Old 11-28-2007, 05:16 PM
James Whitman

Default Ubuntu 7.10 install freezes

issue 1- I burned the disk and when I try to run from the disk on my hp running windows xp media center it freezes.*

*

issue 2 - I took the disk to work with me and it ran like a charm.* loved it.* Only problem was I cant set the resolution to 1440x900

Any help would be appreciated.* I apologize for not knowing how to fix it myself

JIM WHITMAN*

Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live. Connect now!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:01 PM
"Danny Colligan"

Can't help you with 1 without more information, and probably neither
can anyone else on this list without more than an 'it breaks'
description. Please provide more details.

Issue 2: System->Preferences->Screen Resolution
If that fails, it's time for you to get friendly with a little file
called /etc/X11/xorg.conf (but please, BACK IT UP before making any
changes so you can revert if X fails to start)

Danny

Old 11-29-2007, 01:28 AM
James Whitman

When I boot the system, I get the startup screen where I can select Install ubuntu or boot from hard disk.

*

I choose install ubuntu it starts and then just freezes. nothing happens.

*

I have tried*the normal install and the install with safe graphics mode and neither one will load. I always end up having to manually press the computers power button.

*

I am running an HP pavillion 7480n with dual 3GHz intel(r) processors and an NVIDIA GeForce 7300le video card.

*

My media center tv tuner/multimeda card*is acting up, right now*I cannot watch tv or watch saved movies, would that affect this???* I never thought of that before because I haven't used it in so long

*

JIM WHITMAN*

Old 11-29-2007, 01:56 AM
James Takac

On Thursday 29 November 2007 12:28:32 James Whitman wrote:
> When I boot the system, I get the startup screen where I can select Install
> ubuntu or boot from hard disk.
>
> I choose install ubuntu it starts and then just freezes. nothing happens.
>
> I have tried the normal install and the install with safe graphics mode and
> neither one will load. I always end up having to manually press the
> computers power button.
>
> I am running an HP pavillion 7480n with dual 3GHz intel(r) processors and
> an NVIDIA GeForce 7300le video card.
>
> My media center tv tuner/multimeda card is acting up, right now I cannot
> watch tv or watch saved movies, would that affect this??? I never thought
> of that before because I haven't used it in so long
>
> JIM WHITMAN
>
> > Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:01:22 -0800> From: dannycolligan@gmail.com> To:
> > ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com> Subject: Re: Ubuntu 7.10 install freezes>
> > > Can't help you with 1 without more information, and probably neither>
> > can anyone else on this list without more than an 'it breaks'>
> > description. Please provide more details.> > Issue 2:
> > System->Preferences->Screen Resolution> If that fails, it's time for you
> > to get friendly with a little file> called /etc/X11/xorg.conf (but
> > please, BACK IT UP before making any> changes so you can revert if X
> > fails to start)> > Danny> > -- > ubuntu-users mailing list>
> > ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:

Hi James

Probably the best option will be the alternate cd. It uses a text based
install and should get you through it

James

Old 11-29-2007, 02:47 AM
chino-yy