Old 04-21-2008, 02:42 AM
"Jeffrey Tooker"

Default Thunderbird No Support HTTP

I went to the Thunderbird Wiki. Under support it does not mention HTTP. Is
there an add on package which will let TB support HTTP? My mail service
provider is HTTP.

Jeffrey Tooker
Paynes Creek Ca.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:07 AM
Jayson Rowe

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008, Jeffrey Tooker wrote:

> I went to the Thunderbird Wiki. Under support it does not mention HTTP. Is
> there an add on package which will let TB support HTTP? My mail service
> provider is HTTP.
>
> Jeffrey Tooker
> Paynes Creek Ca.

What mail service are you using? Generally HTTP is only going to be for
web-mail but many services also provide IMAP or POP3 access as well.

-jayson

Old 04-21-2008, 03:08 AM
Corey Bettenhausen

Jeffrey Tooker wrote:
> I went to the Thunderbird Wiki. Under support it does not mention HTTP. Is
> there an add on package which will let TB support HTTP? My mail service
> provider is HTTP.
You may get some more information/help from the Thunderbird folks:
http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/
-Corey

Old 04-21-2008, 03:45 AM
"Jeffrey Tooker"

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008, Jeffrey Tooker wrote:

> I went to the Thunderbird Wiki. Under support it does not mention
> HTTP. Is there an add on package which will let TB support HTTP? My
> mail service provider is HTTP.
>
> Jeffrey Tooker
> Paynes Creek Ca.

What mail service are you using? Generally HTTP is only going to be for
web-mail but many services also provide IMAP or POP3 access as well.

-jayson>>>

Jayson:

It is an MSN email address. It also ends up in Hotmail. So I believe that
is the reason for the HTTP. Right now I am so hacked at MSN I will leave
for Thunderbird and change my email address to the one provided by my ISP.
This whole MSN thing has been getting more unfriendly for some time. Now is
a good a time to go as any. Thanks to all for the help.

Jeffrey Tooker
Paynes Creek Ca.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:02 AM
Jayson Rowe

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008, Jeffrey Tooker wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Apr 2008, Jeffrey Tooker wrote:
>

>> I went to the Thunderbird Wiki. Under support it does not mention
>> HTTP. Is there an add on package which will let TB support HTTP? My
>> mail service provider is HTTP.
>>
>> Jeffrey Tooker
>> Paynes Creek Ca.
>>

> What mail service are you using? Generally HTTP is only going to be for
> web-mail but many services also provide IMAP or POP3 access as well.
>
> -jayson>>>
>
> Jayson:
>
> It is an MSN email address. It also ends up in Hotmail. So I believe that
> is the reason for the HTTP. Right now I am so hacked at MSN I will leave
> for Thunderbird and change my email address to the one provided by my ISP.
> This whole MSN thing has been getting more unfriendly for some time. Now is
> a good a time to go as any. Thanks to all for the help.
>
> Jeffrey Tooker
> Paynes Creek Ca.

Sorry to hear of your troubles with MSN. You may want to give GMail a try.
I find it a little more flexible than an ISP provided email service, in
that you won't have to get a new email address if you change ISP's and
GMail gives you WAY more storage than most ISPs. Plus you have the
flexability to use Webmail, POP3 or IMAP. I personally use IMAP so that I
can access my mail with actuall mail clients (Alpine in my case) in
various locations without having to use the webmail interface (which I
hate).

-jayson

Old 04-21-2008, 06:09 AM
"Jeffrey Tooker"

Jayson wrote:
Sorry to hear of your troubles with MSN. You may want to give GMail a try.
I find it a little more flexible than an ISP provided email service, in
that you won't have to get a new email address if you change ISP's and
GMail gives you WAY more storage than most ISPs. Plus you have the
flexability to use Webmail, POP3 or IMAP. I personally use IMAP so that I
can access my mail with actuall mail clients (Alpine in my case) in
various locations without having to use the webmail interface (which I
hate).

-jayson>>>

Jayson:

It sounds like good advice. However I have a small problem in that I have
several years of email files that I am trying to maintain. Fortunatly they
have been migrated over to Thunderbird. I can work from there with my new
email address. I am retired here and here I will stay untill health drives
me into town which is 30 mi down in the valley. Hopefully I will be here
many years. Is there a way in TB to export my existing email files to a
folder in the documents portion of my computer, rather than leaving them in
TB? I see that I am going to have to rethink my email archive.

Jeffrey Tooker
Paynes Creek Ca.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:25 AM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 23:09 -0700, Jeffrey Tooker wrote:

> [...]

With GOOGLE one gets information about HTTP !!!
HTTP ist the protocol for a / the brower/s !!
Principially it has NOTHING to do with (e-) mails !

One exception:
With webmail one accesses an existing (e-)mail domain per browser i.e
Blazer, Explorer, Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape, Opera, Safari, Seamonkey
and many others ...
... to get mails directly from there in the WWW like these:

http://mydatanet.com/webMail.html
https://email.secureserver.net/login.php?domain=email.freeusamail.com

Search again with GOOGLE !!!

Finally:
With Thunderbird as (e-)mailer one accesses its accounts direct to
download e-mails arrived on the respective accounts !!

So:
HTTP is for browsing and not for mailing ! ;-)

Cheers, svobi

Old 04-21-2008, 05:05 PM
NoOp

On 04/20/2008 07:42 PM, Jeffrey Tooker wrote:
> I went to the Thunderbird Wiki. Under support it does not mention HTTP. Is
> there an add on package which will let TB support HTTP? My mail service
> provider is HTTP.

I think you mean that your msn.com service is webmail. Try this:

http://webmail.mozdev.org/

Or, if you prefer, you can use an external webmail proxy:
http://www.freepops.org/en/

Freepops is in the Ubuntu repositories. You can install using Synaptic
(System|Administration|Synaptic Package Manager), or from the terminal:

sudo apt-get install freepops freepops-updater-fltk