Old 04-22-2008, 09:33 PM
John Hubbard

Default photo editing

So not too long ago a friend of mine was challenged to eat an entire pie
in an hour. He succeeded and I have pictures of it. I would like to
insert a 'time left mm:ss' at the bottom corner of every image. I would
like to do this with bash scripts and/or java code. My preference is
bash but if something is too hard I am sure that I can figure out how to
do it with java. I need to know how to:
1) read exif time/date from a jpg file
2) take all of those time/dates and calculate time left. (I can easily
do this with java but can it be done from a bash script?)
3) turn all of the time left strings into time left images
4) super impose time left images over original images and save as new
file.

Oh and to make things easier the images are not all the same
orientation. (Some are 3888x2592 others are 2592x3888)
So if there is anyone out there who know how to do any of this from the
command line, or with java code, I would appreciate it.

--
-john

2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
0b11000100 || !0b11000100
0b11000100 || 0b00111011
0b11111111
255, that is the answer.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:30 PM
"Matthew Clarke"

http://www.imagemagick.org ?

--
Cheers,
MC

Old 04-23-2008, 03:47 AM
"Owen Townend"

So not too long ago a friend of mine was challenged to eat an entire pie
in an hour.**He succeeded and I have pictures of it.**I would like to
insert a 'time left mm:ss' at the bottom corner of every image.**I would

like to do this with bash scripts and/or java code.**My preference is
bash but if something is too hard I am sure that I can figure out how to
do it with java.**I need to know how to:
1) read exif time/date from a jpg file

Have*a*look*at*EXIFutils*and/or*`apt-cache*search*exif`*

2) take all of those time/dates and calculate time left.**(I can easily
do this with java but can it be done from a bash script?)
The**`date` command can manipulate date strings, it can take
arguments giving the format of your date string and return it in another format.

3) turn all of the time left strings into time left images
You could do this using php
Have a look at:
php5-cli*using gd http://au.php.net/gd
http://kore-nordmann.de/blog/image_creation_with_php_texts.html

4) super impose time left images over original images and save as new
file.
If you use php as above, then this functionality is included*.

Oh and to make things easier the images are not all the same
orientation.**(Some are 3888x2592 others are 2592x3888)
So if there is anyone out there who know how to do any of this from the
command line, or with java code, I would appreciate it.

The*exif*tools*can get you*the*dimensions*and you could use that simply as
if ( $width > $height ) { /* Do horizontal image */ }
else { /* Do vertical image */ }

Some cameras save the images this way, others save them all in the same

orientation and include an orientation field. If yours are intermixed with no
obvious (to a machine) way to tell their orientation then you could always
manually split them into two folders or naming schemes and operate on them

individually.

cheers,
Owen.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:55 AM
"Kim Briggs"

On 4/22/08, John Hubbard <ender8282@yahoo.com> wrote:
> So not too long ago a friend of mine was challenged to eat an entire pie
> in an hour. He succeeded and I have pictures of it. I would like to
> insert a 'time left mm:ss' at the bottom corner of every image. I would
> like to do this with bash scripts and/or java code. My preference is
> bash but if something is too hard I am sure that I can figure out how to
> do it with java. I need to know how to:
> 1) read exif time/date from a jpg file
> 2) take all of those time/dates and calculate time left. (I can easily
> do this with java but can it be done from a bash script?)
> 3) turn all of the time left strings into time left images
> 4) super impose time left images over original images and save as new
> file.
>
> Oh and to make things easier the images are not all the same
> orientation. (Some are 3888x2592 others are 2592x3888)
> So if there is anyone out there who know how to do any of this from the
> command line, or with java code, I would appreciate it.
>
> --
> -john

Hi John,

I think I have the scripts already made for you (almost). You will
need to combine the EXIF data:

http://kimbriggs.com/computers/computer-software/rename-jpg-timestamp-exif-data.file

with the tagging /watermark script (yes, it uses imagemagick):

http://kimbriggs.com/computers/computer-software/perl-image-manipulation.file

HTH,
--
http://kimbriggs.com