Old 04-21-2008, 03:15 PM
"James Cummings"

Default fsck status 8 on non-existent /dev/.tmp-254-1 dvice

Hiya,

I only rarely reboot my machine, so am unsurprised when it wants to
check the drives with fsck when I haven't done so for awhile. Earlier
this month I did so (on a machine still running Feisty) and when it
rebooted fsck ran into an error and landed in a maintenance shell.

Looking at /var/log/fsck/checkfs it has:

=====
Log of fsck -C -R -A -a
Mon Apr 7 11:10:42 2008

fsck 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/.tmp-254-1
/dev/.tmp-254-1:
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/.tmp-254-2
/dev/.tmp-254-2:
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

fsck died with exit status 8
=====

Of could there is no device /dev/.tmp-254-1 or .tmp-254-2 ....

The actual tmp partition seem to be controled by /dev/mapper/sda6
or in fstab:
UUID=d2ef1ca9-6964-4a64-8234-3569432ceed7 /tmp ext3 defaults 0 3

So why does fsck think there is this extra device, and how can I make
sure it boots smoothly? (I sometimes restart this machine from
remote...)

Thanks for any helpful suggestions,

-James

Old 04-22-2008, 04:53 PM
"James Cummings"

No one has any suggestions? I've not done anything weird on the
machines, and seems to be on a couple machines which have been through
a few upgrades. Any suggestions as to what might be causing it? I
don't want to have to turn off checkfs at boot entirely! Since one of
the machines is physically in a different country from me, I don't
want to have to keep having someone go and hit control-D to exit the
maintenance shell any time they have a little power blip.

help?

-James

Old 04-22-2008, 05:06 PM
R Kimber

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 17:53:36 +0100
James Cummings wrote:

> No one has any suggestions? I've not done anything weird on the
> machines, and seems to be on a couple machines which have been through
> a few upgrades. Any suggestions as to what might be causing it? I
> don't want to have to turn off checkfs at boot entirely! Since one of
> the machines is physically in a different country from me, I don't
> want to have to keep having someone go and hit control-D to exit the
> maintenance shell any time they have a little power blip.

There's an e2fsck mailing list somewhere, you might like to try that.
Google should find it for you.

--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

Old 04-24-2008, 10:46 PM
"James Cummings"

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 6:06 PM, R Kimber <rkimber@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> There's an e2fsck mailing list somewhere, you might like to try that.
> Google should find it for you.

Erm, ok. But I'm pretty sure the problem isn't e2fsck. It is doing
what it is told and complaining when it finds it is unable to scan
these non-existent devices that are attempted to be mounted by
checkfs. What I'd be more interested in is how to get rid of them
entirely. This has happened on two separate machines with pretty
standard setups, so I can't be the only experiencing this.

-James