Old 04-22-2008, 05:21 AM
"Ralph Molina"

Default ubuntu 7.10 server edition

After installing my ubuntu server above and
rebooting the system, I come to a section where I have to log in, and even
though I use the username I created during the server installation and
password,* I can't log in. Why?
Any help appreciated,
R. Molina

Old 04-22-2008, 05:17 PM
"Net Warrior"

Hi.

Only on X session? can you log in on a normal tty terminal?
What's on the logs? /var/log/xdm.log /var/log/messages , any error indicating login failed and the like?
Did you installed a windows manager? KDE, GNOME?

Bytes.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Nils Kassube

Ralph Molina wrote:
> After installing my ubuntu server above and rebooting the system, I
> come to a section where I have to log in, and even though I use the
> username I created during the server installation and password, I
> can't log in. Why?

You aren't the first to report this problem, however until now I haven't
seen an explanation what went wrong. This should help you get access to
the machine: <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LostPassword>.

Nils

Old 04-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Karl Larsen

Ralph Molina wrote:
> After installing my ubuntu server above and rebooting the system, I come to a section where I have to log in, and even though I use the username I created during the server installation and password, I can't log in. Why?
> Any help appreciated,
> R. Molina

You used the wrong name or password and we can't tell which. It is
important to write down both before you have this problem. You can drop
back to init 1 and make a new password if that is the problem.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 04-22-2008, 07:00 PM
"Jeffrey Tooker"

I do not that this is relavant to your problem. When installing 7.10 in my
computer (not server)it asked for my user name, as the owner. When I made
the entry I somehow lost the space between owner and my name. The owner
name became "ownerjeffrey". I happend to figure it out only by chance as
the screen above said "ownerjeffrey". I put it in and it worked.

Jeffrey Tooker
Paynes Creek Ca.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Derek Broughton

Karl Larsen wrote:

> Ralph Molina wrote:
>> After installing my ubuntu server above and rebooting the system, I come
>> to a section where I have to log in, and even though I use the username I
>> created during the server installation and password, I can't log in.
>> Why? Any help appreciated, R. Molina
>>
> You used the wrong name or password and we can't tell which. It is
> important to write down both before you have this problem. You can drop
> back to init 1 and make a new password if that is the problem.

Not necessarily. In at least one case we had a knowledgeable user who was
able to verify that the system was never created with an initial user -
the /etc/password file had no entry for any non-system user. There's got
to be a bug in the installation procedure somewhere, but it isn't either
obvious or common.
--
derek

Old 04-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Karl Larsen

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>

>> Ralph Molina wrote:
>>
>>> After installing my ubuntu server above and rebooting the system, I come
>>> to a section where I have to log in, and even though I use the username I
>>> created during the server installation and password, I can't log in.
>>> Why? Any help appreciated, R. Molina
>>>

>> You used the wrong name or password and we can't tell which. It is
>> important to write down both before you have this problem. You can drop
>> back to init 1 and make a new password if that is the problem.
>>

> Not necessarily. In at least one case we had a knowledgeable user who was
> able to verify that the system was never created with an initial user -
> the /etc/password file had no entry for any non-system user. There's got
> to be a bug in the installation procedure somewhere, but it isn't either
> obvious or common.

Yes that could be the case. I have loaded 7.10 and Hardy from the
liveCD's and each asked for and remembered user name and password. But
there might be a way to skip that step or miss it because you went back
to do something.

Interesting :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 04-23-2008, 01:52 PM
"Kenny Coyle"

Hi, if the problem hasn't been solved yet, perhaps this can help (i'm
no expert though )

Reboot the machine, and at the Grub menu there should be an option for
"fail-safe" mode, select that and boot the machine.

once the server has booted, you will find that there isn't any need
for a username or password and that you have a root terminal.

from that type the command "passwd <username>" (without quotes and
where <username> is the name of the user that you created at
installation).

Just reboot the way it's meant to boot up afterwards and from there
you will be able to log in with the username and the password that you
have just specified.

I hope this helps (and i'm kinda hoping that I havent nudged someone
elses answer, sorry if I have)

---
Thanks,
Kenny.