Old 04-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Default F-PROT antivirus for linux

Ioannis Vranos wrote:

> f-prot for linux is even better, it is free, it doesn't require a key
> and also there is xfprot.

More precisely F-PROT can be downloaded from here (version 4.6.8) and
XFPROT from here:

http://web.tiscali.it/sharp/xfprot

Old 04-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Res

it is free for a hgoime workstation, is is not free for a server (of ANY
kind) nor is it free for a work (commercial) workstation

--
Cheers
Res

I read usenet and lists in pine. But m$ outlook, thunderbird and gmail
often use html span/whatever for quotes, makes it hard to tell who said
what, so I dont try. If I ignore you, thats why! Use a compliant mailer.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Corrected:

http://www.f-prot.com/download/home_user/download_fplinux.html

Old 04-22-2008, 01:10 PM
Res

why would you use something that is not released, distributed or supported
by the anti virus company, thats a perfect way for a trojan devloper to
0wn you.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Ioannis Vranos

I have been using XFPROT for quite some time, I do not think it is a
trojan or something. If it was, all this time it exists it would be
recognised by antivirus scanners. Besides its source code is available.

XFPROT comes with a non-virus named EICAR, which is a standard way to
test if some antivirus really works:

http://www.rexswain.com/eicar.html

Old 04-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Joseph

Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Corrected:
>
>> f-prot for linux is even better, it is free, it doesn't require a key
>> and also there is xfprot.
>

> More precisely F-PROT can be downloaded from here (version 4.6.8)
>
> http://www.f-prot.com/download/home_user/download_fplinux.html
>

> and XFPROT from here:
>
> http://web.tiscali.it/sharp/xfprot

What is the difference between fprot and xfprot??

Old 04-22-2008, 01:46 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- Joseph <ubuntu@e-pops.org> wrote:

> Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> > Corrected:
> >

> What is the difference between fprot and xfprot??

Jossph, You can help yourself a lot by running the
show option for aptitude:

aptitude show fprot xfprot

This command line entry will show you the status of
each program(installed or not, automatic or not,etc),
what the dependencies are and conflicts are, and a
brief description of each that will tell you what the
program does,etc.
Not being snotty about it, just helping you help
yourself. If you don't get enough info with the show
option then you would want to google for each program
for more detailed info.
HTH,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 04-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Joseph wrote:
> Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>> Corrected:
>>
>>> f-prot for linux is even better, it is free, it doesn't require a key
>>> and also there is xfprot.
>>
>> More precisely F-PROT can be downloaded from here (version 4.6.8)
>>
>> http://www.f-prot.com/download/home_user/download_fplinux.html
>>

>> and XFPROT from here:
>>
>> http://web.tiscali.it/sharp/xfprot
>>

> What is the difference between fprot and xfprot??

XFPROT is a graphical user interface of the (command-line) F-PROT.