Old 04-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Paolo

Default Video driver problem on upgrade to Hardy

Hello,

This morning I upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04 on a Dell Inspiron 9300. And I have a
problem with the video driver (Radeon X300). It used to work OK on 7.10 with
System > Preferences > Appearance set to "Normal".

The problem resembles what I read here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/203809
And at the bottom of that page it says:
"the issue is fixed by removing fglrx which didn't work where as the free driver
did."

I am a fairly capable computer user, but new to Linux. And I don't know how to
"remove fglrx" (nor put it back again, if it turns out to make things even worse!)

I would be grateful for any advice.

thanks, Paolo

Old 04-23-2008, 07:24 PM
NoOp

On 04/23/2008 07:27 AM, Paolo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This morning I upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04 on a Dell Inspiron 9300. And I have a
> problem with the video driver (Radeon X300). It used to work OK on 7.10 with
> System > Preferences > Appearance set to "Normal".
>
> The problem resembles what I read here:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/203809
> And at the bottom of that page it says:
> "the issue is fixed by removing fglrx which didn't work where as the free driver
> did."
>
> I am a fairly capable computer user, but new to Linux. And I don't know how to
> "remove fglrx" (nor put it back again, if it turns out to make things even worse!)
>
> I would be grateful for any advice.
>
> thanks, Paolo

System|Administration|Synaptic...|Search|fglrx

You'll most likely find that fglrx-control and xorg-driver-fglrx are
installed. If so, right click them and mark for complete removal (that
will ensure any config files also get removed), then 'Apply'.

or from a terminal:

sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx-control xorg-driver-fglrx

You'll then want to install/reinstall this:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx

reboot.

Note: I'm not sure if you also need to remove xserver-xorg-video-ati or
not. I'd leave it until someone else comes along and tell you otherwise.

After rebooting, go back to Synaptic and check to see if these are
installed (System|Administration|Synaptic...|Search|compiz):

compiz
compiz-core
compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
compiz-fusion-plugins-main
compiz-gnome
compiz-plugins
emerald

If not, then install them.

To reinstall the above:

sudo apt-get install fglrx-control xorg-driver-fglrx

Old 04-24-2008, 12:29 AM
"Edward Dunagin"

Hello Paolo,

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 1:24 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 04/23/2008 07:27 AM, Paolo wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > This morning I upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04 on a Dell Inspiron 9300. And I have a
> > problem with the video driver (Radeon X300). It used to work OK on 7.10 with
> > System > Preferences > Appearance set to "Normal".
> >
> > The problem resembles what I read here:
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/203809
> > And at the bottom of that page it says:
> > "the issue is fixed by removing fglrx which didn't work where as the free driver
> > did."
> >
> > I am a fairly capable computer user, but new to Linux. And I don't know how to
> > "remove fglrx" (nor put it back again, if it turns out to make things even worse!)
> >
> > I would be grateful for any advice.

Like you I installed 8.04. I did it on a separate partition, but just
the same had problems with the audio, not the video.

I could get sound from all but the plugins for my browsers. I went
round and round with it and finally tried to load Mplayer. This told
me I did not have the correct codexs and gave me a chance to download
them.

So don't give up, Ubuntu and all will help you.

Peace................ed

--
Edward Dunagin-Dunigan
Bozeman, MT 59718

Old 04-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Paolo

NoOp wrote:
> System|Administration|Synaptic...|Search|fglrx
>
> You'll most likely find that fglrx-control and xorg-driver-fglrx are
> installed. If so, right click them and mark for complete removal (that
> will ensure any config files also get removed), then 'Apply'.

Thanks. I did all this, and have had to reinstall them.
And the situation has not changed.

Not sure what to try next.
If anyone has over come the problems of getting an ATI Radeon x300 working with
Hardy, I should be happy to hear!
Paolo

Old 04-24-2008, 05:04 PM
NoOp

On 04/24/2008 08:45 AM, Paolo wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> System|Administration|Synaptic...|Search|fglrx
>>
>> You'll most likely find that fglrx-control and xorg-driver-fglrx are
>> installed. If so, right click them and mark for complete removal (that
>> will ensure any config files also get removed), then 'Apply'.
>
> Thanks. I did all this, and have had to reinstall them.
> And the situation has not changed.

You *had* to reinstall them, or just reinstalled them? What happened
when you uninstalled them?

Old 04-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Paolo

NoOp wrote:
>>> You'll most likely find that fglrx-control and xorg-driver-fglrx are
>>> installed. If so, right click them and mark for complete removal (that
>>> will ensure any config files also get removed), then 'Apply'.
>> Thanks. I did all this, and have had to reinstall them.
>> And the situation has not changed.
>
> You *had* to reinstall them, or just reinstalled them? What happened
> when you uninstalled them?

Thanks for your interest. It's all become rather a mess.

I got a responsive GUI (which started very slowly) running on minimum resolution
800x600 (the screen is 19200x1200) and which could not be changed.

This being said, I think I uninstalled too much. Because after doing the
System|Administration|Synaptic...|Search|fglrx
I then unistalled everything that search found (about 5 packets, I think).
Whereas, re-reading your message, I think you were meaning me to uninstall only
two :-(

Now I'm looking at the list again and trying to guess what to reinstall!

Paolo

Old 04-24-2008, 05:46 PM
NoOp

On 04/24/2008 10:33 AM, Paolo wrote:
>>> Thanks. I did all this, and have had to reinstall them.
>>> And the situation has not changed.
>>
>> You *had* to reinstall them, or just reinstalled them? What happened
>> when you uninstalled them?
>
> Thanks for your interest. It's all become rather a mess.
>
> I got a responsive GUI (which started very slowly) running on minimum resolution
> 800x600 (the screen is 19200x1200) and which could not be changed.
>
> This being said, I think I uninstalled too much. Because after doing the
> System|Administration|Synaptic...|Search|fglrx
> I then unistalled everything that search found (about 5 packets, I think).
> Whereas, re-reading your message, I think you were meaning me to uninstall only
> two :-(
>
> Now I'm looking at the list again and trying to guess what to reinstall!
>
> Paolo

You'll probably want to put xserver-xorg-video-ati back.

However, for your screen resolution:

Applications|Other|Screens and Graphics if System|Preferences|Screen
Resolution isn't working.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:01 PM
NoOp

On 04/24/2008 10:46 AM, NoOp wrote:

> You'll probably want to put xserver-xorg-video-ati back.

Then again... I ran across this a moment ago when trying to figure out
an XrandR problem on one of my systems (not related to your prob):

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2#the_Virtual_screen
<quote>
* Ubuntu
o Version 7.10 (Gutsy) of Ubuntu includes support for Xorg 7.3
with RandR 1.2 Xorg 7.3
o Installing Ubuntu on a ThinkPad R60e for a revised and more
specific version of this page
o Ubuntu source for Intel
o gutsy version of xserver-xorg-ati has some major problems on
ATI Radeon for (Category:X Series) and possibly others. The solution is
to downgrade to the feisty version
</quote>

and:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/xserver-xorg-driver-ati/+bug/148408

So heads up.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Paolo

NoOp wrote:
> You'll probably want to put xserver-xorg-video-ati back.

Yes, it's there.

> However, for your screen resolution:
>
> Applications|Other|Screens

No such option. I have Applications | Other | ATI Catalyst Control Center
(which says Problem ... No ATI graphics driver is installed, or the ATI driver
is not functioning properly...)

and Graphics if System|Preferences|Screen
> Resolution isn't working.

When I try to go there, I get the message: "The X Server does not support the
XRandR extension. Runtime resolution changes to the display size are not available."

- - -

At present the screen is running at the right resolution, but *extremely* slowly.

Paolo

Old 04-24-2008, 06:20 PM
Paolo

NoOp wrote:
> gutsy version of xserver-xorg-ati has some major problems on
> ATI Radeon for (Category:X Series) and possibly others. The solution is
> to downgrade to the feisty version
>
> So heads up.

Sure, head's never been down

But if you can help me translate "solution is to downgrade to the feisty
version" into a practical course of action, I'd be grateful...

Paolo