Old 04-23-2008, 04:17 PM
Mario Vukelic

Default Biological viruses

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 09:44 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> It's just like live viruses - if I don't engage in
> risky sex and share needles, I really don't need to take AIDS
> antivirals

While I agree with the general sentiment wrt to computers, I think the
high number of HIV positive people who never performed either of those
actions will disagree with this particular statement.

But no flamewar please let's take this private if there's need for
discussion.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:06 PM
Derek Broughton

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 09:44 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> It's just like live viruses - if I don't engage in
>> risky sex and share needles, I really don't need to take AIDS
>> antivirals
>
> While I agree with the general sentiment wrt to computers, I think the
> high number of HIV positive people who never performed either of those
> actions will disagree with this particular statement.
>
> But no flamewar please let's take this private if there's need for
> discussion.

Flames aren't necessary. There are _not_ a high number of people who are
HIV positive who didn't indulge in risky behaviours. There are a
_significant_ number, I agree, and there are more risk behaviours than I
mentioned - but I'm not a Dental Assistant, either, so that rules out a
whole lot of possible sources of contagion.
--
derek

Old 04-24-2008, 06:56 AM
Atzelan

Derek Broughton schrieb:
> Mario Vukelic wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 09:44 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>>> It's just like live viruses - if I don't engage in
>>> risky sex and share needles, I really don't need to take AIDS
>>> antivirals
>> While I agree with the general sentiment wrt to computers, I think the
>> high number of HIV positive people who never performed either of those
>> actions will disagree with this particular statement.
>>
>> But no flamewar please let's take this private if there's need for
>> discussion.
>
> Flames aren't necessary. There are _not_ a high number of people who are
> HIV positive who didn't indulge in risky behaviours. There are a
> _significant_ number, I agree, and there are more risk behaviours than I
> mentioned - but I'm not a Dental Assistant, either, so that rules out a
> whole lot of possible sources of contagion.

Getting a blood-transfusion in a hospital is a risky behaviour?

Old 04-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Derek Broughton

Atzelan wrote:

> Derek Broughton schrieb:
>> Mario Vukelic wrote:

>>> While I agree with the general sentiment wrt to computers, I think the
>>> high number of HIV positive people who never performed either of those
>>> actions will disagree with this particular statement.
>>>
>>> But no flamewar please let's take this private if there's need for
>>> discussion.
>>
>> Flames aren't necessary. There are _not_ a high number of people who are
>> HIV positive who didn't indulge in risky behaviours. There are a
>> _significant_ number, I agree, and there are more risk behaviours than I
>> mentioned - but I'm not a Dental Assistant, either, so that rules out a
>> whole lot of possible sources of contagion.
>
> Getting a blood-transfusion in a hospital is a risky behaviour?

Not any more, but it was. Not a risk that people chose for themselves,
true, but that was my point about there not being a _high_ number of such
people. It's a few _thousand_ worldwide, compared to millions who have
aquired the virus through voluntary or forced risky behaviour.
--
derek

Old 04-24-2008, 02:42 PM
"B.J. McClure"

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 11:22 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Atzelan wrote:
>
> > Derek Broughton schrieb:

> >> Flames aren't necessary. There are _not_ a high number of people who are
> >> HIV positive who didn't indulge in risky behaviours. There are a
> >> _significant_ number, I agree, and there are more risk behaviours than I
> >> mentioned - but I'm not a Dental Assistant, either, so that rules out a
> >> whole lot of possible sources of contagion.
> >
> > Getting a blood-transfusion in a hospital is a risky behaviour?
>
> Not any more, but it was. Not a risk that people chose for themselves,
> true, but that was my point about there not being a _high_ number of such
> people. It's a few _thousand_ worldwide, compared to millions who have
> aquired the virus through voluntary or forced risky behaviour.
> --
> derek

This thread is way OT folks. The signal to noise ratio is already terrible on this list.

Thanks,

B.J.

CentOS 5.0, Linux 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5 x86_64 09:40:25 up 1:46, 0 users,
load average: 0.00, 0.05, 0.10