Old 04-24-2008, 12:04 AM
"V V"

Default Compiling and installing the kernel.

Hi,
I am new to Linux Kernel. Trying to understand and get into.*
I have a Dell Vostro 1500 and I installed Ubuntu 7.10. Except Wirelss connectivity everything is working fine.
*
Now I want to compile the linux kernel and boot with the new compiled kernel.
*

I installed the source code,
Used the "make gconfig" to configure it. I did not do any changes int the configuration. But saved the file .
compiled it with make.
changed the /boot/grub/menu.lst file accordingly. ( I have changed only the vmlinux part, But I do not know what to do with initrd.etc..)
After the reboot, grub gives me the option for the newkernel. But when I boot with that, it stops after the Ubuntu logo appears.
*
Is there any documnet which clearly specifies all the steps that I need to take to get this working?**
Is there any basic config file for vostro 1500? Is there anything wrong I am doing in creating a config file?
*
*
Thanks,
VV
*
*

Old 04-24-2008, 02:03 AM
"Sandy Harris"

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 8:04 AM, V V <vvatwork@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any documnet which clearly specifies all the steps that I need to
> take to get this working?
> Is there any basic config file for vostro 1500? Is there anything wrong I am
> doing in creating a config file?

Googling "linux kernel compile" finds dozens, but some are out of date.
Try these:
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-kernel/55612-mini-howto-compile-linux-kernel-2-6-a.html

--
Sandy Harris,
Nanjing, China

Old 04-24-2008, 02:05 AM
Jayson Rowe

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, V V wrote:

> Hi,
> I am new to Linux Kernel. Trying to understand and get into.
> I have a Dell Vostro 1500 and I installed Ubuntu 7.10. Except Wirelss
> connectivity everything is working fine.
>
> Now I want to compile the linux kernel and boot with the new compiled
> kernel.
>

> 1. I installed the source code,
> 2. Used the "make gconfig" to configure it. I did not do any changes
> int the configuration. But saved the file .
> 3. compiled it with make.
> 4. changed the /boot/grub/menu.lst file accordingly. ( I have changed
> only the vmlinux part, But I do not know what to do with initrd.etc..)
> 5. After the reboot, grub gives me the option for the newkernel. But
> when I boot with that, it stops after the Ubuntu logo appears.
>

> Is there any documnet which clearly specifies all the steps that I need to
> take to get this working?
> Is there any basic config file for vostro 1500? Is there anything wrong I am
> doing in creating a config file?
>

> Thanks,
> VV

What exactly were you trying to get out of re-compiling the Kernel -
especially given that you did not change any options?

Usually one should only re-compile the Kernel if they have a VERY specific
purpose to do so - the Ubuntu Kernel team does a great job on our kernels.

Anyway - here's the best how-to I've ever found on re-compiling a kernel
for Ubuntu:

Hope this helps...

-jayson

Old 04-24-2008, 03:39 AM
"V V"

Hi Jayson,
*
My main aim is to write device drivers. I am trying to set up everything else before really getting into writing a real device driver.
*
Thanks a lot for pointing the information. I will go through that mail list and try on my Laptop.
*
Regards,
VV

*

Old 04-24-2008, 04:38 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 20:04 -0400, V V wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new to Linux Kernel. Trying to understand and get into.
> I have a Dell Vostro 1500 and I installed Ubuntu 7.10. Except Wirelss
> connectivity everything is working fine.
>
> Now I want to compile the linux kernel and boot with the new compiled
> kernel.

Excuse my question, but why? What are you trying to gain?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

Old 04-24-2008, 08:38 AM
"PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE"

>I am new to Linux Kernel. Trying to understand and get into.*
>I have a Dell Vostro 1500 and I installed Ubuntu 7.10. Except Wirelss connectivity everything is working fine.
*
>Now I want to compile the linux kernel and boot with the new compiled kernel.
*
You donīt need to compile the kernel to install it. You can install a new kernel using Update Manager.
*
This is the easiest way for a newbie.
*
Regards.
*
Pedro.--

Old 04-24-2008, 02:12 PM
"V V"

Hi Mario,
*
My main aim is to write device drivers. I am trying to set up everything else before really getting into writing a real device driver.
*
Thanks a lot for pointing the information. I will go through link and try on my Laptop to compile and install.
*
Let me know if I am in the right path. If not, please guide me to the right*ones.*
*
Regards,
VV

Old 04-24-2008, 03:02 PM
DigitalPig

"V V" <vvatwork@gmail.com> writes:

> 1. I installed the source code,
> 2. Used the "make gconfig" to configure it. I did not do any changes int the
> configuration. But saved the file .
> 3. compiled it with make.
hmmm... You forgot some steps here. Before compile your own kernel, you
need to have a clear image that what kernel you want at last. Most of
the time people want to modify the existed kernel config. So you can
copy the .config file in your /boot and then "make menuconfig" to modify
it. In my memory, make is not enough. At least you have to "make dep"
and "make bzImage" instead. Try to search with Google, and you will find
some good articles about how to compile the kernel.
> 4. changed the /boot/grub/menu.lst file accordingly. ( I have changed only
> the vmlinux part, But I do not know what to do with initrd.etc..)
> 5. After the reboot, grub gives me the option for the newkernel. But when I
> boot with that, it stops after the Ubuntu logo appears.

Good Luck!
--
DigitalPig
E-mail: digitalpiglee AT gmail DOT com

*Fudan University Macromoleculer Science Forum*
http://fudanmacro.com

Old 04-24-2008, 03:04 PM
DigitalPig

Jayson Rowe <jayson.rowe@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, V V wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I am new to Linux Kernel. Trying to understand and get into.
>> I have a Dell Vostro 1500 and I installed Ubuntu 7.10. Except Wirelss
>> connectivity everything is working fine.
>>
>> Now I want to compile the linux kernel and boot with the new compiled
>> kernel.
>>

>> 1. I installed the source code,
>> 2. Used the "make gconfig" to configure it. I did not do any changes
>> int the configuration. But saved the file .
>> 3. compiled it with make.
>> 4. changed the /boot/grub/menu.lst file accordingly. ( I have changed
>> only the vmlinux part, But I do not know what to do with initrd.etc..)
>> 5. After the reboot, grub gives me the option for the newkernel. But
>> when I boot with that, it stops after the Ubuntu logo appears.
>>

>> Is there any documnet which clearly specifies all the steps that I need to
>> take to get this working?
>> Is there any basic config file for vostro 1500? Is there anything wrong I am
>> doing in creating a config file?
>>

>> Thanks,
>> VV
>
> What exactly were you trying to get out of re-compiling the Kernel -
> especially given that you did not change any options?
>
> Usually one should only re-compile the Kernel if they have a VERY specific
> purpose to do so - the Ubuntu Kernel team does a great job on our kernels.
Yes. Ubuntu Team provide an excellent kernel which can boot on most of
the desktops and laptops. But it's a little huge since it compile a lot
of useless modules and kernel functions which you won't use.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 11:04 -0400, DigitalPig wrote:
> Yes. Ubuntu Team provide an excellent kernel which can boot on most of
> the desktops and laptops. But it's a little huge since it compile a
> lot
> of useless modules and kernel functions which you won't use.

Well yeah, but /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic is 109 MB, and few people
would really care about saving 50 MB or so.