Old 04-23-2008, 09:23 AM
"Michael Schmarck"

Default 8.04: Xfce doesn't start properly

Hello!

I installed the JeOS 8.04 rc image in a VMware Server 1.x guest
environment, running on a Gentoo Linux x86 host (32bit).
The JeOS image has been downloaded from Ubuntu at
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/jeos/releases/8.04/rc/. After having
installed Ubuntu in VMware, I installed all the available
updates using aptitude.

After having done that, I installed Xubuntu (or at least
that was the intention... *G*), by running:

sudo aptitude install xubuntu-desktop

This worked fine (I assume, as there were no error messages).
I then rebooted and was greeted with a nice login screen,
where I selected the "Xfce Session", as I'd like to use
Xfce.

http://s7.directupload.net/file/d/1408/7rk2z56o_png.htm

I was able to login, BUT:

http://s4.directupload.net/file/d/1408/hr6zeiym_png.htm

That's all I see. Compared to Xfce on Gentoo Linux, I'm
missing the panel and also menus. I can manually start
xfce4-panel, but that's not the way it should be, shouldn't it?

Any ideas about what I might have done wrong and how to
fix that?

Thanks a lot for your consideration!
Michael