Old 04-22-2008, 04:55 AM
Willis Taylor

Default configure client machine

So everyone told me to stop trying to use Samba and switch to NFS
because I'm moving away from windows completely. I set up the server as
per directions found on the net and when I tested, as per command line
directions it showed everything to be right.

So logic says that since the directions on the server worked the same
site should work equally well for the client machine, right? It didn't
and neither has any other site that is goggled for this purpose. Does
anyone know how to do this?

--
Bond Servant,
Bill Taylor

Old 04-22-2008, 11:11 AM
Karl Larsen

Willis Taylor wrote:
> So everyone told me to stop trying to use Samba and switch to NFS
> because I'm moving away from windows completely. I set up the server as
> per directions found on the net and when I tested, as per command line
> directions it showed everything to be right.
>
> So logic says that since the directions on the server worked the same
> site should work equally well for the client machine, right? It didn't
> and neither has any other site that is goggled for this purpose. Does
> anyone know how to do this?

I think the person who told you to just quit means please quit
trying to run Windows applications on Linux. If you want to move to
Linux, than there is no point to running Windows applications with samba.

Most people dual boot with Windows. If you just have to use a
Windows application then boot up in Windows.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 04-22-2008, 09:45 PM
David Vincent

Old 04-22-2008, 10:36 PM
NoOp

On 04/21/2008 09:55 PM, Willis Taylor wrote:
> So everyone told me to stop trying to use Samba and switch to NFS
> because I'm moving away from windows completely. I set up the server as
> per directions found on the net and when I tested, as per command line
> directions it showed everything to be right.
>
> So logic says that since the directions on the server worked the same
> site should work equally well for the client machine, right? It didn't
> and neither has any other site that is goggled for this purpose. Does
> anyone know how to do this?

Not sure why; what to do if someone stops by with their Windows only
laptop and you want to transfer files to an from?

Quite honestly, with all it's quirks, I only use Samba & all of my
machines are linux with the exception of one drive that I keep WinXP and
Win2K Server on for troubleshooting.

Example: I've converted my son's home over to Ubuntu only. However, he
uses Windows on his laptop as his job in the military requires it (don't
ask why, it just does). When he stops by and needs something fixed I can
easily transfer files to and from it using Samba. Ditto for my dual-boot
drive.

That said; you will need to provide more details of your nfs problem if
you are to expect any futher help. Have you also checked:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo