Old 04-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Linda Hanigan

Default automounting external hard drive

I just bought a 500 GB seagate usb external hard drive. I want to use it
to backup several windows xp laptops and a Ubuntu computer. When it
automounts on the desktop it mounts as readonly. I'd like to change the
automount so it mounts read/write but I don't know where to find the
settings. Also how do I find out what type of file system is on it? It
is suppose to be mac and windows compatible.
Thanks
Linda

Old 04-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 10:04 -0500, Linda Hanigan wrote:
> When it automounts on the desktop it mounts as readonly. I'd like to
> change the automount so it mounts read/write but I don't know where to
> find the settings.

It is probably formatted with NTFS of FAT32.

External disks usually come preformatted with FAT32, but in this case
this would be weird since Linux did not have problems with FAT32 for
many years, and these disks ara always mounted read-only.
Writing to NTFS was a problem for a long time, which has been solved
quite recently.

If the disk is new, the default format should be stated on the package.
Otherwise, it is probably easiest to find out by attaching the disk in
Windows and checking the driver properties there.

General info for how to use FAT32 and NTFS disks in Ubuntu can be found
here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountingWindowsPartitions

NTFS treatment differed from Ubuntu version to Ubuntu version, because
this area was under heavy development. The upcoming Ubuntu 8.04 has
read/write access to NTFS disks by default, earlier versions require
some manual work. Follow the links from the URL I gave above.

PS.: Please don't "hijack" threads by replying to an existing thread and
changing the subject line. Please see here:

Old 04-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 19:08 +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> since Linux did not have problems with FAT32 for
> many years, and these disks ara always
> mounted read-only.
^^^^^^^^^^ <- argh, sorry. I meant "read/write"

Old 04-22-2008, 07:05 PM
James Tappin

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 19:08:50 +0200
Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:

MV> It is probably formatted with NTFS of FAT32.
MV>
MV> External disks usually come preformatted with FAT32, but in this
MV> case this would be weird since Linux did not have problems with
MV> FAT32 for many years, and these disks ara always mounted read-only.
MV> Writing to NTFS was a problem for a long time, which has been solved
MV> quite recently.

Big disks like the OP's 500Gb are more often NTFS, certainly my !Tb was
(since that one was intended as a backup unit not a transfer system, I
just reformatted it to EXT3)

Old 04-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 20:05 +0100, James Tappin wrote:

> Big disks like the OP's 500Gb are more often NTFS

I see. Seems logical