Old 04-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Joseph

Default Making Backup CD's

I have a CD of clone for copying a system onto CD's or another drive or
an image.

My question, since these start up before windows (on a MS drive), would
is also be able to copy an Ubuntu drive? ...or is there a program for
doing this?

Joseph

Old 04-22-2008, 08:37 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 11:36 AM, Joseph <ubuntu@e-pops.org> wrote:
> I have a CD of clone for copying a system onto CD's or another drive or
> an image.
> My question, since these start up before windows (on a MS drive), would
> is also be able to copy an Ubuntu drive? ...or is there a program for
> doing this?

Some can, some can't. Depends on the software and how it does it's 'cloning'
I'd look at the software itself and see what it mentions....

A lot of them are doing block level copies - those will copy whatever
is on the drive regardless of what it is. They don't look at the file
system at all. Some of them clone file by file so they aren't
copying all the blank space on the drive etc etc. Those ones have to
understand the Linux file system and boot loader... YMMV as they say.

Brian

Old 04-23-2008, 01:27 AM
Charlie Kravetz

On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 10:36 -0500, Joseph wrote:

> I have a CD of clone for copying a system onto CD's or another drive or
> an image.
>
> My question, since these start up before windows (on a MS drive), would
> is also be able to copy an Ubuntu drive? ...or is there a program for
> doing this?
>
> Joseph

As stated by Mario on Sunday, April 20, 2008, in reply to another
question about the same subject,
<quote>
Several backup strategies are discussed here, I hope you can find what
you need: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem
<end quote>

Please read the reference, it gives excellent information about backing
up your system and clone software available for linux.

--
Charlie Kravetz