Old 04-23-2008, 06:40 AM
William Hammond

Default Samba Server

I would like to set up Ubuntu Server 7.10 as a Samba Server.

I would like to have a GUI on occasion ( I love YAST), but I
really like command line most of the time, and then some kind
of limited GUI (startx) for setup (Groups, Users, Shares, Backup,
Internet, etc..).

SWAT doesn't seem to work, but I just got Ubuntu installed.

Any suggestions about the right tools to use will be very helpful.
I am experienced with SAMBA, but not Ubuntu.

I have a number of small sites that just need a simple and reliable
File Server. For me I want low maintenance.

The right setup can provide that.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:50 AM
Ed Greshko

William Hammond wrote:
> I would like to set up Ubuntu Server 7.10 as a Samba Server.
>
> I would like to have a GUI on occasion ( I love YAST), but I
> really like command line most of the time, and then some kind
> of limited GUI (startx) for setup (Groups, Users, Shares, Backup,
> Internet, etc..).
>
> SWAT doesn't seem to work, but I just got Ubuntu installed.
>
> Any suggestions about the right tools to use will be very helpful.
> I am experienced with SAMBA, but not Ubuntu.
>
> I have a number of small sites that just need a simple and reliable
> File Server. For me I want low maintenance.
>
> The right setup can provide that.

I don't see any "?" in the above so it isn't clear what you are asking. At
least not to me.

Are you asking if there is command line interface to maintain the smb.conf
file? Or are you asking for a GUI other than SWAT? Or are you asking for
help in determining why SWAT doesn't seem to work. (You didn't give any
details.)

FWIW, SWAT is one tool that I use to maintain smb.conf. The other is vi.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:03 AM
William Hammond

At 11:50 PM 4/22/2008, you wrote:
>William Hammond wrote:
> > I would like to set up Ubuntu Server 7.10 as a Samba Server.
> >
> > I would like to have a GUI on occasion ( I love YAST), but I
> > really like command line most of the time, and then some kind
> > of limited GUI (startx) for setup (Groups, Users, Shares, Backup,
> > Internet, etc..).
> >
> > SWAT doesn't seem to work, but I just got Ubuntu installed.
> >
> > Any suggestions about the right tools to use will be very helpful.
> > I am experienced with SAMBA, but not Ubuntu.
> >
> > I have a number of small sites that just need a simple and reliable
> > File Server. For me I want low maintenance.
> >
> > The right setup can provide that.
>
>I don't see any "?" in the above so it isn't clear what you are asking. At
>least not to me.
>
>Are you asking if there is command line interface to maintain the smb.conf
>file? Or are you asking for a GUI other than SWAT? Or are you asking for
>help in determining why SWAT doesn't seem to work. (You didn't give any

Sorry it I wasn't clear, I'm looking for the best tools to set up and
maintain a
Samba - Ubuntu Server 7.10.

I'd like to install some kind of GUI, but one that I could call with startx.
Leaving the system at the command line most of the time.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:11 AM
Ed Greshko

William Hammond wrote:

> Sorry it I wasn't clear, I'm looking for the best tools to set up and
> maintain a
> Samba - Ubuntu Server 7.10.
>
> I'd like to install some kind of GUI, but one that I could call with startx.
> Leaving the system at the command line most of the time.

http://us3.samba.org/samba/GUI/ lists some potentials. I don't know if
they are part of the normal distribution. As I said, I use SWAT and vi. I
suppose one question is...what is wrong with SWAT?

Old 04-23-2008, 07:28 AM
William Hammond

At 12:11 AM 4/23/2008, you wrote:
>William Hammond wrote:
>
> > Sorry it I wasn't clear, I'm looking for the best tools to set up and
> > maintain a
> > Samba - Ubuntu Server 7.10.
> >
> > I'd like to install some kind of GUI, but one that I could call
> with startx.
> > Leaving the system at the command line most of the time.
>
>http://us3.samba.org/samba/GUI/ lists some potentials. I don't know if
>they are part of the normal distribution. As I said, I use SWAT and vi. I
>suppose one question is...what is wrong with SWAT?

Since I just installed swat sudo apt-get install swat
I forgot about checking initd,
The command doesn't fail, it just doesn't come up and I have
to do a ctrl+c to abort.

Your a brave man for using vi,

I use these servers to run my application - Windows based.
I've got enough on my plate keeping up with .NET.

So I need to be able to perform basic Linux tasks without having
to become expert.

If I use OpenSuSE, it's very easy to manage with YAST, but it's a GUI, all the
time.

I think Ubuntu would perform better, if it's set up right and I can
go GUI with Startx.

Some books recommend X with something like Windowmaker, but I don't see those
options with Ubuntu

Old 04-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Ed Greshko

William Hammond wrote:

> Since I just installed swat sudo apt-get install swat
> I forgot about checking initd,
> The command doesn't fail, it just doesn't come up and I have
> to do a ctrl+c to abort.

What command? I get the feeling you are not using or doing what is intended
with getting swat started.

Have you....

1. Started openbsd-inetd
2. Simply entered http://localhost:901/

That is all that is needed....

> Your a brave man for using vi,
>
> I use these servers to run my application - Windows based.
> I've got enough on my plate keeping up with .NET.
>
> So I need to be able to perform basic Linux tasks without having
> to become expert.
>
> If I use OpenSuSE, it's very easy to manage with YAST, but it's a GUI, all the
> time.
>
> I think Ubuntu would perform better, if it's set up right and I can
> go GUI with Startx.
>
> Some books recommend X with something like Windowmaker, but I don't see those
> options with Ubuntu
>

>> --

No, I do not know what the Schadenfreude is. Please tell me, because
I'm dying to know.

-- Homer Simpson
When Flanders Failed

Old 04-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Michael Zoet

> Since I just installed swat sudo apt-get install swat
> I forgot about checking initd,
> The command doesn't fail, it just doesn't come up and I have
> to do a ctrl+c to abort.

There is no init.d script for swat, because it is started by inetd (or
xinetd, or another super daemon, depending what you use for this). Just
try to find out what you are using (inetd, xinetd, something else) and
look in the configuration file if swat is setup correctly. Feel free to
ask if you need help for this.
> Your a brave man for using vi,

<OFFTOPIC>
Oh then I am brave, too ;-). As several other Unix/Linux admins ;-). vi
(and maybe emacs, too) is really good for editing configuration files!
But you have to learn the "vi way". I can only recommend to try it.
There are a lot of tutorials and "How Tos" in the net. And you can
rescue a Unix/Linux system with it, even when al these nice GUIs break
apart.
</OFFTOPIC>

> Some books recommend X with something like Windowmaker, but I don't see those
> options with Ubuntu

I think you should try and read Ubuntu documentation first, before you
try some other documentation.

Two great resource is the Ubuntu Wiki:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/

and

https://help.ubuntu.com/

And several good forums and localized websites. (For germany it is
wiki.ubuntuuser.de)

Here are three links that might help you:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ComprehensiveSambaGuide?highlight=(Samba)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSambaPDC

and you really should read

man swat

And search the web for "setting up SWAT in Ubuntu" or something similar.

And I can not resist to say this: all I ever needed to configure a SAMBA
server was the vi and SWAT. This works great. Even on complex networks.

Hope this helps,

Michael

Old 04-23-2008, 08:51 AM
William Hammond

At 01:14 AM 4/23/2008, you wrote:
>William Hammond wrote:
>
> > Since I just installed swat sudo apt-get install swat
> > I forgot about checking initd,
> > The command doesn't fail, it just doesn't come up and I have
> > to do a ctrl+c to abort.
>
>What command? I get the feeling you are not using or doing what is intended
>with getting swat started.

You are right, now I just have to find that GUI...
Thanks

Old 04-23-2008, 08:59 AM
William Hammond

At 01:36 AM 4/23/2008, you wrote:

> > Since I just installed swat sudo apt-get install swat
> > I forgot about checking initd,
> > The command doesn't fail, it just doesn't come up and I have
> > to do a ctrl+c to abort.
> >
>There is no init.d script for swat, because it is started by inetd (or
>xinetd, or another super daemon, depending what you use for this). Just
>try to find out what you are using (inetd, xinetd, something else) and
>look in the configuration file if swat is setup correctly. Feel free to
>ask if you need help for this.
> > Your a brave man for using vi,
> >
><OFFTOPIC>
>Oh then I am brave, too ;-). As several other Unix/Linux admins ;-). vi
>(and maybe emacs, too) is really good for editing configuration files!
>But you have to learn the "vi way". I can only recommend to try it.
>There are a lot of tutorials and "How Tos" in the net. And you can
>rescue a Unix/Linux system with it, even when al these nice GUIs break
>apart.
></OFFTOPIC>
> >
> > Some books recommend X with something like Windowmaker, but I
> don't see those
> > options with Ubuntu
> >
>I think you should try and read Ubuntu documentation first, before you
>try some other documentation.
>
>Two great resource is the Ubuntu Wiki:
>
>https://wiki.ubuntu.com/
>
>and
>
>https://help.ubuntu.com/
>
>And several good forums and localized websites. (For germany it is
>wiki.ubuntuuser.de)
>
>Here are three links that might help you:
>
>https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ComprehensiveSambaGuide?highlight=(Samba)
>
>https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba
>
>https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSambaPDC
>
>and you really should read
>
>man swat
>
>And search the web for "setting up SWAT in Ubuntu" or something similar.
>
>And I can not resist to say this: all I ever needed to configure a SAMBA
>server was the vi and SWAT. This works great. Even on complex networks.
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Michael

Getting way off topic and it's my fault.
Swat was an easy solution,
I have read and am reading.
I don't want to become an administrator and have no need to.
What I want is suggestions of those that have flown before me for
some basic add on tools
to make the process easier. I will never need to write a script, I
don't develop on Linux (at least not for now).
I use Delphi, .NET, C# and Visual Foxpro, that's enough for now.

The Ubuntu server is only going to do two things, a File Server
(Samba) and backup, probably a commercial
product like NovaNET to make it easier for users on site where there
is no IT help. I have a few of these running
now under SuSE SLES 9, running without incident for several years now.

I want to duplicate that ease with Ubuntu Server.
Sorry for bringing Swat into the picture.

You have all been very patient and helpful.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Michael Zoet