Old 04-20-2008, 09:16 PM
Ted Hilts

Default Back Up Techniques

I used to use "dd" for backup of small partitions. This takes a lot of
time when trying to back up large partitions and complete hard drives.
I tried a commercial product running on the dual boot XP in order to
backup the entire disk including the 80GigB Ubuntu partition. However,
the commercial product (Acronis True Image) complained about
inconsistencies but I continued with the backup anyway. It took many
hours and consumed the CPU and neither XP or Ubuntu could run. XP would
actually run (slowly) but I wanted to work on Ubuntu. Also, I have no
way of testing the integrity of that part of the backup involving the
Ubuntu partition.

There is some kind of backup running on Ubuntu (or supposed to be) but I
have no indication when and what it is backing up. Apparently it was
installed as part of the initial installation.

I need some input on this whole issue. I would like to be able to work
on Ubuntu (involving heavy CPU usage) and have the backup solution work
when CPU usage tapers off. Also, I would like the backup routine to
feed the backup directly to a DVD. And I would like some kind of
verification that I have a legitimate backup on DVD and some way of
proving that is the case. Also, if Ubuntu dies I would like a process
that allows me to reinstall based directly on the DVD contents.

Thanks -- Ted

Old 04-21-2008, 04:33 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 15:16 -0600, Ted Hilts wrote:
> There is some kind of backup running on Ubuntu (or supposed to be) but I
> have no indication when and what it is backing up. Apparently it was
> installed as part of the initial installation.

No backup software is running in the default installation. How did you
get the idea?

> I need some input on this whole issue. I would like to be able to work
> on Ubuntu (involving heavy CPU usage) and have the backup solution work
> when CPU usage tapers off. Also, I would like the backup routine to
> feed the backup directly to a DVD. And I would like some kind of
> verification that I have a legitimate backup on DVD and some way of
> proving that is the case. Also, if Ubuntu dies I would like a process
> that allows me to reinstall based directly on the DVD contents.

Several backup strategies are discussed here, I hope you can find what
you need: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem

I doubt that any backup application takes CPU usage into account by
itself, but you can always renice the backup application:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nice_(Unix)