Old 04-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Default Ubuntu 7.10 and DVD-RAM

OS: Ubuntu 7.10 x86.

Hi, I have the DVD recorder AD-7203A and it supports DVD-RAM. I got a
TDK DVD-RAM "TYPE IV" 9.4 GB DOUBLE SIDED.

However after I formatted it with the command

mkudffs --utf8 --media-type=dvdram /dev/hda

it appears as having capacity 4.3 GB.

Any info would be welcome.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> OS: Ubuntu 7.10 x86.
>

> Hi, I have the DVD recorder AD-7203A and it supports DVD-RAM. I got a
> TDK DVD-RAM "TYPE IV" 9.4 GB DOUBLE SIDED.
>

> However after I formatted it with the command
>
> mkudffs --utf8 --media-type=dvdram /dev/hda
>
> it appears as having capacity 4.3 GB.
>

> Any info would be welcome.

Actually I can't make it work at all, either via Nautilus (the DVD-RAM
disc doesn't appear writeable) or Nero Linux 3.5.0.1 (the later hasn't
any DVD-RAM option).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-23-2008, 02:09 PM
"Owen Townend"

On 23/04/2008, Ioannis Vranos <ivranos@freemail.gr> wrote:
Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> OS: Ubuntu 7.10 x86.
>

> Hi, I have the DVD recorder AD-7203A and it supports DVD-RAM. I got a
> TDK DVD-RAM "TYPE IV" 9.4 GB DOUBLE SIDED.
>

> However after I formatted it with the command
>
> mkudffs --utf8 --media-type=dvdram /dev/hda
>
> it appears as having capacity 4.3 GB.
>

> Any info would be welcome.

Actually I can't make it work at all, either via Nautilus (the DVD-RAM
disc doesn't appear writeable) or Nero Linux 3.5.0.1 (the later hasn't
any DVD-RAM option).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Hey,
**The*first*issue*-*capacity*-*is*a*simple*fix.*Physically*remove*the*disk,*flip *it*over,*re-insert.
**The other issue is that DVD-RAM disks are recognised as hard disks, rather than trying

Nero, you should be able to navigate to the mount (usually /media/disk or similar) and
read/write directly same as a USB thumb-drive.

cheers,
Owen.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Owen Townend wrote:

> On 23/04/2008, *Ioannis Vranos* <ivranos@freemail.gr
> <mailto:ivranos@freemail.gr>> wrote:
>
> Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> > OS: Ubuntu 7.10 x86.
> >

> > Hi, I have the DVD recorder AD-7203A and it supports DVD-RAM. I got a
> > TDK DVD-RAM "TYPE IV" 9.4 GB DOUBLE SIDED.
> >

> > However after I formatted it with the command
> >
> > mkudffs --utf8 --media-type=dvdram /dev/hda
> >
> > it appears as having capacity 4.3 GB.
> >

> > Any info would be welcome.
>>

>> Actually I can't make it work at all, either via Nautilus (the DVD-RAM
>> disc doesn't appear writeable) or Nero Linux 3.5.0.1
>> <http://3.5.0.1> (the later hasn't
>> any DVD-RAM option).
>>

>> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>

> Hey,
> The first issue - capacity - is a simple fix. Physically remove the disk, flip it over, re-insert.

However 4.3* 2< 9.4 GB

> The other issue is that DVD-RAM disks are recognised as hard disks,
> rather than trying
> Nero, you should be able to navigate to the mount (usually /media/disk
> or similar)

It automounts it under media/cdrom0 as read-only and it doesn't paste.

My /etc/fstab:

john@john-desktop:~$ cat /etc/fstab
#
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/hdc3
UUID=d8190421-05fc-4644-ad51-3164c4a8ab33 / ext3
defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/hdc2
UUID=3d48355b-d6da-475f-a418-be481dbfdf4f /boot ext3
defaults 0 2
# /dev/hdc1
UUID=7a84ed6b-0635-4380-9e71-b61ea6ca18d1 none swap sw
0 0
/dev/hda /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec 0 0

john@john-desktop:~$

I had modified the line

"dev/hda /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0"

"dev/hda /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 rw, user,noauto,exec 0 0"

and it allowed to paste, but when I tried to paste I got a read-only error.

> and
> read/write directly same as a USB thumb-drive.

Do you use DVD-RAMs? If yes may you post your /etc/fstab?

Old 04-23-2008, 04:41 PM
"Owen Townend"

On 24/04/2008, Ioannis Vranos <ivranos@freemail.gr> wrote:

> Hey,
>** The first issue - capacity - is a simple fix. Physically remove the disk, flip it over, re-insert.

However 4.3* 2< 9.4 GB
Hey,
**This*is*the*same*issue*as*formatting*hard*disks* and*not*seeing*the*full*capacity.

**The*disks*are*advertised*as*literally*4.7*billio n bytes per side which
when formatted comes out as 4.7x10^9 / 1024^3 = 4.377216101GB.

>** The other issue is that DVD-RAM disks are recognised as hard disks,
> rather than trying
> Nero, you should be able to navigate to the mount (usually /media/disk
> or similar)

It automounts it under media/cdrom0 as read-only and it doesn't paste.

My /etc/fstab:

john@john-desktop:~$ cat /etc/fstab
#

proc************/proc********** proc****defaults********0****** 0
# /dev/hdc3
UUID=d8190421-05fc-4644-ad51-3164c4a8ab33 /************** ext3
defaults,errors=remount-ro 0****** 1
# /dev/hdc2
UUID=3d48355b-d6da-475f-a418-be481dbfdf4f /boot********** ext3

defaults********0****** 2
# /dev/hdc1
UUID=7a84ed6b-0635-4380-9e71-b61ea6ca18d1 none************swap****sw
**********0****** 0
/dev/hda********/media/cdrom0** udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0****** 0
/dev/fd0********/media/floppy0**auto****rw,user,noauto,exec 0****** 0

john@john-desktop:~$

I had modified the line

"dev/hda********/media/cdrom0** udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0****** 0"

"dev/hda**** /media/cdrom0** udf,iso9660 rw, user,noauto,exec 0****** 0"

and it allowed to paste, but when I tried to paste I got a read-only error.

> and
> read/write directly same as a USB thumb-drive.

Do you use DVD-RAMs? If yes may you post your /etc/fstab?

Sorry,*I*haven't*used*one*since*I*left*my*last*job *late last year.
A few things to check though:
**Check your permissions and/or try writing as root.
**Try formatting it as ext3*to*rule*out*a*udf*issue.

**If the disk is in a cartridge*check*that*there*isn't*a*write-protect*tab*set.
****Though if you didn't get the errors when formatting then it is probably not this.

cheers,
Owen.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Markus Schönhaber

Ioannis Vranos wrote:

> Owen Townend wrote:

>> The other issue is that DVD-RAM disks are recognised as hard disks,
>> rather than trying
>> Nero, you should be able to navigate to the mount (usually /media/disk
>> or similar)
>

> It automounts it under media/cdrom0 as read-only and it doesn't paste.

Is it really mounted ro (the output of mount will tell you) or does the
account you use simply have not enough rights to write to the filesystem?
If the latter, change the permissions on the mounted disk accordingly.

Regards
mks

Old 04-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Ioannis Vranos

OS: Ubuntu 7.10 x86.

Issue: Not being able to write to DVD-RAM.

I am sending 3 screenshots attached that display the behaviour of the
situation, with the following /etc/fstab configuration:

Old 04-23-2008, 05:29 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>
>> Owen Townend wrote:
>
>>> The other issue is that DVD-RAM disks are recognised as hard disks,
>>> rather than trying
>>> Nero, you should be able to navigate to the mount (usually /media/disk
>>> or similar)
>>
>> It automounts it under media/cdrom0 as read-only and it doesn't paste.
>
> Is it really mounted ro (the output of mount will tell you) or does the
> account you use simply have not enough rights to write to the filesystem?
> If the latter, change the permissions on the mounted disk accordingly.

john@john-desktop:~$ mount -v /media/cdrom0
/dev/hda on /media/cdrom0 type udf (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=john)
john@john-desktop:~$

Can you understand from the above?

Thanks,

Ioannis

Old 04-23-2008, 05:57 PM
Derek Broughton

Ioannis Vranos wrote:

> Owen Townend wrote:

>> The first issue - capacity - is a simple fix. Physically remove the
>> disk, flip it over, re-insert.
>

> However 4.3* 2< 9.4 GB

About as close as I expect with a hard drive. Media's "nominal" capacity is
always a long way short of its actual capacity, and losing almost 10%
doesn't seem terribly odd to me.
--
derek

Old 04-23-2008, 06:23 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>> Ioannis Vranos wrote:

>>> It automounts it under media/cdrom0 as read-only and it doesn't paste.
>> Is it really mounted ro (the output of mount will tell you) or does the
>> account you use simply have not enough rights to write to the filesystem?
>> If the latter, change the permissions on the mounted disk accordingly.
>

> john@john-desktop:~$ mount -v /media/cdrom0
> /dev/hda on /media/cdrom0 type udf (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=john)
> john@john-desktop:~$
>

> Can you understand from the above?

I ran Nautilus as a root and the copy & paste into the DVD-RAM disc
works perfectly.

I changed the permissions of /media/cdrom and /media/cdrom0 to full
permissions for my user account (john) recursively via Nautilus ran as
root, while the DVD-RAM disc was mounted, but after unmounting and
remounting, the permissions reported by right-clicking the DVD-RAM icon
on the user desktop remain for root.

In the mean-time the access permissions for /media/cdrom and
/media/cdrom0 remain for john (my user account).

Any ideas for enabling writing with my user account (apart from the
current solution of running Nautilus via sudo), would be welcome.