Old 11-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Bram Kuijper

Default screen flickers after switching back from terminal to gdm

Hi all,

If I want to fall back on a terminal, e.g. by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1/2/3,
it appears that I cannot go back to gdm/gnome on tty7. If I press
Ctrl+Alt+F7 to go back to gnome, the display is grey and flickers.

I then killed all gdm-related processes and restarted gnome by using
either the commands gdm or startx. In both cases, no luck: still, my
screen flickers and only shows grey.

However, I only have the problem of a flickering display after going
back from another tty to tty7 or when I restart gdm. I don't have the
problem of the flickering display when the computer is starting up and
boots gdm for the first time.

Does anybody have any pointers to information on flickering displays in
cases like this?

thanks a lot for any information,

Bram

PS: my xorg error log is in pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/m246e1a5d

PS2: my graphical card is a Intel 82Q963/Q965 Integrated Graphics
Controller. The graphics driver I use is the i810 driver.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:37 PM
"Caleb Marcus"

[...]

Controller. The graphics driver I use is the i810 driver.*What if you do < sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart >?

Old 11-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Bram Kuijper

Thanks for the hint on /etc/init.d/gdm restart, but sudo /etc/init.d/gdm
restart did gave the same result as before: a new gdm session starts up,
but this directly starts to flicker. To get back into my graphical
environment without flickering, I apparently have to reboot the whole
system.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:58 PM
Derek Broughton

Bram Kuijper wrote:

> Thanks for the hint on /etc/init.d/gdm restart, but sudo /etc/init.d/gdm
> restart did gave the same result as before: a new gdm session starts up,
> but this directly starts to flicker. To get back into my graphical
> environment without flickering, I apparently have to reboot the whole
> system.

Try:

sudo vbetool post

(which resets the graphics card)
--
derek

Old 11-28-2007, 05:11 PM
Aart Koelewijn

Op wo, 28-11-2007 te 15:13 +0100, schreef Bram Kuijper:
> Hi all,
>
> If I want to fall back on a terminal, e.g. by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1/2/3,
> it appears that I cannot go back to gdm/gnome on tty7. If I press
> Ctrl+Alt+F7 to go back to gnome, the display is grey and flickers.

You will have to use Alt+F7 (without the Ctrl)

Aart

Old 11-28-2007, 08:16 PM
Caleb Marcus

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 19:11 +0100, Aart Koelewijn wrote:

Op wo, 28-11-2007 te 15:13 +0100, schreef Bram Kuijper:
> Hi all,
>
> If I want to fall back on a terminal, e.g. by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1/2/3,
> it appears that I cannot go back to gdm/gnome on tty7. If I press
> Ctrl+Alt+F7 to go back to gnome, the display is grey and flickers.

You will have to use Alt+F7 (without the Ctrl)

Aart

No, the Ctrl won't break it... it's unnecessary, but it'll still work with it.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:39 AM
Bram Kuijper

Hi all,

thanks for the hint on sudo vbetool post, but when I executed this
command in the tty1 terminal, this also did not help to prevent the
flickering. I tried sudo vbetool post and then sudo /etc/init.d/gdm
restart, but this still leaves me with a flickering screen when gdm
boots up after restart.

what should I do to find out how this flickering screen is caused? Has
anyone any pointers to diagnostic tools I could use to find out what is
the problem?

thanks in advance,
Bram

Old 11-29-2007, 01:20 PM
Derek Broughton

Bram Kuijper wrote:

> thanks for the hint on sudo vbetool post, but when I executed this
> command in the tty1 terminal, this also did not help to prevent the
> flickering.

I think you'd need to run it in a terminal _inside_ your gnome session -
otherwise, you still have the same problem switching back from the terminal

However, check out the _other_ options for vbetool.
--
derek

Old 11-29-2007, 04:58 PM
NoOp

On 11/28/2007 06:13 AM, Bram Kuijper wrote:

> PS: my xorg error log is in pastebin:
> http://pastebin.com/m246e1a5d
>
> PS2: my graphical card is a Intel 82Q963/Q965 Integrated Graphics
> Controller. The graphics driver I use is the i810 driver.

You might want to go through the log and pay attention to the error
messages. For instance:

# (II) I810(0): Broken BIOSes cause the system to hang here.
# If you encounter this problem please add
# Option "DisplayInfo" "FALSE"
# to the Device section of your XF86Config file.

My guess is that the monitor is being set to a higher freq range than it
can handle when it returns from tty. My recommendation would be to force
it to 60hz and see if that fixes the problem.

Your monitor appears to support:

Timing characteristics
VESA GTF support............ Not supported
Horizontal scan range....... 24-83kHz
Vertical scan range......... 55-76Hz
Video bandwidth............. 140MHz
Extension blocks............ n/a
Timing recommendation #1.... 1280x1024 at 60Hz
Modeline................ "1280x1024" 108.000 1280 1328 1440 1688
1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync

Standard timings supported
640 x 480 at 60Hz - IBM VGA
640 x 480 at 67Hz - Mac II
640 x 480 at 72Hz - VESA
640 x 480 at 75Hz - VESA
720 x 400 at 70Hz - IBM VGA
800 x 600 at 56Hz - VESA
800 x 600 at 60Hz - VESA
800 x 600 at 72Hz - VESA
800 x 600 at 75Hz - VESA
832 x 624 at 75Hz - Mac II
1024 x 768 at 60Hz - VESA
1024 x 768 at 70Hz - VESA
1024 x 768 at 75Hz - VESA
1152 x 864 at 75Hz - VESA
1280 x 1024 at 60Hz - Iiyama
1280 x 1024 at 60Hz - VESA
1280 x 1024 at 75Hz - VESA

According to this:
http://www.911cd.net/forums//lofiversion/index.php?t15749.html
[scroll down to
RvdH
Feb 1 2006, 04:55 PM
cdob, thanks, finally a answer that answers my question]

However, I was installing a Gutsy for my son this past weekend & he has
a Samsung LCD monitor. I was playing around with the freq ranges and
encountered exactly what your are experiencing: grey screen flickering,
etc., etc. I set the timings to 60hz and all worked well after that.