Old 04-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Karl Larsen

Default cant install Ubuntu on my CPU

bob burnquest wrote:
> ok, i have an old Compaq Presario from 2001, it runs Windows XP SP2, i want to run Ubuntu on it instead of windows, so i can make it into a server, i downloaded 7.10 server edition, it loads great, but when i go to install it, the satus bar just gets stook, Freezes, wont move, and the CD doesnt read, well, i dont hear it load after i click to start or install Ubuntu.
>
> please help, i need to have a working Linux server as fast as possible.
>
> -Thanks
>
> E-mail back: cp-cheats@hotmail.com

> Going green? See the top 12 foods to eat organic.
> http://green.msn.com/galleries/photos/photos.aspx?gid=164&ocid=T003MSN51N1653A

How much RAM does the computer have? Are you loading from the Live CD?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 04-21-2008, 12:07 AM
Ioannis Vranos

bob burnquest wrote:
> ok, i have an old Compaq Presario from 2001, it runs Windows XP SP2, i
> want to run Ubuntu on it instead of windows, so i can make it into a
> server, i downloaded 7.10 server edition, it loads great, but when i go
> to install it, the satus bar just gets stook, Freezes, wont move, and
> the CD doesnt read, well, i dont hear it load after i click to start or
> install Ubuntu.
>
> please help, i need to have a working Linux server as fast as possible.

Although I may break some netiquette here, you may also try Scientific
Linux which is essentially the Red Hat Enterprise Linux source code
recompiled (another similar project is CentOS but I consider SL more
organised).

Old 04-21-2008, 12:39 AM
steve