Old 04-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Matthias Andersson

Default Avast antivirus for linux

Old 04-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Karl Larsen

Matthias Andersson wrote:

So far ALL virus are written for Windows. Remember way over 90% of
all computers run Windows. I have never got a virus for Linux. I have a
directory full of windows virus that were sent to me by friends.

Avast just wants to collect money from us. I have the free Avast on
my wifes computer and they make it a pain to use. Most people pay Avast
for the nicer stuff.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 04-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Matthias Andersson wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Would it be possible to add Avast antivirus for linux into the Ubuntu
> repositories? The software is free for download - the only licensing
> issue is that the users will then have to get a license key from the
> avast homepage (this also free of charge).
>
> Cheers,
> Matthias Andersson

f-prot for linux is even better, it is free, it doesn't require a key
and also there is xfprot.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Joseph

Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Matthias Andersson wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Would it be possible to add Avast antivirus for linux into the Ubuntu
>> repositories? The software is free for download - the only licensing
>> issue is that the users will then have to get a license key from the
>> avast homepage (this also free of charge).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Matthias Andersson
>

> f-prot for linux is even better, it is free, it doesn't require a key
> and also there is xfprot.

Something bothers me with this....

I'm told that Linus is, a far as we know, impervious to virus'.... so why is there an anti-virus for an OS which doesn't
get sick?

Old 04-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Matthias Andersson

Old 04-22-2008, 12:46 PM
Atzelan

Joseph schrieb:
> Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>> Matthias Andersson wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Would it be possible to add Avast antivirus for linux into the Ubuntu
>>> repositories? The software is free for download - the only licensing
>>> issue is that the users will then have to get a license key from the
>>> avast homepage (this also free of charge).
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Matthias Andersson
>>
>> f-prot for linux is even better, it is free, it doesn't require a key
>> and also there is xfprot.
>>

> Something bothers me with this....
>
> I'm told that Linus is, a far as we know, impervious to virus'.... so why is there an anti-virus for an OS which doesn't
> get sick?

No system will ever be "impervious to virus". Linux is just a lot better
than many other systems (esp. the one with the w), mainly because:
"Like other Unix systems, Linux implements a multi-user environment
where users are granted specific privileges and there is some form of
access control implemented. As such, viruses typically have a diminished
ability to change or impact the host system."
See the rest at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_computer_viruses
Greetings.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Atzelan

Old 04-22-2008, 01:06 PM
"Steve Flynn"

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

> So far ALL virus are written for Windows. Remember way over 90% of

APART from all the viruses written for Mac OS* and *nix systems.

There is also the requirement for running a virus checker on email a
system is routing or say hosing on an FTP server.

--
Steve
people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Old 04-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Joseph wrote:
> Something bothers me with this....
>
> I'm told that Linus is, a far as we know, impervious to virus'.... so why is there an anti-virus for an OS which doesn't
> get sick?

Although the vast majority of viruses are for Windows, there are some
for Linux, mainly affecting unpatched servers like unpatched Apache Web
servers.

There are security updates for Linux applications.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Pastor JW

On Tuesday 22 April 2008, Steve Flynn wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
> > So far ALL virus are written for Windows. Remember way over 90% of
>
> APART from all the viruses written for Mac OS* and *nix systems.
>
> There is also the requirement for running a virus checker on email a
> system is routing or say hosing on an FTP server.

Clam which comes with the distro, seems well supported and integrates with
K-Mail at least. I would suppose it could work with other mailers as
well, ...It is only I that don't work well with other mailers!!

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org