly not noticeably less stable under 8.04b that 7.10, but I've not had cause to measure it.

In short, I've had no problems with the beta of FF3, and I imagine it's increased stability over FF2.x is a part of the reason it's in 8.04

--
Avi Greenbury

Old 04-24-2008, 03:23 PM
DigitalPig

Ioannis Vranos <ivranos@freemail.gr> writes:

> I have some concerns about Ubuntu 8.04 and Firefox 3 Beta 5. I have read
> that Firefox 3 Betas are unstable. Why this Beta was chosen to be
> included in Ubuntu 8.04 instead of the stable version? Are there any
> other Betas included in Ubuntu 8.04? Has anyone any experience on
> Firefox 3 Beta 5 under Ubuntu 8.04?
>
> The Firefox 3 Beta 5 mainly stops me from upgrading to Ubuntu 8.04.

Because the idea of Ubuntu I think. In opensource community, beta does
*NOT* mean something with a lot of bugs. In contrast, beta means there
is a lot of improvements and the developers want people to install and
try. Some times it's only because of the software development policy. For
example, Debian has a very long testing period of beta to make sure that
everything works fine on all architectures. Sometimes it is almost
perfect on i386, but not enough reports from the situation on the sparc
machine. They will keep the distribution as "test". But in fact, it is
already usable in i386.

I think same thing happens here. Firefox is a cross-platform and huge
software. The testing needs to cover all platforms with many OS and
machines. There are very unlikely big bugs existing now. You can try it
out if you like pursuing the latest functions.

--
DigitalPig
E-mail: digitalpiglee AT gmail DOT com

*Fudan University Macromoleculer Science Forum*
http://fudanmacro.com

Old 04-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Felipe Figueiredo

On Thu 24 Apr 2008 12:14:54 Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Felipe Figueiredo wrote:
> > On Thu 24 Apr 2008 11:49:39 Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> >> Why this Beta was chosen to be
> >> included in Ubuntu 8.04 instead of the stable version?
> >
> > There was at least one thread about this this month. Please check the
> > archives.
>
> I am not interested in Ubuntu 8.04 Beta discussions. In Ubuntu 8.04
> Beta they could have added many Beta versions of any other programs
> they wanted, since it was a Beta, and I didn't/don't care about Ubuntu
> 8.04 Beta discussions.
>

> I care about the Ubuntu 8.04 final release and related problems.
>
> I do not think there is any other discussion thread about Firefox 3
> Beta 5 and Ubuntu 8.04 final release.

Perhaps you failed to notice that firefox3 final would not be released
before Hardy final, and that FF3 should be upgraded accordingly when it
gets released. On a second notice, why would you believe FF3 beta would
be dropped in HardyH final, if it was included in the HH-beta?

Also note, as I and others mentioned, that you were wrong when you said
the beta was included *instead* of the stable, so this is actually a
non-issue.

PS: I am also pretty sure, even though I've not looked into it, that this
decision is documented somewhere either in ubuntu's website, or the
devel-* mailing list archives. If you're interested in this information,
I suggest you look at those places first.

regards
FF

Old 04-24-2008, 04:05 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Felipe Figueiredo wrote:
>> I am not interested in Ubuntu 8.04 Beta discussions. In Ubuntu 8.04
>> Beta they could have added many Beta versions of any other programs
>> they wanted, since it was a Beta, and I didn't/don't care about Ubuntu
>> 8.04 Beta discussions.
>>

>> I care about the Ubuntu 8.04 final release and related problems.
>>
>> I do not think there is any other discussion thread about Firefox 3
>> Beta 5 and Ubuntu 8.04 final release.
>
> Perhaps you failed to notice that firefox3 final would not be released
> before Hardy final, and that FF3 should be upgraded accordingly when it
> gets released. On a second notice, why would you believe FF3 beta would
> be dropped in HardyH final, if it was included in the HH-beta?

From my previous experience of an older version of another distribution,
more precisely, Scientific Linux 4.x x86 (a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.x
derivative, like CentOS), they provided version 1.xx of Firefox and when
1.5 final became available, firefox was updated to 1.5 with no problems.

I suppose something similar could happen here, provide the stable
firefox 2.0.0.14 and when version 3.0 final became available they could
provide an update to it.

> Also note, as I and others mentioned, that you were wrong when you said
> the beta was included *instead* of the stable, so this is actually a
> non-issue.

I do not agree with this view. When something is Beta, it is Beta.

In any case, I would like to see if anyone has/had any troubles with
Firefox 3 Beta 5 on Ubuntu 8.04 final.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 17:49 +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Why this Beta was chosen to be
> included in Ubuntu 8.04 instead of the stable version?

Well, there is no newer version, or else it would have been included.
The official release notes state that an upgrade to the final FF3 "may
be considered" after release.
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/804